Injury Report: Datsyuk has ankle surgery, unknown when he'll be ready for NHL season

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
not really surprised. datsyuk is probably the slowest healer i have ever seen. probably tack on at least another 3 weeks to the estimated time table for return

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Let's just hope he can come back and stay healthy. I'm not too worried about this, he's not going to play 82 games and playoffs anymore.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Let's just hope he can come back and stay healthy. I'm not too worried about this, he's not going to play 82 games and playoffs anymore.

Yep. I don't hope anything more than he would be 100% at the playoffs.

Better this way than getting an injury during the season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yep. I don't hope anything more than he would be 100% at the playoffs.

Better this way than getting an injury during the season.

Problem is that doesn't seem real likely either. Datsyuk is 37 he is injured at this point. Have they fixed his ankle up a percentage? Yes. Are his wrists a little better than they were when he had surgery? Yes. Are his knees a little better? Yes.

But he is a banged up guy, such is life as an older NHL player. When is the last time Datsyuk was healthy for a series? Phoenix before getting hurt?

I don't expect a huge year out of him, kind of like Zetterberg slowed with no off-season training last year.

Actually why most older guys retire, they need the full off-season to get in the kind of shape to handle the grind and they are constantly nursing knocks through the off-season. Kind of why it eventually becomes the end, but usually why all of them have the workout test on whether or not they are coming back that Lidstrom talked about all the time. Hopefully Zetterberg with a full off-season of work can handle the bigger load as Datsyuk did for him last year.

Excited for Datsyuk to come back, but I am not expecting a point per game and it is going to take him a while to knock off the rust and probably will hurt him sometime in March that he couldn't put in any work this summer.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Btw, Chelios was same aged as Datsyuk now when he was traded to Detroit.

Pavel is not Cleary, even with both legs gone he can still make passes no one else is able to do. That's why I think he will be here until his 40's. He just loves the game.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If the centers at the start of the season end up being Zetterberg, Richards, Sheahan and Glendening I don't think that is going to work out very well. Time will tell but that top 6 is probably going to struggle and struggle hard.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If the centers at the start of the season end up being Zetterberg, Richards, Sheahan and Glendening I don't think that is going to work out very well. Time will tell but that top 6 is probably going to struggle and struggle hard.

We'll have to rely pretty heavily on our wingers to really step it up. I think Datsyuk is great, but I don't think his presence is the difference between struggling and not struggling at this point. In fact, if it is. That tells us a lot about this season, if it hinges on a 37 year old injury prone center.

Aug 6, 2012
We'll have to rely pretty heavily on our wingers to really step it up. I think Datsyuk is great, but I don't think his presence is the difference between struggling and not struggling at this point. In fact, if it is. That tells us a lot about this season, if it hinges on a 37 year old injury prone center.

To be honest, I don't know how you could say that. A healthy Datsyuk last year was one of the best players in the league. He has an enormous presence.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Richards, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson???
Four centers with options on wings. Andersson is eh, but he can win F/o's.
Give Glenie more ice time. Keep Z on the wing?
Always have Helmer for center 3rd line as wel

Aug 6, 2012
Richards, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson???
Four centers with options on wings. Andersson is eh, but he can win F/o's.
Give Glenie more ice time. Keep Z on the wing?
Always have Helmer for center 3rd line as wel

If we plan on keeping Z on the wing: Sheahan, Richards, Larkin, Glendening. Definitely think this is the best route to go.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
If we plan on keeping Z on the wing: Sheahan, Richards, Larkin, Glendening. Definitely think this is the best route to go.

I do feel that Larkin will be held back for the start of the season. I want to see him crack the line-up, but I doubt execs will let him esentailly skip the AHL

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
If Franzen is unable to return, the Wings will only have 13 forwards who are generally regarded as NHLers to start the season (Zetterberg, Richards, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Abdelkader, Helm, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Glendening, Miller, Ferarro, Andersson). Someone who is expected to start the year in the Grand Rapids will have to be in Detroit.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If Franzen is unable to return, the Wings will only have 13 forwards who are generally regarded as NHLers to start the season (Zetterberg, Richards, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Abdelkader, Helm, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Glendening, Miller, Ferarro, Andersson). Someone who is expected to start the year in the Grand Rapids will have to be in Detroit.

Andy Miele perhaps?, a Center,uncalled card...
(he is expected to start the year in Grand Rapids)

I know that not many fans have faith in him,but
he has improved each year and he has one great
upside,his chemistry with Teemu Pulkkinen.

Last two years, Miele has been Pulky's center in Grand Rapids.
57 goals, 100 assists in 157 games, 128 penalty minutes.

Put him same line with Pulky and let see what happens

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Andy Miele perhaps?, a Center,uncalled card...
(he is expected to start the year in Grand Rapids)

I know that not many fans have faith in him,but
he has improved each year and he has one great
upside,his chemistry with Teemu Pulkkinen.

Last two years, Miele has been Pulky's center in Grand Rapids.
57 goals, 100 assists in 157 games, 128 penalty minutes.

Put him same line with Pulky and let see what happens

Last year was his first in GR.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Well it was done on 7-19, and he said we will see how it goes. So that is telling me end of December beginning of Jan. That is not what was first said at all.

Datsyuk's surgery was done back on 6/26 according to the initial news reports. At that time, they were saying he was going to be in a cast 4-6 weeks and then reevaluated by doctors after 3 months, or the end of September or early October.....

Now they are saying 4 months instead of 3 months, putting it closer to October/November before he is likely to hit the ice again.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I'm confused what you are getting at. Having 13 NHL caliber forwards without Datsyuk is hardly an issue.

You also have Tangradi, Callahan, or Miele who could step in and hold their own.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
To be honest, I don't know how you could say that. A healthy Datsyuk last year was one of the best players in the league. He has an enormous presence.

Definitely, but in the regular season? It shouldn't be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

We missed him for half a season 2 years ago and 15+ games last year and our record was par for the course.

It's an 82 game season. If one player breaks your team, then you're a paper tiger to begin with.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I'm confused what you are getting at. Having 13 NHL caliber forwards without Datsyuk is hardly an issue.

You also have Tangradi, Callahan, or Miele who could step in and hold their own.

They don't even need to step in. They just need to warm the bench.

Having 13 NHL forwards is a blessing in some respects. You stick a guy like Tangradi on the bench - a guy whose development is moot - and both camps get more ice time to spread around to the prospects on the respective clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad