Daul PiPietro

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Okay, so the basic bio:

Drafted in the 5th round by Montreal in 1990, did a solid 4 years in Junior, then his mandatory Canadiens apprenticeship phase.

Finally breaks in with the big team in 1993 going an eye-popping 8-5-13/17 for the cup champs in the playoffs. has a decent 13-20-33/70 with the Canadiens the next year along with another really impressive 2-4-6/7 in the playoffs. Has a slow start to the lockout shortened season which prompts Savard to flip him to the Leafs for a 4th. Puts up 4-4-8/20 with the Leafs to finish that season, then plays less than 10 NHL games total from that point on (also note, he doesnt seem to play many games per season in the minors, possibly injury troubles?)

Goes to the Swiss league by 2000 and plays there forever. Also plays for the Swiss national team in the 2006 Olympics and kills Canada in one of their many stumbles there.

How does a guy manage to break the Canadiens as a depth player when they actually had the best development systems in hockey, put up a 677 points percentage in 31 playoff games including being a fairly important starter on a cup winner, and then be completely out of the continent within 4-5 years?

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Okay, so the basic bio:

Drafted in the 5th round by Montreal in 1990, did a solid 4 years in Junior, then his mandatory Canadiens apprenticeship phase.

Finally breaks in with the big team in 1993 going an eye-popping 8-5-13/17 for the cup champs in the playoffs. has a decent 13-20-33/70 with the Canadiens the next year along with another really impressive 2-4-6/7 in the playoffs. Has a slow start to the lockout shortened season which prompts Savard to flip him to the Leafs for a 4th. Puts up 4-4-8/20 with the Leafs to finish that season, then plays less than 10 NHL games total from that point on (also note, he doesnt seem to play many games per season in the minors, possibly injury troubles?)

Goes to the Swiss league by 2000 and plays there forever. Also plays for the Swiss national team in the 2006 Olympics and kills Canada in one of their many stumbles there.

How does a guy manage to break the Canadiens as a depth player when they actually had the best development systems in hockey, put up a 677 points percentage in 31 playoff games including being a fairly important starter on a cup winner, and then be completely out of the continent within 4-5 years?

In a sentence : 1995 was a really bad time to be 5'8. In 2020, he would be a tweener winger somewhere in the NHL, but heading into the dead puck era where every team had 3-4 no-talent goons and grinders on their rosters, he was shoved out. More specifically, his coach in Montreal where he had success was the offense-oriented Jacques Demers, but after moving to Toronto and LA he was not the sort of guy that Pat Burns and Larry Robinson wanted in their forward groups at that time.

He was also born a few years too early for the 1998-2000 NHL expansion, which created a lot of jobs for players of his ilk born in the mid-1970s. By that time he was already in Europe, but just on the expansion Nashville team you had a stack of tweener skill players with similar pedigrees in :

Sebastien Bordeleau
Vitali Yachmenev
Scott Walker
Sergei Krivokrasov
Andrew Brunette
Ville Peltonen

If there was an NHL expansion circa 1996, Dipietro almost certainly ends up on one of those teams as a top-6 guy and puts up some 40-50 point seasons.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
In a sentence : 1995 was a really bad time to be 5'8. In 2020, he would be a tweener winger somewhere in the NHL, but heading into the dead puck era where every team had 3-4 no-talent goons and grinders on their rosters, he was shoved out. More specifically, his coach in Montreal where he had success was the offense-oriented Jacques Demers, but after moving to Toronto and LA he was not the sort of guy that Pat Burns and Larry Robinson wanted in their forward groups at that time.

He was also born a few years too early for the 1998-2000 NHL expansion, which created a lot of jobs for players of his ilk born in the mid-1970s. By that time he was already in Europe, but just on the expansion Nashville team you had a stack of tweener skill players with similar pedigrees in :

Sebastien Bordeleau
Vitali Yachmenev
Scott Walker
Sergei Krivokrasov
Andrew Brunette
Ville Peltonen

If there was an NHL expansion circa 1996, Dipietro almost certainly ends up on one of those teams as a top-6 guy and puts up some 40-50 point seasons.
What was the perception of his defensive game? Again, I might be putting too much emphasis on the Canadiens historical quality of development, but youd think anyone that came out of their pipeline in those days learned to play at least plausible defence

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What was the perception of his defensive game? Again, I might be putting too much emphasis on the Canadiens historical quality of development, but youd think anyone that came out of their pipeline in those days learned to play at least plausible defence

Hab fans could probably give a better answer than my recollections from 25+ years ago which are mostly from the 1993 playoffs. I don't really remember his defensive game, just remember that he was a tiny skill waterbug with quick hands around the net, maybe a bit lesser version of a Donald Audette.

Regardless of whether he was or wasn't good defensively, I think it was *perceived* at that time that any 5'8" player was a liability away from the puck and had to score a lot to make up for it.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Take a look at his line mates. When you look who he played with it is sort of easy to figure things out. Like warren young, take a look at his stats and how quickly things changed when he lost his line mates

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Take a look at his line mates. When you look who he played with it is sort of easy to figure things out. Like warren young, take a look at his stats and how quickly things changed when he lost his line mates

Actually, the opposite of this appears to be the case.

Of his 33 points in 1993-94, only 8 involved the team's top 3 scorers in Bellows/Damphousse/Muller, and when you look at the numbers he looks to only have been playing 10-12 minutes/game with a bit of 2nd unit PP time.

Of his 30 points between regular season and playoffs in 1992-93, only 10 involved Bellows/Damphousse/Muller. He does appear to have been on Damphousse's line for a bit, but hardly anchored there.

Going through his scoring logs, you see a lot of Keane/Savard/Brunet/Dionne ... so generally middle-6 icetime.

Also, Vincent Damphousse was a fine player, but he wasn't exactly Mario Lemieux in terms of being a linemate.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
so i weirdly remembered dipietro as an alyn mccauley-style low key clutch scorer on the '94 campbell's finals leafs but then i checked his hockey-ref and it's a totally made up memory

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
so i weirdly remembered dipietro as an alyn mccauley-style low key clutch scorer on the '94 campbell's finals leafs but then i checked his hockey-ref and it's a totally made up memory
The memory is real, you just have it confused with the Leafs-Hawks series the next year, where Dipietro went 1-1-2/7 with a minus 3

1995 Stanley Cup playoffs - Wikipedia

Which I think has to be the berenstain bears of NHL history. Its a playoff series between two Original Six teams, two teams that would have had at least a passing dislike, it went seven games, with a dramatic OT in game 6, and Ive literally never heard anyone reminisce about it, ever.

I mean, look at this nonsense, Randy Wood scoring two goals in game six including an overtime winner? Sounds fake

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Actually, the opposite of this appears to be the case.

Of his 33 points in 1993-94, only 8 involved the team's top 3 scorers in Bellows/Damphousse/Muller, and when you look at the numbers he looks to only have been playing 10-12 minutes/game with a bit of 2nd unit PP time.

Of his 30 points between regular season and playoffs in 1992-93, only 10 involved Bellows/Damphousse/Muller. He does appear to have been on Damphousse's line for a bit, but hardly anchored there.

Going through his scoring logs, you see a lot of Keane/Savard/Brunet/Dionne ... so generally middle-6 icetime.

Also, Vincent Damphousse was a fine player, but he wasn't exactly Mario Lemieux in terms of being a linemate.

Curious on where you got the highlighted information from.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The memory is real, you just have it confused with the Leafs-Hawks series the next year, where Dipietro went 1-1-2/7 with a minus 3

1995 Stanley Cup playoffs - Wikipedia

Which I think has to be the berenstain bears of NHL history. Its a playoff series between two Original Six teams, two teams that would have had at least a passing dislike for each other at the time, it went seven games, with a dramatic OT in game 6, and Ive literally never heard anyone reminisce about it, ever.

I mean, look at this nonsense, Randy Wood scoring two goals in game six including an overtime winner? Sounds fake

well i sure didn't remember correctly that he was sneaky clutch in that series... unless those two points were really important? idk i have no functional memories of chicago/toronto 1995.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad