Dave Chappelle - The Dreamer

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He was an all-time great at his peak, but unfortunately the quality of his recent work falls far short of what he's capable of.

He's become more interested in trying to be a philosopher instead of a comedian. His long setups don't really go anywhere comedically, he just wants to make a point. The problem with that, is that he's not saying anything particularly interesting, so it results in a meandering, uninspired and bland hour.

It was a hell of lot better than the latest Ricky Gervais special though, I'll give it that.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
He was an all-time great at his peak, but unfortunately the quality of his recent work falls far short of what he's capable of.

He's become more interested in trying to be a philosopher instead of a comedian. His long setups don't really go anywhere comedically, he just wants to make a point. The problem with that, is that he's not saying anything particularly interesting, so it results in a meandering, uninspired and bland hour.

It was a hell of lot better than the latest Ricky Gervais special though, I'll give it that.
Interesting take. Everyone I know that watches his stand up specials on Netflix have all loved his comedy and story telling

• Haha
Reactions: DaaaaB's

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
he's one of the very few that i would label as can't wait to check asap. there must be a reason why netflix pays him the big bucks to do these specials every year. i haven't seen one that has sucked yet.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
he's one of the very few that i would label as can't wait to check asap. there must be a reason why netflix pays him the big bucks to do these specials every year. i haven't seen one that has sucked yet.
He's definitely on my Mount Rushmore of comedians. I agree 100% whenever I hear he's released a new special I watch it right away cause I know it's going to be hilarious

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Well, at least he is not PC, and while that itself doesn't make anyone automatically funny, it's good that there are a few comedians who don't give a s**t.

(I wonder how long this thread is going to last.)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This last special seemed pretty uninspired to me. Chappelle certainly still has his moments, but I don't think his most recent specials live up to the insights and laughs of his earlier work, the last two not even close really.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Apparently you don't know many people then. His old stuff was great, the newer stuff not so much but I can take a pretty good guess why you like his new stuff so much.
Both are great. Old and new....

I like the new stuff cause it's funny.....

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People understand further context behind some of the things he, and others, say when not being so subtle, and realize that they’re veiling being an asshole by saying ‘it’s comedy’ when in reality it’s just not that funny, or funny anymore, and then they cry about ‘being canceled.’

Chapelle has already done this once before, and now he’s done it again, which shows that he is just not in-touch with who he thinks he’s supposed to appeal to.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
People understand further context behind some of the things he, and others, say when not being so subtle, and realize that they’re veiling being an asshole by saying ‘it’s comedy’ when in reality it’s just not that funny, or funny anymore, and then they cry about ‘being canceled.’

Chapelle has already done this once before, and now he’s done it again, which shows that he is just not in-touch with who he thinks he’s supposed to appeal to.
Who is he "supposed to appeal to" ?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Whoever he thinks he’s supposed to given what he believes his brand of comedy is.
Judging by the money that Netflix pays him and the amount of people that watch and enjoy him, his brand of comedy is on top of the mountain at this point and really isn't debatable. He's the biggest comedian in the world and for good reason.....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Judging by the money that Netflix pays him and the amount of people that watch and enjoy him, his brand of comedy is on top of the mountain at this point and really isn't debatable. He's the biggest comedian in the world and for good reason.....
Yeah that’s a great barometer. Streaming platforms always get their money’s worth.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Yeah that’s a great barometer. Streaming platforms always get their money’s worth.
Companies wouldn't pay him 50 million dollars for a few stand up specials if it wasn't worth it. The most watched shows on Netflix from what I've read.....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Companies wouldn't pay him 50 million dollars for a few stand up specials if it wasn't worth it. The most watched shows on Netflix from what I've read.....
Maybe it makes it worthwhile to see what he says, but that doesn’t make the individual works good. And if that’s what his appeal is, then that’s what’s it is. The reviews seem to back that up, as does when the reaction in this thread. People get paid on who companies think they are or were all the time. Before his last special, he was basically begging to get ‘canceled’ so he’s really trying to make his cash not in his comedy but on whether or not he’s actually an asshole, and because he didn’t, he doesn’t have much else to say but talk about himself.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Both are great. Old and new....

I like the new stuff cause it's funny.....
Yep, just like the last thread you started here. You're definitely not looking for an argument.

That's hilarious that you think everyone likes his recent specials just because they watched them.

Reactions: Hivemind

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Yep, just like the last thread you started here. You're definitely not looking for an argument.

That's hilarious that you think everyone likes his recent specials just because they watched them.
Can't start a thread in the entertainment boards about entertainment like any other thread about movies, TV shows, ect..... Interesting.....

Not saying "everyone" likes it but way more do than don't.....

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Can't start a thread in the entertainment boards about entertainment like any other thread about movies, TV shows, ect..... Interesting.....

Not saying "everyone" likes it but way more do than don't.....
Do you actually think people here are stupid and can't see what you're doing. You can play dumb all you want but it's very obvious that you're looking for a political argument.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Do you actually think people here are stupid and can't see what you're doing. You can play dumb all you want but it's very obvious that you're looking for a political argument.
Usually people can have a discussion about things minus the same few people that try and make a big deal about things.

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Ok, whatever you need to tell yourself but you're incredibly transparent.
I don't need to tell myself anything :laugh:

If you can't handle a discussion about entertainment on the entertainment board then you could always not post or read this thread. Nobody's forcing you to be in here...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad