Dave Hakstol Has Been Fired: Celebration Thread

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hak wasn't the terrible coach some make him out to be, he didn't play a "fun" style of hockey, because he didn't have a lot of talent to work with most of his tenure. That 2017-18 got 98 points, which is pretty good coaching given what he was given by Hextall.

G - Couts - Voracek
Lindblom (23g)/Simmonds - Filppula - TK
Raffl/Weal - Patrick - Weise
Lehtera- Laughton - Leier

Provorov - Ghost
Hagg - Manning - McDonald
Sanheim - Gudas

I mean that's a crappy team, the bottom six was subpar, Sanheim settled in on the 3rd pair with Gudas after he returned from the AHL (but they weren't ready for 2nd pair responsibilities, Gudas was never a top 4 D-man in TB, Philly, Wash or FLA), and the mix on the 2nd pair was dreadful.

And the goalies were below average 3 of his 4 seasons, so you can't even credit them for carrying the team like Mason in 2013-14 and 2015-16.

So given he couldn't trust his goalies most years, and had one scoring line and a bunch of marginal players who'd have been exposed in a wide open system, no wonder he went into a "Hak shell."

Reactions: renberg

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The guy was talking about Berube. Please no paragraphs defending Jubilee Hinkledinklestok. :damnpc:

I’m also a masochist and watched like 10 minutes of Honka’s press conference just now. He was blaming the youth for the Flyers struggles. Goatee or no goatee, guy hasn’t changed one iota. Have fun, Seattle.

that team deserves its fate..

i was all excited, but now...

seriously i could careless... #gutted

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
And it's full of crap, like most of the Ranger posts about AV.

ES time - 2017-18
Couts 16:28
G 16:05
Voracek 15:56
Simmonds 13:55
Filppula 13:38
TK 13:29
Lindblom 13:06 (as a rookie for 23 games)
Raffl 11:58
Patrick 11:52
Weal 11:25
Weise 10:10
Laughton 9:59
Lehtera 9:12
Leier 9:02
If you read the chain of replies you'll see I was actually talking about Berube not Hakstol. I didn't think my description of Berube was inaccurate.

EDIT: Someone above beat me to it. I'll see myself out. :)

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hak wasn't the terrible coach some make him out to be, he didn't play a "fun" style of hockey, because he didn't have a lot of talent to work with most of his tenure. That 2017-18 got 98 points, which is pretty good coaching given what he was given by Hextall.

G - Couts - Voracek
Lindblom (23g)/Simmonds - Filppula - TK
Raffl/Weal - Patrick - Weise
Lehtera- Laughton - Leier

Provorov - Ghost
Hagg - Manning - McDonald
Sanheim - Gudas

I mean that's a crappy team, the bottom six was subpar, Sanheim settled in on the 3rd pair with Gudas after he returned from the AHL (but they weren't ready for 2nd pair responsibilities, Gudas was never a top 4 D-man in TB, Philly, Wash or FLA), and the mix on the 2nd pair was dreadful.

And the goalies were below average 3 of his 4 seasons, so you can't even credit them for carrying the team like Mason in 2013-14 and 2015-16.

So given he couldn't trust his goalies most years, and had one scoring line and a bunch of marginal players who'd have been exposed in a wide open system, no wonder he went into a "Hak shell."

Hakstol was a terrible coach.

Do you think it's good coaching to suppress your own offense and play bad players needlessly?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hakstol was a terrible coach.

Do you think it's good coaching to suppress your own offense and play bad players needlessly?

It wasn't needlessly, look at that roster, bad players was all he had, or not ready for prime time (Sanheim had the "deer in the headlights" look a lot in his rookie season).
Lehtera or Leier, pick your poison.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We're still going with the "had no choice" arguments?

Well, if you look at the stats... no, not those stats, I'd take THOSE stats with a grain of salt because it's only 289 games and not really providing a good sample, neveemind. I wouldn't put too much stock in those.

We uhh, made the playoffs twice and got thoroughly sominated both times, though. So he must've been ok. Oh, and another team hired him, so yeah, he's definitely NHL caliber.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Iam dreaming right? Right?

NHL HOCKEY IS SO STUPID AND FORSEEABLE. OMFG HOW BORING CAN A LEAGUE BE. RECYCLING EVERY FACE OVER AND OVER AGAIN. IAM SO TIRED OF THIS SHIT.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, if you look at the stats... no, not those stats, I'd take THOSE stats with a grain of salt because it's only 289 games and not really providing a good sample, neveemind. I wouldn't put too much stock in those.

We uhh, made the playoffs twice and got thoroughly sominated both times, though. So he must've been ok. Oh, and another team hired him, so yeah, he's definitely NHL caliber.

Yeah, better teams tend to dominate worse teams. Who'd have guessed.
2015-16 Caps, 2nd in goals scored, 2nd in goals allowed, 120 points in the regular season. And Mason went belly up in the playoffs.
2017-18 Pens, 4th in goals scored, 20th in goals allowed, 100 points in the regular season. That was a more beatable team if the Flyers had a decent goalie, unfortunately Elliott and Neuvirth combined for a .852 S% in the playoffs.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
2015-16 Caps, 2nd in goals scored, 2nd in goals allowed, 120 points in the regular season. And Mason went belly up in the playoffs.
2017-18 Pens, 4th in goals scored, 20th in goals allowed, 100 points in the regular season. That was a more beatable team if the Flyers had a decent goalie, unfortunately Elliott and Neuvirth combined for a .852 S% in the playoffs.

I dont think these stats are a reliable indicator, we should throw them out.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

No goalie was going to compensate for Hakstol running a coward shell and chasing the exact matchups Sullivan had correctly identified as ideal for his team.

We saw that against the Caps when the goaltending was there and Hakstol's offensive plan was akin to always punting on first down.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
No goalie was going to compensate for Hakstol running a coward shell and chasing the exact matchups Sullivan had correctly identified as ideal for his team.

We saw that against the Caps when the goaltending was there and Hakstol's offensive plan was akin to always punting on first down.

"sure, we could have tried something. but in the end we optioned for living for the next shift"..

Hakstol...

#sigh....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

You mean after Mason melted down and Neuvirth tried to save them?
Of course, Holtby had something to say about that, .968 S%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad