News Article: Dave Feschuk: Stubborn Babcock passes on change with Leafs special teams falling short

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Change or status quo, the most important takeaway from tonight's game will be "win or lose"? I won't wonder why if the result is a win.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Huh?

If reporter's opinions don't hold any weight, then whose opinions do? Fans on the internet? Feschuk's qualifications aside, you're lumping all reporters together. How can you possibly say reporters opinions hold no weight? They vote on awards, they sway fanbases, they hold players and coaches accountable, they are in the rinks and talk to the team. Their opinion matters, even when you don't agree with it.

And your comment about not lacing them up is ignorant, too. Ken Hitchcock never played competitively. Neither did Pat Burns. Neither did John Cooper. Scotty Bowman's career ended in junior. And I'm betting you don't go out of your way to ignore info from Bob McKenzie, who also never played the game.
I hate the “never laced up” agruement. Looking back, the majority of the people I played hockey with growing up didn’t have some magical knowledge that a casual fan wouldn’t have.

My best friends dad has been around hockey his entire life. Played in the OHL, and has coached AAA for years now. He absolutely hates it when teams play 4 Forward and 1 D on the power play. Why? Because a forward isn’t used to creating offence from near the blue line. The analytics indicate that 4 F 1 D is the way to go and the fact that it’s been adopted by so many teams probably shows this to also be true. Just because my friends dad has “laced them up” doesn’t mean his opinion means anything.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks Feschuk! Don't expect the small minded folks to take it too well though.

Why, hockey people were still asking Monday, did he pull Frederik Andersen in Game 6 with the Maple Leafs down a goal but yet to establish deep offensive-zone pressure? Why does he keep rolling out Patrick Marleau despite Marleau’s invisibility? Why does he still insist on rushing his top power-play unit off the ice so the likes of Tyler Ennis and Marleau can get their turn? Why won’t he occasionally load up a line with, oh, his three top players, if only to blindside Cassidy with the element of surprise? Why does he seem to consider mind-numbing predictability a strategic virtue?
And maybe top of the list: Why does Babcock refuse to address the chronic problems on Toronto’s specialty teams?

Feschuk HFBoards lurker confirmed

I liked this one too!

So the penalty kill’s historically brutal. And sure, some of it’s come down to bad luck and bad bounces. But some of it’s been predictable, too. Zach Hyman, a heart-and-soul grinder who appears to be nursing an injury, has lost 76 per cent of the draws he’s taken on the kill, most of which have come against the great Patrice Bergeron. Hyman is 5-for-21 in the dot short-handed. While he’s been getting eviscerated, the Bruins have scored a remarkable seven power-play goals.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I just read his article and like most of his articles his facts are right. His tone is negative. He wrote one a few weeks ago saying Babs is already two thirds paid out of his contract so not much left for Leafs to pay out to get rid of him. He clearly has an agenda to get rid of Babs. But it will be Shanny who makes that call. It would not shock me if Shanny fires him though. Shanny is very unconventional. He has never done the predictable things even when he was a kid. I can't see occurring this year if Babs takes Leafs into round 2. But if Leafs out again round 1 it will be part of the agenda. Babs controls his fate for the day. But if he loses again and gets let go then Babs is set for life so no biggie to him i think. Only his pride would be hurt failing in Toronto.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Of course I didn't read it bro! Was a jab at him calling Reimer's mom. Bad enough he's on Leafs Lunch, who reads that tripe
You can bury your head in the sand all you want but he brings up some excellent points.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Couldn't be anymore perfect that you take him seriously. Lol.
This ain't no Kessel at a hotdog stand story my friend, he's bringing up objective points that are very questionable.

For instance, why do you think Babcock rushes his first unit off to get Marleau and Ennis on? They're good questions, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Dave Feschuk article?

giphy.gif

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dave Feschuk is awful.

However the main premise is essentially what 80% of us here question ourselves. Marleau being run out there. PP1 not playing enough of the powerplays. (Should be AT LEAST 80 seconds of it... not 40), no changes to the PK despite Begeron and co. tearing ours apart.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This ain't no Kessel at a hotdog stand story my friend, he's bringing up objective points that are very questionable.

For instance, why do you think Babcock rushes his first unit off to get Marleau and Ennis on? They're good questions, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
Look who else agrees with you lol.

I'm just glad Willie signed ;) You couldn't have less credibility...

I'm out :)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dave Feschuk is awful.

However the main premise is essentially what 80% of us here question ourselves. Marleau being run out there. PP1 not playing enough of the powerplays. (Should be AT LEAST 80 seconds of it... not 40), no changes to the PK despite Begeron and co. tearing ours apart.

I didn't click the link and I like to think of myself as more GM then coach (in terms of Armchair...ness) but if I can see the PP/PK is a problem and has been for a while, then the professionals should definitely see it and fix it.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I didn't click the link and I like to think of myself as more GM then coach (in terms of Armchair...ness) but if I can see the PP/PK is a problem and has been for a while, then the professionals should definitely see it and fix it.
Some valid criticisms on this board last game, I don't need confirmation from Feschuk. My loss for not reading I guess.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

(I didn't click either.)

Based on Tavares' morning interview, it appears he might be on the PK tonight.

He was asked if he'll be taking penalty kill faceoffs and he responded with a coy "maybe"

So while Babcock is going to say everything is staying the same (so as to not give anything away publicly) I hope we are in for some adjustments with our special teams.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
(I didn't click either.)

He was asked if he'll be taking penalty kill faceoffs and he responded with a coy "maybe"

So while Babcock is going to say everything is staying the same (so as to not give anything away publicly) I hope we are in for some adjustments with our special teams.

Game 6 would have been the time we needed that change made. Bergeron has been abusing Hyman on the dot all series. When you're only winning 1/4 faceoffs on the PK, it's inevitable your PK is going to look like shit.

I can understand Hyman is a superior PK'er to JT, but at what point does the deficit in faceoff ability override the actual ability to PK?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Some valid criticisms on this board last game, I don't need confirmation from Feschuk. My loss for not reading I guess.

(I didn't click either.)

If there was a night to run PP1 for 80% of the PP, this is it.

He also might want to reconsider Marleau at 5v5, he's been fairly useless. Moore or Ennis at LW on line 3 might be more appropriate.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If there was a night to run PP1 for 80% of the PP, this is it.

He also might want to reconsider Marleau at 5v5, he's been fairly useless. Moore or Ennis at LW on line 3 might be more appropriate.
Yep, really hoping we abandon the 2pp, I know it will mess up changes after the pp, but we need to score. Period.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
He needs to get a real center on the PK, win the draw and swap him out. Would be interested in Bergeron's FO% on the PP this series, I bet its like 80%.

It is the simplest of simple adjustments. Even getting it down to 65% will help massively, especially that first faceoff, it pretty much and auto 30 seconds right there.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Thanks Feschuk! Don't expect the small minded folks to take it too well though.

Feschuk HFBoards lurker confirmed

I liked this one too!

He and other Toronto media also steal from another board I'm on regularly.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I am guessing there were will very few minor penalties called. So yes killing them off or scoring on them is important. This game is being decided 5 on 5.
One would think marginal calls will be let go tonight but officials never fail to surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad