Dave Nonis To Address Media RE: Today's Free Agency/Trade Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
That would be a waste of Kadri's skill to play with those two.

He just might get a lot of open space with those two. Kadri will be on the 2nd line but someone said something like Komarov-Ott-Clarkson. That would be fun to watch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He just might get a lot of open space with those two. Kadri will be on the 2nd line but someone said something like Komarov-Ott-Clarkson. That would be fun to watch.

Agreed, that would be an effective but expensive 3rd ine.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Agreed, that would be an effective but expensive 3rd ine.

I remember back in the late 70's early 80's I wanted to see a line of Dale Hunter, Wendell Clark and Bob Probert. I don't care if they would have been out of position. That would have been fun to watch and teams would have hated us.

What made us somewhat successful two years ago was that we could have guys to muck it up and Orr and MacLaren to clean up the garbage. We need to get back to that kind of game. The team was successful at it and fans loved it.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I remember back in the late 70's early 80's I wanted to see a line of Dale Hunter, Wendell Clark and Bob Probert. I don't care if they would have been out of position. That would have been fun to watch and teams would have hated us.

What made us somewhat successful two years ago was that we could have guys to muck it up and Orr and MacLaren to clean up the garbage. We need to get back to that kind of game. The team was successful at it and fans loved it.

Good Lord that would have been a monster line. Other teams would have developed the flu on a shift by shift basis.

I don't think we necessarily need Orr, but the team has to play the same way. Hit, hit hit. Maybe Devane, Ashton or Biggs on the 4th would be a little more mobile but give close to the toughness to back up that style of play.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Shanny brought in to start this culture change and the plan is to go back two years where they competed more

again
lame duck coach, with a lame duck GM, reporting to a guy with no management experience, reporting to a guy with admittedly little hockey knowledge

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Shanny brought in to start this culture change and the plan is to go back two years where they competed more

Nonis said this after signing Clarkson/Bozak last season:

“Last year I think we did a good job of having players play outside of their comfort zone and having certain guys do things that didn’t come natural to them . . . It’s easier to do that when you have players that relish those roles and that style of play, so I think it’s more of the group that we were looking for.â€

so much for that i guess.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Nonis said this after signing Clarkson/Bozak last season:

“Last year I think we did a good job of having players play outside of their comfort zone and having certain guys do things that didn’t come natural to them . . . It’s easier to do that when you have players that relish those roles and that style of play, so I think it’s more of the group that we were looking for.â€

so much for that i guess.

so guys that aren't comfortable competing :)
nice

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

again
lame duck coach, with a lame duck GM, reporting to a guy with no management experience, reporting to a guy with admittedly little hockey knowledge

They did compete more two years ago.

Everyone on this board was raving about the identity of our club that season in terms of being one of the most physical and most difficult clubs to play against in the NHL. Komarov and Frattin were sorely missed in that regard last season, and based on the numbers that were thrown around in free agency yesterday, reacquiring them for a combined cap hit of 3.75 million were astute, cost effective moves that should strengthen our bottom six.

Furthermore, the additions of Polak and Robidas in place of Gunnarsson will add much needed sandpaper to the blueline.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the current management regime, but to suggest that Shanahan has little hockey knowledge is unsubstantiated. He lacks experience as a NHL executive, but he is definitely cognizant of the collective skill set and intangibles that are required to assemble a competitive team.

Last edited:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
TSN article on Nonis interview begins:

"Dave Nonis told TSN Radio 1050 that he's looking to get the Leafs back to where they were two seasons ago, [before he set out to remake that team's roster into something he and his head coach felt more confident with]"

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

"Dave Nonis told TSN Radio 1050 that he's looking to get the Leafs back to where they were two seasons ago, [before he set out to remake that team's roster into something he and his head coach felt more confident with]"

right, the team is being built in the mold of a lame duck coach and GM

Lame duck coach cause he's not allowed to even choose his assistant coaches
Lame duck GM cause Shanny was brought in to vet all his decisions

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
They did compete more two years ago.

yeah no doubt, but it was Nonis that bought out or traded or let walk a number of guys from that team that he has decided that he wants to be like again. and then he replaced those guys with players that were supposed to be more in line with what he and Randy and the AGMs were looking for. and now he says the Leafs need to get back to playing like they did before he did that.

he is literally saying that he wants this team to be more like the team he partially dismantled last summer, at great cost.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto

This is the line i would go with! But Ott has to come at a reasonable price....1-2 years and $2.5Mil or less.

We can't afford to hand out anymore 4+ year deals to players we shouldn't be keeping that long.

Nylander and any other potential Center acquisitions that this team needs to be a contender will be made WAY more difficult if we keep signing long-term deals with mediocre players.

These would be my targets:
Ott (1-2 years) - Great at faceoffs, will be a nightmare when paired with Komarov.
Legwand (1-2 years) - If not Ott, then Legwand.
Brodeur (1-2 years) - Stellar backup and mentor for Bernier

Plus, we can trade Franson for late 1st or early 2nd Rounder in 2015 and Reimer for a depth player or prospect and the team won't be so bad!

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
yeah no doubt, but it was Nonis that bought out or traded or let walk a number of guys from that team that he has decided that he wants to be like again. and then he replaced those guys with players that were supposed to be more in line with what he and Randy and the AGMs were looking for. and now he says the Leafs need to get back to playing like they did before he did that.

he is literally saying that he wants this team to be more like the team he partially dismantled last summer, at great cost.

I think the language Nonis used maybe poor, but to me it doesn't sound like he wants to bring back all those players but rather resurrect the "compete level" in the team that they saw two years ago.

To me this is the mental side of the game, the locker-room leadership, coaching mentality, etc. Not necessarily the specific individuals that may have played here two years ago.

Part of me wants to see a drastic improvement, the other part wants nothing to do with Randy Carlyle so i am torn :help:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

If you're referring to Komarov and Frattin particular, one opted for more money in the KHL, and the other was the key part of a deal to acquire our starting goaltender for the foreseeable future.

The opportunity presented itself to reacquire them at a negligible cost in terms of assets and he jumped on it. It's certainly not the first time a GM has acquired a former player that moved on under his watch.

Last edited:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
If you're referring to Komarov and Frattin particular, one opted for more money in the KHL, and the other was the key part of a deal to acquire our starting goaltender for the foreseeable future.

The opportunity presented itself to reacquire them at a negligible cost in terms of assets and he jumped on it. It's certainly not the first time a GM has acquired a former player that moved on under his watch.

Mac, Grabo - whatever else you want to say about Grabo especially, the guy competed hard here. and Nonis paid him to play somewhere else. and now he wants the team to play more like guys like Grabo played.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

That's actually extremely pathetic. There are no re-do's Dave.

Besides, that wasn't even a particularly good team. We had .924 goaltending and a great team SH%.

Mac, Grabo - whatever else you want to say about Grabo especially, the guy competed hard here. and Nonis paid him to play somewhere else. and now he wants the team to play more like guys like Grabo played.

My head's spinning from all these circles we're going in. He sounds desperate.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I have lost complete faith in Nonis. No clue what he is doing right now.

This.

Is he really still clinging to our "successful" shortened season?

48 games in the season = Leafs didn't have enough time to **** the bed. And besides, we redeemed ourselves by blowing a massive lead to Boston in game 7. The shortened season was a lot like the narrative of this year, out-shot and out-possessed almost every game while getting bailed out by goaltending (Reimer was really good in the shortened season, not many people acknowledge that.) Huge years from Kessel, Kadri, Phaneuf and Reimer is what got us into the playoffs.

If it was an 82-game season, I guarantee the Leafs would have missed playoffs. They were already starting to fizzle out near the end of the shortened season, you gave them the full year, they would have blew it. And "taking the Bruins to 7 games" is such a horrible cop-out. Reimer allowed 2 goals combined in elimination games 5 and 6 and he absolutely stonewalled them while we were completely under siege. Had it not been for Reimer's epic performance it would have been done in 5 games.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I think Nonis is saying all the wrong things, but i'm actually decently happy with the moves we've made this offseason (or lack of moves I guess).

Pretty content to play the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad