Injury Report: Datsyuk has ankle surgery, unknown when he'll be ready for NHL season

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Well, ideally he would do both. Agree though he is a top-notch PK'er.

Was mostly thinking if he got a job out of camp, he wouldn't see PP time right away. But who knows, he looked great on the PP in GR from what I saw.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I do agree that that lineup is getting clogged up a little bit and there isn't exactly an obviously open space for him anywhere but maybe a #3C, but is it really that outlandish if the figure came in around 3.5 million? Given his injury history he hasn't really "established" himself in any kind of point producing role like soderberg so I don't see him getting 4m unless he pots 40 points this coming season. Initially that sounds like a lot to take on but if Im not mistaken he has a 2.5m hit right now so a million dollar raise doesn't sound too crazy given inflation.

As far as where he fits in, well, that is a much more diffocult question to answer. He can easily fill a #3C role if Sheahan takes his game up a notch and given Larkin likely won't be on the Wings roster next season or maybe even the season after I cam stomach that cap hit for a #3C. Given Datsyuk amd Z will be a year or two older moving one of them to Wing and providing Larkin an opportunity and keeping helm as a fast gritty forechecking 3rd liner isn't exactly crazy either.

So to illustrate if Larkin reaches a part of his potential I think we'd see lines similar to this

Datsyuk - Larkin - Tatar
Zetterberg - Sheahan - Nyquist
Pulks - Helm - Abdelkader?

Mantha might be fighting for a spot at this point too admittedly which muddles things up, but I am fairly certain one of our wingers will be moved and Helm's versatility makes him a very valuable piece to hold on to as the team transitions away from datsyuk and Z. Plus lets be honest we are getting to the point where Dats is going to be on his last legs pretty soon.

In another season or two, where are you looking to fit Athanasiou, Nosek, and/or Bertuzzi? All of them look like NHLers to me, and that's without bringing up guys like Holmstrom, Ehn, or Turgeon who could still develop/surprise and push for roster spots. Not to mention the Russian we just drafted.

For possible price tags, Abdelkader and Helm are guys we could most likely replace from our prospect pool and who would garner a nice return in a trade. If you're high enough on Glendening, there's even an argument for moving him up to the third line center spot and then backfilling the fourth line, which becomes even easier.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think moving Helm would be a huge mistake, but there has been a lot of chatter surrounding it lately. Might even deserve it's own topic tbh. I just think Helm adds a dimension to the team that we lack--- he was frustrating at times as a top 6 winger but he was damm good at retrieving the puck and I feel really tool strides in becoming a fantastic possession player.

Just curious, but has there been any chatter surrounding Helm moving other than that on this message board?

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
In another season or two, where are you looking to fit Athanasiou, Nosek, and/or Bertuzzi? All of them look like NHLers to me, and that's without bringing up guys like Holmstrom, Ehn, or Turgeon who could still develop/surprise and push for roster spots. Not to mention the Russian we just drafted.

For possible price tags, Abdelkader and Helm are guys we could most likely replace from our prospect pool and who would garner a nice return in a trade. If you're high enough on Glendening, there's even an argument for moving him up to the third line center spot and then backfilling the fourth line, which becomes even easier.

You do raise good points. I'm not as high on Athanasiou as many here, but I think if he continues to progress he could be a reasonable replacement for helm minus the playoff experience. To be honest I like Nosek but I really don't know how much of a future he will have in Detroit, but given this was his first season in NA there is plenty of room for improvement and hopefully he proves me wrong. Bertuzzi is a wildcard, I really didn't expect him to transition as quickly as he did to the pro game. That said I don't see him cracking the roster for a few seasons because it's loaded with forward talent and he's waiver exempt for awhile yet.

I do not think Glendening should ever move off of that 4th line.

So when you put it this way I do agree that there are a couple prime replacements for Helm in Athanisiou and Bertuzzi and they will come at a cheaper price tag with more potential. However I have a bad gut feelong about it and it took a minute to figure out why and I think I know.

In a couple seasons Dats will be getting ready to retire away to Russia, Z and Kronwall will only be a couple seasons away and after that Helm and Abdelkader will likely be our "best" veteran assets that have been to and won the cup. I think they will be something like transitional veterans ushering in the new kids after Datsyuk and Zetterberg are gone. Unless Larkin steps in and really demands a kind of calming leadership role like Toews I think the stage is set for Helm and Abs to fulfill the role of wiley old veterans.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Just curious, but has there been any chatter surrounding Helm moving other than that on this message board?

I cannot point to specifics but I am certain I have seen posts about him being traded and uncertainty regarding his future--- admittedly I have seen more about trading Abs but the thought of Helm moving has at the very least been referenced.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I honestly think this is probably the best thing for both Datsyuk and for the Red Wings.

1) Datsyuk gets a proper chance to heal and recover. Doesnt need to rush back into the season
2) Datsyuk doesnt get worn down by the 82 game plus playoff season. Can probably roll in sometime in mid-December in peak fitness.
3) Other guys get more of a chance to step up rather than just let Pav do it. Team definitely needs more time into Tatar/Nyquist/Pulkkinen and the other young players.

Definite silver lining. I dont think we are in danger of missing playoffs so come end of the year, these 3 factors could give us an edge we might not otherwise have.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I don't get it, how is he missing the first couple of months? I'm Reading it as 5 months recovery from june, so he'll can start to rehab in october in the worst case scenario, which means that if it takes 6 weeks to recover he only miss 4-weeks? And that's if everything goes slow. Or am i reading it wrong maybe?

Edit: oh i thought he got the surgery just before/begginging june.. But yeah i guess he really could miss 2 months then. I suppose helm goes center rather than that they call larkin up though.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Someone at his age can't take too much time off. It takes a lot of work to stay in game shape... ask Chelios

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Bummer, but also increases the probability that Larkin could make the team and be the 2C or 3C.
Gator-Z-Nyquist
Tats-Richards-Helm/Riley
Helm/Riley-Larkin-Jurco/Pookie
Lando-Luke-Miller

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Not sure why this would be surprising, Every thing that I've already heard suggested that Pavs wouldn't be back until November at the earliest any ways. Depending on how long Pavs is out maybe this gives Larkin a chance to make the team out of the gate.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not sure why this would be surprising, Every thing that I've already heard suggested that Pavs wouldn't be back until November at the earliest any ways. Depending on how long Pavs is out maybe this gives Larkin a chance to make the team out of the gate.

And it seems the Wings are almost always a bit generous in their time frames for guys coming back. It seems like most guys are always out a week or two longer than expected, so if they're saying November...I'd look at December as the actual return.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
why does everybody wont to see Larkin in the DRW. Is he better at this moment than AA or Jurco or Pulu or Nosek . Let him prove himself at AHL level .

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
why does everybody wont to see Larkin in the DRW. Is he better at this moment than AA or Jurco or Pulu or Nosek . Let him prove himself at AHL level .

I'd say he's probably better than all of those guys. I have a hard time seeing him come to Detroit and have less of an impact than Jurco or Pulu.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
And it seems the Wings are almost always a bit generous in their time frames for guys coming back. It seems like most guys are always out a week or two longer than expected, so if they're saying November...I'd look at December as the actual return.

Exactly I have a gut feeling that at the earliest he won't be back until late November early December.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Because according to Jeff Blashill he pretty much says that Larkin is pretty much ready to make the team if not out of camp before the season is over. He thinks if he's not on the team this year he definitely will be on the team 2016/17 season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Or at camp. I don't think comparing him to Jurco or Pulkkinen is accurate, though. If Larkin stays up, I think it's almost certainly at center. So, is he better than AA or Nosek for our third line center to start next year? Let him fight for it in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad