Dave Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Is it wrong, then, to let forwards & defensemen play 82 games? To play back to back? Should they call up the Phantoms for back to back games?

Your MLB pitcher analogy to NHL goaltendending is ridiculous. Don’t you think maybe NHL defenseman is a little more analogous than a position revolving around throwing a ball 100 times? Or even MLB catcher, where they frequently play 4-5 times per week?

I already covered that. Goalies use a range of motion that strains their body more than dmen and forwards. There is more risk for various injuries, and an injured goalie stands to be much more of a detriment than a skater.

You have never answered this question: Why do you think no other NHL coach handles his goalies like Hakstol does? Why doesn't anybody else drive mediocre goalies like they're stars?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How many times do you need me to tell you I don’t think Simmonds (who blew it) should’ve been on the ice in the last 2 minutes? I’ve said it at least 3 times. Is 4 enough?

How many times do you plan on answering a question I didn't even ask? Don't worry, your acknowledgment of Simmonds being a mistake has been noted.

I'm talking about the rest of them.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I already covered that. Goalies use a range of motion that strains their body more than dmen and forwards. There is more risk for various injuries, and an injured goalie stands to be much more of a detriment than a skater.

You have never answered this question: Why do you think no other NHL coach handles his goalies like Hakstol does? Why doesn't anybody else drive mediocre goalies like they're stars?

No other NHL coach handles his goalies like Hakstol does?

More hyperbole.

12 goalies played 60+ games this season.

5 were 65+.

Injuries also forced Hakstol’s hand. There were plenty of times he only had one NHL goalie available to play.

Brodeur played 70+ games 12 times, including 10 straight seasons. He played 77 games 3 times & 78 games once.

His being a better player than Elliott is irrelevant to durability. By your logic, Brodeur shouldn’t physically have been able to come close to playing that many games.

But whatever. We’re going in circles. What it boils down to is that saying Hakstol was the reason for Mason’s injury is nothing but speculation.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No other NHL coach handles his goalies like Hakstol does?

More hyperbole.

12 goalies played 60+ games this season.

5 were 65+.

Injuries also forced Hakstol’s hand. There were plenty of times he only had one NHL goalie available to play.

Brodeur played 70+ games 12 times, including 10 straight seasons. He played 77 games 3 times & 78 games once.

His being a better player than Elliott is irrelevant to durability. By your logic, Brodeur shouldn’t physically have been able to come close to playing that many games.

But whatever. We’re going in circles. What it boils down to is that saying Hakstol was the reason for Mason’s injury is nothing but speculation.

We've been over that too. Recall that I've emphasized I'm talking about goalies comparable to ours. It makes sense to work with comparable situations, don't you think? Rather than pretending we have goalies who can be compared to someone like Lundqvist or Bernie Parent.

Those goalies you listed are not Elliott or Neuvirth, nor are they like them. Those goalies have proven they can handle that starter workload in ways Elliott and Neuvy never, ever have; hence why they are a platoon. See, individuals have different traits and skills and talents. Someone like Brodeur had the talent and build to allow them to be a workhouse at a high level without getting hurt. You know who isn't on Brodeur's level in either way? Our goalies. And that reality is apparent to everyone but Hakstol and his defenders.

We are going in circles now, and your arguments are weak. No other competent coach with goalies like Elliott and Neuvirth uses them like Hakstol does. There is reason for that.

Have fun spending your time resisting all criticism of Hakstol while pretending you aren't a partisan for him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem is the criticism of Hakstol is so over the top it's ridiculous.
This was a mediocre team talentwise that managed 98 points, all the attempts to rationalize it as anything more fall short.

Ghost and Provorov are the only quality defensemen, four good forwards, only two of whom are considered top players outside of this board (Giroux and Couts), and both had career years b/c the HC put them on the same line.

Simmons is a mediocre 3LW, Patrick a mediocre 3C (hobbled half the year), Raffl a 4th liner on most teams, same with Laughton, those are your 5th to 8th best forwards last year, then you have Filppula et al.
Five 3rd pair defensemen.
Two backup goalies.

Solid playoff teams have two solid lines and 4 solid defensemen, we didn't come close to that last year, and almost every playoff team had a goalie who was above average.

So Hakstol may not be a great HC, but he wasn't carried by his "talent" because he didn't have that kind of talent.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
This was a mediocre team talentwise that managed 98 points, all the attempts to rationalize it as anything more fall short.

Ghost and Provorov are the only quality defensemen, four good forwards, only two of whom are considered top players outside of this board (Giroux and Couts), and both had career years b/c the HC put them on the same line.

Simmons is a mediocre 3LW, Patrick a mediocre 3C (hobbled half the year), Raffl a 4th liner on most teams, same with Laughton, those are your 5th to 8th best forwards last year, then you have Filppula et al.
Two backup goalies.

Solid playoff teams have two solid lines and 4 solid defensemen, we didn't come close to that last year, and almost every playoff team had a goalie who was above average.

So Hakstol may not be a great HC, but he wasn't carried by his "talent" because he didn't have that kind of talent.
Bingo. Can we all go for summer vacation LOL.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
bump
Weird that the Flyers problem was a "lack of talent" when their top scorers outperformed the cup champs top scorers. Guess Hakstol can't blame the amount of talent he was given after all.

Giroux - 102Ovi - 87
Voracek - 85Kuznetsov - 83
Couturier - 76Backstrom - 71
Konecny - 47 (despite being horribly underused)Oshie - 47
Simmonds - 41Eller - 38
Filppula (would easily be Patrick if used properly) - 33Wilson - 35
Ghost - 65Carlson - 68
Provorov - 41Orlov - 31
Total for Flyers top 6 scoring forwards - 384Total for Capitals top 6 scoring forwards - 361
Total for Flyers top 2 scoring defensemen - 106Total for Capitals top 2 scoring defensemen - 99
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And overall, the Caps scored a grand total of 7 more goals last year (thanks to not having a Hakstol-like figure forcing horrible players in huge roles). The Flyers would have easily outscored them for the year if Hakstol doesn't make a few indefensible mistakes.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
We've been over that too. Recall that I've emphasized I'm talking about goalies comparable to ours. It makes sense to work with comparable situations, don't you think? Rather than pretending we have goalies who can be compared to someone like Lundqvist or Bernie Parent.

Those goalies you listed are not Elliott or Neuvirth, nor are they like them. Those goalies have proven they can handle that starter workload in ways Elliott and Neuvy never, ever have; hence why they are a platoon. See, individuals have different traits and skills and talents. Someone like Brodeur had the talent and build to allow them to be a workhouse at a high level without getting hurt. You know who isn't on Brodeur's level in either way? Our goalies. And that reality is apparent to everyone but Hakstol and his defenders.

We are going in circles now, and your arguments are weak. No other competent coach with goalies like Elliott and Neuvirth uses them like Hakstol does. There is reason for that.

Have fun spending your time resisting all criticism of Hakstol while pretending you aren't a partisan for him.

Your argument seems to be that the physical effort required of the goaltending position makes playing in 20 games in a row an extremely difficult effort & one likely to cause injury.

But you dismiss examples of goalies who play a lot, saying things like they have the build & talent to do it, but Elliott & Neuvirth don’t. First, I don’t understand why skill level has any relation to durability. Second, as for build, I’ve seen plenty of guys Brodeur’s size & bigger be injury prone, & smaller guys be durable, so you’re just talking out of your ass.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Barzal 85 points
JT 84 points
Bailey 71 points
Lee 62 points
Eberle 59 points
Beauvillier 36 points
Nelson 35 points
Ladd 29 points

Leddy 42 points
Pulock 32 points
Hickey 25 points

Halak and Greiss are as talented as Elliott and Neuvirth.

If scoring made you a great player, the Islanders would have been a top team last year.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Didn't Keenan start fuhr inevery single game of the season? Wonder how those playoff games went.
Fuhr started 79 games that season, including the first 76 straight.

Got hurt in the playoffs when someone fell on his knee. Had nothing to do with overuse.

He’s 5’11” 184.

The assumption that starting 23 games in a row caused Elliott’s injury is based on zero evidence. I think it’s certainly more likely he got hurt making a save, like plenty of goalies do, & it would have happened regardless of workload.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as the Caps, Ovechkin had 49 goals (which trumps points, I'm starting to look at P1, b/c scorers are too generous with secondary assists, padding stats).

Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Oshie, Eller, Wilson was a deeper top six than we were fielding last year.
Playoffs:
Ovechkin 24g 15-12 27 - career 121g 61-56 117
Kuznetsov 24g 12-20 32 - career 63g 23-28 51
Backstrom 20g 5-18 23 - career 116g 31-7 98
Oshie 24g 8-13 21 - career 79g 23-29 52
Eller 24g 7-11 18 - career 74g 13-28 41
Wilson 21g 5-10 15 - career 62g 8-12 20

Flyer Career PO numbers
Giroux 69g 24-41 65
Voracek 34g 5-14 19
Simmonds 42g 8-13 21
Couts 24g 8-5 13
Read 30g 5-5 10

Filpulla 158g 25-57 82
Lehtera 39g 4-13 17

Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen a better trio than we could field (Orpik could switch out with Hagg!)

Holtby had an off year, but regular season combined .913 S% versus our .907%5
Hotbly then returned to form in the playoffs with a .922 S%
Gee, I wonder if we'd have looked better with Holtby rather than Elliott/Neuvirth (.852%) in the playoffs?

Washington was a far more talented team, hands down, so was Pittsburgh.
For us to match them, Patrick has to take a big step up, we need to find a decent 3C, Sanheim has to become a top 4 defenseman, and we need to upgrade our goalies.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

Two backup goalies.

Simply put this is why people get frustrated. It’s simmonds and he is a rw. And he had a bad year but is a pretty good right wing for the third line I makes everything else not worth reading because you can’t get simple things right how could you grasp complex things

Reactions: Striiker

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Your argument seems to be that the physical effort required of the goaltending position makes playing in 20 games in a row an extremely difficult effort & one likely to cause injury.

But you dismiss examples of goalies who play a lot, saying things like they have the build & talent to do it, but Elliott & Neuvirth don’t. First, I don’t understand why skill level has any relation to durability. Second, as for build, I’ve seen plenty of guys Brodeur’s size & bigger be injury prone, & smaller guys be durable, so you’re just talking out of your ass.
NO HIS ARGUEMENT IS IT IS MORE LIKELY TO INJURE OUR GOALIES NOT ELITE STARTERS. OUR GROUP CANT HANDLE AND NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO IN THEIR FING CAREERS

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Simply put this is why people get frustrated. It’s simmonds and he is a rw. And he had a bad year but is a pretty good right wing for the third line I makes everything else not worth reading because you can’t get simple things right how could you grasp complex things

Simmonds hasn't been a pretty good right wing for three years.
If you can't get simple things right why should I take you seriously?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Why are you refusing to understand that some goalies are capable of playing a lot, and that OUR goalies are not those goalies? That's the entire problem with Hakstol's goalie usage.

Why skill is important: If your skill level is low, like if you aren't keeping your angles well, then you will be pushing harder to get back in position to make saves. There is more reliance on athleticism. That leads to injuries. Both our goalies happen to struggle with their angles, btw.

It's really telling that my argument has remained the same the entire time, and you've been all over the place.

Simmonds hasn't been a pretty good right wing for three years.
If you can't get simple things right why should I take you seriously?

You are talking about 30 goals and 60 points in 2 of those three years, and about a period where until last season he had steadily increased in usefulness all-around. Are you sure you're reading the stats columns right? Are you sure you're even on the right player?

NO HIS ARGUEMENT IS IT IS MORE LIKELY TO INJURE OUR GOALIES NOT ELITE STARTERS. OUR GROUP CANT HANDLE AND NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO IN THEIR FING CAREERS

Yeah, it's this. And that is really obvious. That Hakstol doesn't understand what his goalies are is a testament to his awful understanding of the roster and how badly he mismanages it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad