Dave Hodge returns to HNIC for the first time since he was fired in 1987

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I never thought I would see the day that Dave Hodge would be on the set of HNIC again. I know it is different management now but he went out in style.

Dave from all accounts was fired instantly by the CBC and it took a week and a half to do the paperwork. Ron MacLean would take his place.

This was his swan song

In 1989 he gave his version of what happened.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I remember watching that live. He was very respected. We were on his side.

I watched him a lot on TSN. His career actually benefited from getting out of the chair that goofball Ron Maclean took over.

Reactions: Killion and Fenway

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
I was just the right age (grade school! junior high!) and persuasion (all sports! all the time!) for Hodge to be my Cronkite: you got your two televised Leafs games per week, sure, but everything revolved around HNIC and Saturday night.

And before stagey personalities overtook actual broadcasting acumen, he was the gatekeeper of an all-business, authoritative program. That level gaze, even voice and helmet hair bespoke calm and control: as VanIslander says upthread, Hodge ruled that portal, and when it all came crashing down during the Habs-Flyers game, the fallout was stunning. I remember that broadcast, the Monday morning Toronto Star and Globe And Mail columns, MacLean almost apologetically taking the desk next weekend, and later on, Dave popping up on the downmarket midweek Leafs games on Global. I’ve always felt sorry for him, even as he forged ahead finding decent work.

Tonight, as his voice thickened a couple times with MacLean, you realized that the brand, the jacket, the forum still mattered to him. So that felt wonderful to me, then, too.

I watched Dick Irvin with a silly grin on my face when he stopped by last winter, but that’s different. Just an old master popping by for a little visit. This meant more. I hope Hodge appears again and again. But for the time being, we have those few seconds at the end of tonight’s piece: when Ron, a wise old owl when he wants to be, gave Dave the chance to throw to the ad break. I think I rewound that part three times. And I never watched a second of the actual game. Fancy that.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I like Hodge a lot. One of the broadcasting greats. Does it straight, does it right.

Don Whitman was sort-of the play-by-play equivalent of Hodge -- no need for forced dramatics or hyperbole, just tell it accurately and clearly, with good diction and grammar.

Sadly, we've now de-evolved into Paul Romanuk.

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
I hope that Dave can float in from time to time now. There's now no reason to keep him out of the HNIC mythos anymore. He's paid his sin, he's done his time, and it's time for him to truly be welcomed home, to give him his proper closure on that part of his life.

Saturday, November 24, 2018...the day that the CBC finally forgave Dave.

=)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
When it first happened I don't know if this was the norm to think this, but I sort of thought Hodge was a clown for doing that. You've got the best job in the country and you blow it. Then again, time passed and I realized more and more just how frustrating it would be to work with CBC doing sports. I can only imagine the things said behind the scenes. So I commend Hodge for that, he told the truth and in a way this was CBC's version of the Heidi Bowl (Google it if you've never heard of it before)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When it first happened I don't know if this was the norm to think this, but I sort of thought Hodge was a clown for doing that. You've got the best job in the country and you blow it. Then again, time passed and I realized more and more just how frustrating it would be to work with CBC doing sports. I can only imagine the things said behind the scenes. So I commend Hodge for that, he told the truth and in a way this was CBC's version of the Heidi Bowl (Google it if you've never heard of it before)

What got Hodge in trouble was the continuing battle between the news and sports divisions at CBC. News wanted Ontario to go to the national news - viewers in Ottawa to Newfoundland were seeing Montreal anyways.

In 1979 CBC had a problem when a Boston/Montreal playoff game went to OT and news demanded they be given the network because of a British election that same evening. Ralph Mellanby who ran HNIC then was going to quit if they were not going to show the OT live. I know this because I was in the WSBK-TV truck at Boston Garden that was handling the production for CBC, SRC and the Boston feed ( which was being sent to several US cities) The old Garden in those days could only handle one truck. CBC News felt that anyone who wanted to see the OT live could watch in French.

But I also suspect Hodge blew up knowing that CBC was grooming MacLean to replace him. HNIC in Canada ownership was muddled back then and I believe Molson was calling the shots in 1987.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I was just the right age (grade school! junior high!) and persuasion (all sports! all the time!) for Hodge to be my Cronkite: you got your two televised Leafs games per week, sure, but everything revolved around HNIC and Saturday night.

And before stagey personalities overtook actual broadcasting acumen, he was the gatekeeper of an all-business, authoritative program. That level gaze, even voice and helmet hair bespoke calm and control: as VanIslander says upthread, Hodge ruled that portal, and when it all came crashing down during the Habs-Flyers game, the fallout was stunning. I remember that broadcast, the Monday morning Toronto Star and Globe And Mail columns, MacLean almost apologetically taking the desk next weekend, and later on, Dave popping up on the downmarket midweek Leafs games on Global. I’ve always felt sorry for him, even as he forged ahead finding decent work.

Tonight, as his voice thickened a couple times with MacLean, you realized that the brand, the jacket, the forum still mattered to him. So that felt wonderful to me, then, too.

I watched Dick Irvin with a silly grin on my face when he stopped by last winter, but that’s different. Just an old master popping by for a little visit. This meant more. I hope Hodge appears again and again. But for the time being, we have those few seconds at the end of tonight’s piece: when Ron, a wise old owl when he wants to be, gave Dave the chance to throw to the ad break. I think I rewound that part three times. And I never watched a second of the actual game. Fancy that.

Well said. Perfectly captured the mood of times past, present. I never really warmed to Ron McLean, the ever coy & sickly sweet puns. Looked upon him as 'B Market" Brat in over his head however, changed my mind years later after reading his biography. Appreciated him for the person he is but still.... I'd have much preferred to have tuned in & seen Dave Hodge hosting HNIC. Really missed his class, intelligence, steady & thoughtful delivery and yes like you & many others did feel sorry for him, still do. What happened back there, that was an injustice. Robbed not just Dave but generations of fans. HNIC has never been the same since. Dumbed down considerably.

Reactions: Tarantula

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Dave Hodge, Howie Meeker, Brian McFarlane, Dick Beddoes, Danny Gallivan, Foster Hewitt, Bill Hewitt, Dick Irvine Jr, Ward Cornell, Ted Darling....

Show Hosts, play by play, color commentary, segments, the names I remember as a kid.

Saturdays, and until 75, Wednesdays, HNIC was must see television.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
knowing hodge as the affable guy on tsn’s that’s hockey, i have to say i’m surprised (in a good way) how much of a badass he was in that 1989 interview.

only makes me dislike the weasely ron maclean more.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Interesting how Hodge mentioned that taking them to commercial was an "audition of sorts". Wonder if they have plans to have him back on the show in some capacity. I think that would be a great way to partially right that historic wrong.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I never thought I would see the day that Dave Hodge would be on the set of HNIC again. I know it is different management now but he went out in style.

Dave from all accounts was fired instantly by the CBC and it took a week and a half to do the paperwork. Ron MacLean would take his place.

This was his swan song

In 1989 he gave his version of what happened.

the pen flip is what did him in

we agreed with him--CBC had a contract with Tommy Hunter and at the time Hunter was music royalty on CBC and it was in his contract when the his show had to start

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Interesting how Hodge mentioned that taking them to commercial was an "audition of sorts". Wonder if they have plans to have him back on the show in some capacity. I think that would be a great way to partially right that historic wrong.

Ron seems to want him back - I would love to see Dave do a Coach's Corner again

Reactions: Michael Farkas

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
What happened (if it has ever been revealed) to the execs that made the decision to cut away from an exciting OT game between two marquee franchises? I mean what exactly was going on news wise that day where it was so pressing, so important, that you couldn't air OT of a game?

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What happened (if it has ever been revealed) to the execs that made the decision to cut away from an exciting OT game between two marquee franchises? I mean what exactly was going on news wise that day where it was so pressing, so important, that you couldn't air OT of a game?

Commies. Morons. Aparatchiks. Mandarins. Thats CBC. Soviets. Saavy?

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
What got Hodge in trouble was the continuing battle between the news and sports divisions at CBC. News wanted Ontario to go to the national news - viewers in Ottawa to Newfoundland were seeing Montreal anyways.
Actually it was the Men's Free Skate at the World Figure Skating Championships. On tape delay.

danderson400

May 21, 2015

In 1979 CBC had a problem when a Boston/Montreal playoff game went to OT and news demanded they be given the network because of a British election that same evening. Ralph Mellanby who ran HNIC then was going to quit if they were not going to show the OT live. I know this because I was in the WSBK-TV truck at Boston Garden that was handling the production for CBC, SRC and the Boston feed ( which was being sent to several US cities) The old Garden in those days could only handle one truck. CBC News felt that anyone who wanted to see the OT live could watch in French.

But I also suspect Hodge blew up knowing that CBC was grooming MacLean to replace him. HNIC in Canada ownership was muddled back then and I believe Molson was calling the shots in 1987.

Wow, never heard about that.

This also became a big problem for ESPN-since they would want doubleheaders, but CBC wanted to air the News, so, we'd get 2 games at the same time. When TSN came in, this became less of a issue. Nowdays, NBCSN gets want they want, and CBC focuses on the 1 game that night.

danderson400

May 21, 2015
Those were the days when Dave Hodge hosted the Toronto game, while Brian McFarlane hosted the Montreal games.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hodge originally was with Cherry on Coach's Corner. For 6-7 years that was the norm. It is so strange to see that now because for 30 years it has been MacLean.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Dave Hodge, Howie Meeker, Brian McFarlane, Dick Beddoes, Danny Gallivan, Foster Hewitt, Bill Hewitt, Dick Irvine Jr, Ward Cornell, Ted Darling....

Show Hosts, play by play, color commentary, segments, the names I remember as a kid.

Saturdays, and until 75, Wednesdays, HNIC was must see television.

I remember on school nights,i could watch 1 hour of hockey,then off to bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad