Dave Nonis To Address Media RE: Today's Free Agency/Trade Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
The deal of Gunnarson, a 4th rd pick (who just turned out to be CSB's #1 rated European Goalie this draft Ville Husso, and 200K x 2 years of retained salary for Roman Polak speaks volumes of how Nonis is doing as a GM this summer.

Brutal. Or very generous if you are opposing GM's.
**** how did that guy slip 4 rounds?!?!?!?!?!?!1

Finnleaf81

Mar 30, 2013
Finland

He was overaged (was eligible for 2013 draft) and did have some difficulties in WJC. Still, he was one of the best goalies playing in Finnish Liiga, against men at 18 years old. GAA 1.99 and SV% .923. I was very surprised he wasn't picked earlier.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Makes you wonder how this club is being run with Nonis/Poulin/Loiselle, no doubt about it, St Louis probably had an idea Ville Husso was available, and insisted on the pick being added. And our club deemed in okay to include a pick in a deal where we were already giving up Gunnar and salary.

Goalies tend to go 2nd rd and later, he's from the Finnish League and they produce good Goalies. Regardless he was the highest rated non NA Goalie this draft. Ouch.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Makes you wonder how this club is being run with Nonis/Poulin/Loiselle, no doubt about it, St Louis probably had an idea Ville Husso was available, and insisted on the pick being added. And our club deemed in okay to include a pick in a deal where we were already giving up Gunnar and salary.

Goalies tend to go 2nd rd and later, he's from the Finnish League and they produce good Goalies. Regardless he was the highest rated non NA Goalie this draft. Ouch.

just because St Louis picked him up does not mean we would have picked him up with the Colburne pick.What you just said could have been applied to almost everyone who passed on him three times, especially if he was that high on the Central Scouting Bureau's list.

i understand that you don't like the trade, but in all honesty it's not as horrendous as you are making it out to be.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
just because St Louis picked him up does not mean we would have picked him up with the Colburne pick.What you just said could have been applied to almost everyone who passed on him three times, especially if he was that high on the Central Scouting Bureau's list.

i understand that you don't like the trade, but in all honesty it's not as horrendous as you are making it out to be.

Daisy, if you came to me and asked me for Gunnar for Polak, I would think this would be enough. If you asked me for a 4th rd pick and to take back 200K of salary, frankly I would tell you to take a hike. No one likes to be taken advantage of. If Husso becomes Rask 2.0 in a few years, no one will be laughing then.

Do You disagree that Nonis is throwing around picks like dollar bills? Keep this up, we might as well nickname him David Holes in the pockets Nonis.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Daisy, if you came to me and asked me for Gunnar for Polak, I would think this would be enough. If you asked me for a 4th rd pick and to take back 200K of salary, frankly I would tell you to take a hike. No one likes to be taken advantage of. If Husso become Rask 2.0 in a few years, no one will be laughing then.

Do You disagree that Nonis is throwing around picks like dollar bills? Keep this up, we might as well nickname him David Holes in the pockets Nonis.

Youre pounding away on keys at a fan board as opposed to working MLSE front office, theres no finite loss to any trade involving draft picks until they prove otherwise..

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Youre pounding away on keys at a fan board as opposed to working MLSE front office, theres no finite loss to any trade involving draft picks until they prove otherwise..

I never thought I would say this, but the people that say they miss Burke, count me in now.

Say what you want about him, but Burke rarely ever got fleeced in trades as Nonis seems to be of late.

Terrible asset management for not getting anything for Bolland, Kule, Liles, Gleason, Grabovksi before he signed that awful contract. Macarthur. His trading of 2nd to 7th rd picks is becoming legendary.

The guy throws in a 4th rd pick and takes back salary for giving up a better defenceman. I don't know where this team is headed with Nonis right now.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Daisy, if you came to me and asked me for Gunnar for Polak, I would think this would be enough. If you asked me for a 4th rd pick and to take back 200K of salary, frankly I would tell you to take a hike. No one likes to be taken advantage of. If Husso becomes Rask 2.0 in a few years, no one will be laughing then.

I get what you are saying, namely that you didn't feel it was necessary to add a 4th round pick, but it also sounds like you believe if Husso becomes something, it is further saying that Nonis missed out on drafting him, yet 29 other GM's, including St. Louis, didn't draft the guy until the 4th round.

29 other GM's passed on him, and St. Louis passed on him 3 times before selecting him.

Kind of hard to pin anything on Nonis if he turns into something, don't you think?

For what it's worth, I agree with you, I felt that Polak for Gunnarson should have been a straight up deal. I didn't understand why we were retaining $200k AND adding a 4th. If anything, if we retained $200k, St. Louis should have been flipping us a 4th.

Hopefully Polak will be what we need him to be, a defensively sound, gritty, right handed shot who will keep other player's honest around our goalie. Who knows, maybe watching Polak battle will remind Phaneuf that he has a pair as well, and he'll remember how to use them (playing hockey of course, pretty sure he has no problems using them at home :naughty:)

BB

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I get what you are saying, namely that you didn't feel it was necessary to add a 4th round pick, but it also sounds like you believe if Husso becomes something, it is further saying that Nonis missed out on drafting him, yet 29 other GM's, including St. Louis, didn't draft the guy until the 4th round.

29 other GM's passed on him, and St. Louis passed on him 3 times before selecting him.

Kind of hard to pin anything on Nonis if he turns into something, don't you think?

For what it's worth, I agree with you, I felt that Polak for Gunnarson should have been a straight up deal. I didn't understand why we were retaining $200k AND adding a 4th. If anything, if we retained $200k, St. Louis should have been flipping us a 4th.

Hopefully Polak will be what we need him to be, a defensively sound, gritty, right handed shot who will keep other player's honest around our goalie. Who knows, maybe watching Polak battle will remind Phaneuf that he has a pair as well, and he'll remember how to use them (playing hockey of course, pretty sure he has no problems using them at home :naughty:)

BB

I hear you there, Gunnar for Polak was enough. No need to add anything to the deal.

Also Trading D'amigo a guy we painstakingly developed into a projected valuable 3rd/4th line player that can kill PIMS that is on the cusp of being that player, for a guy we gave up the year before who has failed to catch on, was another peculiar move.

Nonis is clearly confused what direction this team is going this year. Developing players trading them for players we traded after developing and requiring them is a circular move at best.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I never thought I would say this, but the people that say they miss Burke, count me in now.

Say what you want about him, but Burke rarely ever got fleeced in trades as Nonis seems to be of late.

Terrible asset management for not getting anything for Bolland, Kule, Liles, Gleason, Grabovksi before he signed that awful contract. Macarthur. His trading of 2nd to 7th rd picks is becoming legendary.

The guy throws in a 4th rd pick and takes back salary for giving up a better defenceman. I don't know where this team is headed with Nonis right now.

you miss Burke - the guy who set us back at least 1/2 a decade if not more, because he doesn't get fleeced on trades?

I am totally not going to get started here on my Upper Limit Burke Hate Rampage here but that is just... wrong.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Burke got robbed blind in his single most important trade while he was here, and consequently, his whole tenure is judged because of the Kessel deal.

He set this organization back 10 years when he made that trade. His arrogant, pompous ego wouldn't allow him to rebuild properly when it was clear as day that a rebuild was exactly what this team needed.

Nonis hasn't been great in his trades, but he's already fixed the most important hole in this team by getting a promising netminder with elite upside. Something Burke wasn't capable of doing.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Burke got robbed blind in his single most important trade while he was here, and consequently, his whole tenure is judged because of the Kessel deal.

He set this organization back 10 years when he made that trade. His arrogant, pompous ego wouldn't allow him to rebuild properly when it was clear as day that a rebuild was exactly what this team needed.

Nonis hasn't been great in his trades, but he's already fixed the most important hole in this team by getting a promising netminder with elite upside. Something Burke wasn't capable of doing.
30 years tbh

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

:laugh: thank you.

and. also note: He said that he was offered 1st round picks for a good chunk of our players - so. it would have been better asset managment to trade them as we were free falling, and just make a better go with it. but nope. didn't.

Brian Burke was a pompous, arrogant, lying, jerk who set this franchise back, and robbed the organization of 3 quality picks due to how poor we were in the development stage.

but yeah let's miss him because he didn't get fleeced on a trade.:rant: one could say the fact that he didn't have a certain pick protected , and if it had been the trade wouldn't have gone through - being fleeced.

Leafspoison*

So Burke set us back 10, 20, 30 years did he?

Some of you people are more of a joke than Nonis is....and that is a BIG joke.

First, let me remind you that the Leafs were projected to make the playoffs that year. Had Burke was able to us the NHL crystal ball and see what would happen, he would not make that trade. We got tagged by injury and many players under performed.

Meanwhile Kessel, became a prolific scorer and is just coming into his prime.

give it a rest some of you. You don't what the hell you are talking about

LMAO at setting this team back 10 years or more.

If Kessel and Seguin are a wash, you are talking about Hamilton and Knight.....Not a set back at all.

CmonLeafs

Oct 22, 2010
Ottawa
Burke set us back 10 years? How so?

Have you looked at the roster and farm team he inherited? His most valuable piece, by a country mile, was Luke Schenn.

How would having Seguin and Hamilton right now instead of Kessel make us some great team magically? I would say considering how poorly we did those 2 years, the fact that that trade could still be debated as a positive deal speaks to the fact that the trade was worth the risk.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah, this thread is going no where ... No point in rehashing what Burke did, and the Kessel-Seguin fiasco

If you want to discuss the Gunnarson/Polak trade there's already a thread open.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad