Dave Hakstol Part VI: I See A Bad Coach And I Want Him Painted Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I still have no idea what you're talking about re: Simmonds being used as a "perimeter player." If any forward at ES should benefit from Hakstol's system it should be Simmonds, whose strength is battling in front of the net, setting screens, and collecting garbage. The focus on shots from the point at ES basically gives Simmonds the same opportunity to play at ES like he plays on the PP. BTW, he's been a subpar ES player, especially defensively, under every coach he's had here. It's just not what he's good at. And of course, now that he's older, he's even worse. Basically a black hole offensively if it isn't in front of the net.

One of the huge flaws with Hakstol's system is that it lacks net pressure, hence why all our shots come from the outside. Wingers stay to the perimeter to keep the cycle back to the point going if they get the puck again after a failed attempt. Simmonds is constantly along the boards instead of at the net. Last game when the team was allowed/chose to set up in the slot Simmonds was instantly dangerous again.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
One of the huge flaws with Hakstol's system is that it lacks net pressure, hence why all our shots come from the outside. Wingers stay to the perimeter to keep the cycle back to the point going if they get the puck again after a failed attempt. Simmonds is constantly along the boards instead of at the net. Last game when the team was allowed/chose to set up in the slot Simmonds was instantly dangerous again.
Huh? You really think Hakstol is coaching point shots without anyone in front of the net? I think you do a lot of confabulating. I suppose you think, then, that when someone gets in front of the net at ES he is going rogue and ignoring Hakstol's instructions? Or that Hakstol suddenly decided to bark an order to change his system?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Huh? You really think Hakstol is coaching point shots without anyone in front of the net? I think you do a lot of confabulating. I suppose you think, then, that when someone gets in front of the net at ES he is going rogue and ignoring Hakstol's instructions? Or that Hakstol suddenly decided to bark an order to change his system?

I don't think he is, I know he is. Do you watch the team? When the RW slams the puck around behind the net or corner to the center, nobody moves to the slot for chances. The center sends it back to the RW, or to the LW and from there it's off to the point for a shot, or back along the boards to the winger. At no point do forwards apply meaingful pressure. This has been going on for years no and you haven't seen it? They don't go for tips. They are rarely in position for rebounds. Screens tend to come from defenders more than forwards.

That's the way Hakstol's system works. It's actually better than it once was because a center or a winger are now allowed to move towards the slot. Not into it, just near it. They used to be stapled in place on the perimeter. Usually, still, the only time we may have a decent chance comes because a forwards goes for a long skate with the puck to try and make something happen on their own, like TK and Voracek often do.

Last edited:

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Who you think you are, Dave Hakstol? A superstar, no? But I can't get no Satisfaction with your coaching or this team......no no no.....

under my thumb.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad