Ansar Khan: Datsyuk said he wants to sign extension with Wings

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's semantics. He wouldn't come out and say this if his intentions weren't to re-sign. He's not going back to Russia for a few years at least, sorry to the natives.

Exactly, this would've been worded and timed a lot differently if he didn't actually want to stay, or was even on the fence.

I hope this gives Holland a little more visibility and confidence on the Wing's future cap space situation. He must've been tentative in signing other players not knowing exactly how much money would be needed to keep Dats in town.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Certainly sounds positive and July 5th seems like they will quickly come to something. But just something to keep in mind he is now going home to Russia and will be with his family. I think they will have talked about this before, but there is the off-chance they talk him right back out of this if they really did want him to come home. I put that at a very low percentage, but until pen hits paper that is a possible as well.

I know what a downer comment, now back to the celebrations.

stephen-colbert-celebration-gif.gif

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Datsyuk is the most exciting player in the League. The playoffs (round 2) was not so great, but he atracts fans, he is a highlight show. He produces in the regular season, he is great defensively.
Maybe the reason why he and Franzen did not produce enough in round 2 is because they had Quincey and Smith With them and they had to cover for them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The rumors that Babs goes there when his contract ends.

Yeah.

Summer of 2015 will be a BIG CHANGE in organization history.

- Mike Babcock retires from NHL duties (goes to University coach)
- Jeff Blashill is promoted from Griffins to be the Next Wings Head Coach
- Ken Holland could retire from GM duties and take the spot from Devellano as Senior Vice President
- New GM is hopefully Steve Yzerman
- Red Wings move to new Home Arena

irishock

Fire Ken Holland
Jan 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Yeah.

- Ken Holland could retire from GM duties and take the spot from Devellano as Senior Vice President

Terrible news tbh

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yeah.

Why do people want Steve Yzerman to be the GM of the Wings so badly? He's proven nothing. In fact, i'd say he's been pretty bad as a GM despite being handed a readymade superstar player in Stamkos and a former MVP in St. Louis.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why do people want Steve Yzerman to be the GM of the Wings so badly? He's proven nothing. In fact, i'd say he's been pretty bad as a GM despite being handed a readymade superstar player in Stamkos and a former MVP in St. Louis.

It's a learning process. He is now learning the routines, doing mistakes (thank god not doing those mistakes at Detroit) and being a better GM when learning from those mistakes.

At Red Wings he would part of the management group that always helps. More brains = better result. Holland would still be his Master...

I just think Yzerman has better connections for free agents and maybe better trade connections. "Hi this is Steve Yzerman calling... I want you..."

How many dare to say no for Yzerman... :nod:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

People sometimes say a team with Datsyuk and Zetterberg would never be a bottom dweller, so Holland gets little credit for keeping the team afloat.

But then I guess what's the excuse when you have Stamkos, St. Louis, and Lecavalier. They should be a playoff team if nothing else. But in fairness, Yzerman should get more time. Still, it's worth keeping in mind even with a possible generational talent like Stamkos things can go south.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yzerman doesn't have Babcock behind his bench down in Tampa, either. Coaching hasn't exactly been awesome down there.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
People sometimes say a team with Datsyuk and Zetterberg would never be a bottom dweller, so Holland gets little credit for keeping the team afloat.

But then I guess what's the excuse when you have Stamkos, St. Louis, and Lecavalier. They should be a playoff team if nothing else. But in fairness, Yzerman should get more time. Still, it's worth keeping in mind even with a possible generational talent like Stamkos things can go south.

Wasn't their goalie the major problem? Wing's drafting has been fantastic for a while now. D+Z provide Selke level defense, each on their own line, while putting up a PPG pace. Howard is a great goalie, top10 starter in the league.

I give Holland a ton of credit for drafting/development. He's found a ton of talent picking late, consistently for decades now. His major problem is being overly loyal and way too risk averse in trades/signings. But with his drafting, it's not that much of a problem in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs. Good drafting/development = you will make it.

But you have to admit, if you take Z/D out of the equation here, even if we replaced them with the best pipeline talent we have coming, it's not a playoff team. We barely squeaked in this year winning 4 in a row. Does that happen with those two guys? I doubt it very much.
Yzerman doesn't have Babcock behind his bench down in Tampa, either. Coaching hasn't exactly been awesome down there.
Which is another change Yzerman made. He's seeing the problems and attempting to fix them. Let's see if his judgment as to solutions are good.
Terrible news tbh
How can you say that? Blashill is basically Babcock Jr. He's done good things with the Griffins and he sounds identical to Babcock to boot. The only difference is less hair

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

Because it's Steve yzerman and people assume that because he was a good player that he will make a good gm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad