Ansar Khan: Datsyuk said he wants to sign extension with Wings

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
AnsarKhanMLive: Datsyuk said he wants to sign extension with Wings this summer. Looking forward to staying in Detroit beyond next season.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
He should have used this situation as bargaining, like "Kenny get me a right-handed sniper and a big guy that creates space and i'll re-sign beyond next season"

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
tumblr_lt4djiyO7k1qbymhco1_r4_250.gif

28465-George-Costanza-dances-gif-U4an.gif

gif+happy+dance.gif

That pretty much sums up my reaction.

RedAce

Mar 9, 2005
New York, NY
"I want to stay" And "I Will stay" are two completely different statements.

Datsyuk has said he will play a few seasons in the KHL before he retires and he has said in the Press is Ekaterniburg he will play at least one year for Avto.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...to.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings center Pavel Datsyuk said today that he hopes to sign a contract extension with the club this summer, putting to rest rumors and speculation that he will return to Russia in 2014, when his NHL contract expires.

The Red Wings cleaned out their lockers today at Joe Louis Arena and Datsyuk said he wants to remain in North America for at least a few more seasons. He would still like to finish his career in Russia, but that still is years away, he indicated.

Datsyuk has played 11 seasons in Detroit.

He was the Red Wings' leading scorer with 15 goals and 34 assists in 47 games during the regular season. In the playoffs, Datsyuk had three goals and six assists in 14 games.

More details on his desire to remain in Detroit are coming shortly.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Datsyuk has said he will play a few seasons in the KHL before he retires and he has said in the Press is Ekaterniburg he will play at least one year for Avto.

It's semantics. He wouldn't come out and say this if his intentions weren't to re-sign. He's not going back to Russia for a few years at least, sorry to the natives.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

He's 34 and he got a later start in the NHL, he has a lot of hockey left in him. A few seasons in the KHL could be from ages 38-40 or beyond.

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'd love to see him sign for 5 years. He can go back to play when he's 40 and get a couple years over there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
iynCsXZR3nUrq.gif

This is fantastic news, looks like he wants to hang around for a couple more years.

The chances of 13 hitting the rafters just improved, especially if he will signs like a three to four year extension.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
“It's not 100 percent, but I hope we agree and sign more,'' Datsyuk said. “I'm looking forward (to signing with the Red Wings). I would love to stay.''

He said nobody should read anything into his comments during training camp, when he said it would be his dream to finish his career in Russia.

“(Media) asked me and just I answered it's fun to be home (in Russia),'' Datsyuk said. “But (he left) one home to come to another home (here). When you play too much here, it's nice to come back home (to Russia).

“I hope so we agree and I sign new deal.''

Asked how long he'd like to remain in the NHL, Datsyuk said, “My time is too long, you never know. Hockey now is so competitive, so aggressive game. You never know. But I'm looking forward.''

He was encouraged by the team's playoff run and growth of many young players. He believes the future is bright.

“My optimism is always on the top,'' Datsyuk said. “This is how we can play. We played together. I like it.

“We don't have too many Nick Lidstrom, (Steve) Yzerman or (Sergei) Fedorov, but we play together and it's a good year for us. I'm looking forward to keeping same team, kind of, and doing the same next year.''

He still would like to play in Russia one day.

“This is my goal, but you never know how this go,'' Datsyuk said. “I would love to finish (in Russia), give back to my friends and fans in Russia. I hope so I'll be in good shape (then).''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/05/pavel_datsyuk_says_he_wants_to.html

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Thank Jeebus.

So he'll stay for another 2-4 years after this year. Put up 60-80 points in an 82 game season during that time, mentor the new kids coming in. Good. All good.

I don't think Datsyuk's the kind of guy to say he wants to stay if he's not serious about it. Just hope it leaves us some room to make some additions.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Pavel's smarts will allow him to play into his 40's if he wants to. Few more years with Detroit, couple of seasons in Russia.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
If Pav gives us another 4-5 years, then he will have likely cemented his status as a Wing all-timer and my all time favorite athlete.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I hope he signs a new deal. One of my favorite players not on the Bruins and I want to see him play 6 times a year (or however many times you play division opponents with this realignment).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->