Injury Report: Datsyuk out with concussion symptoms (Skating Wednesday, Post 160)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Datsyuk said he is feeling a little better but not where he needs to be to play. Doesn't think he's going on trip to NYI and OTT.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Datsyuk wouldn't comment on Cowen's elbow to his chin or NHL's decision not to suspend him.

Kronwal will

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Shanahan lost 90% of his credibility with me on the Weber hit on Z. Now he's lost the other 10%. Get well Pavel

His explanation sort of made sense.

1. They were immediately reviewing it because Datsyuk is not an embellisher and rarely even falls. So they took a close look. (Wish Sens fans would have realized that instead of immediately jumping on the dive bandwagon, but whatever.)

2. They determined that it was definitely an elbow, and should have been at least a minor call during the game.

3. They didn't perceive "intent" from the hit.

4. They did see Datsyuk significantly change the position of his body and head.

5. They thought Datsyuk was fine. Shaken up on the play, yes, but he got up and finished the game. At that point, no word on Datsyuk's symptoms or being out for multiple games.

6. Cowen was playing the very next day. According to Shanny, usually with these things they have a day or two to review, but since they only had a few hours to make a call, they rushed it, and so never had a chance to take into account the severity of the injury and symptoms experienced by Datsyuk.

To me, watching him on NHL Live explaining it to EJ, it sounded like if he had some more time and had known that Datsyuk would be out this long, he would have suspended Cowen.

Frozen Fiend

DOUBLE D
Oct 22, 2007
Kalamazoo
They really shouldn't take the injury severity into account when making suspension decisions... especially with concussions. Some hits that aren't very bad result in long term concussions, while other hits which are bad result in short term issues. The play itself is the only thing that should be judged.

If I shoot someone in the head and they don't die (exaggerated example, but this happens) should I receive less of a punishment? Nope.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They really shouldn't take the injury severity into account when making suspension decisions... especially with concussions. Some hits that aren't very bad result in long term concussions, while other hits which are bad result in short term issues. The play itself is the only thing that should be judged.

If I shoot someone in the head and they don't die (exaggerated example, but this happens) should I receive less of a punishment? Nope.

Actually you receive attempted murder versus murder, so.... Bad exaggerated example.:laugh:

In Michigan you can get up to life in prison for it, but you do have parole and it can be as small as 10 years, though shooting someone in the head would likely go well above the minimum.

For 1st degree murder you get life in prison without parole, so different.

Last edited:

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack

Devils advocate: what if a dirty hit ends a guy's year or career (savard)? Should the punishment still not be influenced by the severity of the damage?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Devils advocate: what if a dirty hit ends a guy's year or career (savard)? Should the punishment still not be influenced by the severity of the damage?

Even bigger devils advocate, the Savard hit was 100% legal when it happened by league rules, thus Cooke rightly faced nothing in the form of discipline and that play should not be used as a point of reference.;) I wonder how Mike Richards has avoided this, Savard actually came back and suffered a worsening of his condition after that hit, but he did play again. Booth has never been the same since Richards tagged him either. Also curious if Steckel ever sends Hedman like a hate filled card for being the only guy blamed for Crosby's misfortunes.

Last edited:

Frozen Fiend

DOUBLE D
Oct 22, 2007
Kalamazoo
Actually you receive attempted murder versus murder, so.... Bad exaggerated example.:laugh:

In Michigan you can get up to life in prison for it, but you do have parole and it can be as small as 10 years, though shooting someone in the head would likely go well above the minimum.

For 1st degree murder you get life in prison without parole, so different.

Dammit lol. Still though, it should be treated the same way.

idk haha

Frozen Fiend

DOUBLE D
Oct 22, 2007
Kalamazoo

That's the thing though, say if the exact same hit ends one guys career but only injures another? The game isn't played in a vacuum where a certain hit will always end with the same outcome.

It's a grey area for sure.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dammit lol. Still though, it should be treated the same way.

idk haha

Ideally, but people aren't wired that way it seems.

Drive drunk and hit a tree. Expensive, loss of privileges, but it won't ruin your life.
Drive drunk and kill a person. And get ready for jail.

Same action, but a different result modifies the punishment significantly.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
That's the thing though, say if the exact same hit ends one guys career but only injures another? The game isn't played in a vacuum where a certain hit will always end with the same outcome.

It's a grey area for sure.

Yes it is. We have all seen some brilliant hits by Kronwall and while perfectly legal they could have the effect of seriously injuring a player. Should the hit then be ruled illegal? I view an elbow to the head area differently because the only purpose would be intent to injure..I.E. it's not a hockey play, it's a thug play.

This is why I question Shanny's objectivity. The elbow and similiar type actions should be an automatic suspension, regardless of the outcome.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yes it is. We have all seen some brilliant hits by Kronwall and while perfectly legal they could have the effect of seriously injuring a player. Should the hit then be ruled illegal? I view an elbow to the head area differently because the only purpose would be intent to injure..I.E. it's not a hockey play, it's a thug play.

That is not a good comparison.

Clean hockey plays aren't suspendable, regardless of whether an injury occurs or not. Injury is taken into account when the play is deemed unclean.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 31 s
Per Ken Holland, #RedWings F Pavel Datsyuk (concussion) doubtful for Wed. vs. Flyers. Todd Bertuzzi (shoulder) likely ready Wed. or weekend

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Is it just me or does Datsyuk have some pretty bad luck when it comes to injuries?

I dont think he does really.

It's funny how they're calling it concussion like symptoms as if he doesnt have a concussion. Do we call it flu like symptoms when someones out with the flu?

Mlive just reported that Holland said Datsyuk will have to practice for a week before returning.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Is it just me or does Datsyuk have some pretty bad luck when it comes to injuries?

Absolutely.

10-11: Samuelsson trips him and he breaks his hand/wrist

11-12: him and Toews collide and he injures his knee. Plays through it for a while but is noticeably not the same, then has to go off for surgery

Back to back years where he gets injured while having a great start to the year (he was 4th in NHL scoring at the time of both if those injuries). So in two of his prime years he's been sidelined and it clearly has an impact on his scoring upon returning. So instead of potentially having 4 90+ point Selkie type seasons, he has 2 and people will likely forget how good he was when just looking at his numbers from those seasons.

Then here we go again this year. We don't have a clue how long he'll be out, but it definitely doesn't sound or look two promising as of right now.

That makes 3 out of the last 4 seasons that he's been injured.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Russian Olympic Team fans are more worried right now than Wings fans. Who's the 2nd best russian center with Selke ability after Dats?

Johnz96*

Absolutely.

10-11: Samuelsson trips him and he breaks his hand/wrist

11-12: him and Toews collide and he injures his knee. Plays through it for a while but is noticeably not the same, then has to go off for surgery

Back to back years where he gets injured while having a great start to the year (he was 4th in NHL scoring at the time of both if those injuries). So in two of his prime years he's been sidelined and it clearly has an impact on his scoring upon returning. So instead of potentially having 4 90+ point Selkie type seasons, he has 2 and people will likely forget how good he was when just looking at his numbers from those seasons.

Then here we go again this year. We don't have a clue how long he'll be out, but it definitely doesn't sound or look two promising as of right now.

That makes 3 out of the last 4 seasons that he's been injured.

And Bettman robbed him of some prime years as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad