Dave Hodge returns to HNIC for the first time since he was fired in 1987

danderson400

May 21, 2015
What got Hodge in trouble was the continuing battle between the news and sports divisions at CBC. News wanted Ontario to go to the national news - viewers in Ottawa to Newfoundland were seeing Montreal anyways.

In 1979 CBC had a problem when a Boston/Montreal playoff game went to OT and news demanded they be given the network because of a British election that same evening. Ralph Mellanby who ran HNIC then was going to quit if they were not going to show the OT live. I know this because I was in the WSBK-TV truck at Boston Garden that was handling the production for CBC, SRC and the Boston feed ( which was being sent to several US cities) The old Garden in those days could only handle one truck. CBC News felt that anyone who wanted to see the OT live could watch in French.

But I also suspect Hodge blew up knowing that CBC was grooming MacLean to replace him. HNIC in Canada ownership was muddled back then and I believe Molson was calling the shots in 1987.

I didn't know that! So *only* Ontario went to The National, if your'e right- viewers in Ottawa to Newfoundland were seeing Montreal anyways.
Bob Cole was there that night too...so Dick Irvin and Scotty Bowman were doing the national game. I remember watching the Habs-Flyers game in it's entirety, so didn't get the fuss about till the next day(i believe it was the raw feed from the Forum on the CBC transponder.)

danderson400

May 21, 2015
What got Hodge in trouble was the continuing battle between the news and sports divisions at CBC. News wanted Ontario to go to the national news - viewers in Ottawa to Newfoundland were seeing Montreal anyways.

In 1979 CBC had a problem when a Boston/Montreal playoff game went to OT and news demanded they be given the network because of a British election that same evening. Ralph Mellanby who ran HNIC then was going to quit if they were not going to show the OT live. I know this because I was in the WSBK-TV truck at Boston Garden that was handling the production for CBC, SRC and the Boston feed ( which was being sent to several US cities) The old Garden in those days could only handle one truck. CBC News felt that anyone who wanted to see the OT live could watch in French.

But I also suspect Hodge blew up knowing that CBC was grooming MacLean to replace him. HNIC in Canada ownership was muddled back then and I believe Molson was calling the shots in 1987.

How do you actually know that only Ontario went to the national news- viewers in Ottawa to Newfoundland were seeing Montreal anyway?

danderson400

May 21, 2015

I wonder how many booths could be set up at the old Garden. In 1986, for Habs-Bruins G3, you had Jim Kelly (not QB- but the senior golf announcer) and Bill Clement working that game for ESPN, while Dick Irvin and Harry Neale were there for CBC, and Richard Garneau was there for Radio Canada. I wondering if Dick and Harry got the better booth position, or Richard Garneau or the ESPN crew?

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I didn't know that! So *only* Ontario went to The National, if your'e right- viewers in Ottawa to Newfoundland were seeing Montreal anyways.
Bob Cole was there that night too...so Dick Irvin and Scotty Bowman were doing the national game. I remember watching the Habs-Flyers game in it's entirety, so didn't get the fuss about till the next day(i believe it was the raw feed from the Forum on the CBC transponder.)
Manitoba went to the National as well

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No station does hockey like CBC, but the jackasses who have been running that show for decades, have been idiots with their hiring and firing of some on air personalities. Hodge was, and is great. He should never have been let go. Others, I won’t mention their names, should never have been hired. CBC management higher ups have too many clowns.

danderson400

May 21, 2015

Hodge did the right thing, he called out the network for leaving the Flyers-Canadiens broadcast for the news- and he was right. Hodge says that "Bob Cole and I and perhaps some others were in the studio just before six PM eastern time watching the Briar. Newfoundland was playing, so Bob was terribly eager to follow the progress of every rock. As six o’clock came the CBC cut away for news. Bob was furious. I shook my head and said, “This is no way to run a network,” and thought no more about it at the time. Until we hit the evening of hockey." "The Leafs game ended. We threw over to the end of a Philly-Montreal game which Montreal was leading three to two until Scott Mellanby tied it up and it went to overtime and again the CBC cut away from the game, or made plans to go to other programming(news). I got the message in my ear to explain that we had no more time to cover this game(even though they *could* have delayed The National). I remember pleading with the producer in the truck to sign off with a wide shot and I would be prepared to deliver verbally that message – but I did not want to have to come on camera and explain this policy. Clearly, I didn’t agree with it. Hadn’t agreed with it earlier in the day. More so, wasn’t in line with it when it was involving me directly. They said, “No. Sorry. The way to do this is to come on camera and apologize to the viewers.” I probably had five or ten seconds between actually been told that and being on the air. So, I didn’t have a chance to really compose myself." It wasn't just Hodge that was mad. Don Wittman who was covering the curling match that was cut off to join the NDP leadership convention in progress, and he was mad too about it, and he said words that are unprintable too. What CBC did that day and night was wrong, and they knew it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad