Injury Report: Datsyuk has ankle surgery, unknown when he'll be ready for NHL season

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I'm confused what you are getting at. Having 13 NHL caliber forwards without Datsyuk is hardly an issue.

You also have Tangradi, Callahan, or Miele who could step in and hold their own.
It means that there will be an legitimate opportunity for someone to win a roster spot in camp. Of course, they could go with a Tangradi or Callahan to sit in the press box, but the opportunity is there at least.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It means that there will be an legitimate opportunity for someone to win a roster spot in camp. Of course, they could go with a Tangradi or Callahan to sit in the press box, but the opportunity is there at least.

I think everything in the top 9 is settled, so I don't think there is an opportunity for someone like Mantha, Athanasiou, or Larkin to win a spot. At least not without an additional injury.

I think it is what you said in your last sentence. An opportunity for someone to take a spot as an extra skater, which would probably be someone like Callahan or Tangradi if I had to guess.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I think everything in the top 9 is settled, so I don't think there is an opportunity for someone like Mantha, Athanasiou, or Larkin to win a spot. At least not without an additional injury.

I think it is what you said in your last sentence. An opportunity for someone to take a spot as an extra skater, which would probably be someone like Callahan or Tangradi if I had to guess.

Which 9 would you consider to be locks with both Datsyuk and Franzen out? Zetterberg, Richards, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Abdelkader and Helm make 7. I don't see 2 other players who are guaranteed a spot in the top 9. Obviously we'd like for Jurco and Pulkkinen to win spots, but their roles are still undefined.

For the record, I don't think either Mantha or Athanasiou are ready for the NHL (I suspect Nosek is ahead of both in terms getting a call-up with the Wings). I see Larkin as the only prospect with a legitimate shot at getting into the lineup on opening night; he's simply a cut above the rest.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Which 9 would you consider to be locks with both Datsyuk and Franzen out? Zetterberg, Richards, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Abdelkader and Helm make 7. I don't see 2 other players who are guaranteed a spot in the top 9. Obviously we'd like for Jurco and Pulkkinen to win spots, but their roles are still undefined.

For the record, I don't think either Mantha or Athanasiou are ready for the NHL (I suspect Nosek is ahead of both in terms getting a call-up with the Wings). I see Larkin as the only prospect with a legitimate shot at getting into the lineup on opening night; he's simply a cut above the rest.

With Blashill as Head Coach, yes Id consider at least Pulkkinen a lock for the top 9. Probably Jurco too, but maybe not as much of a lock. I think Larkin has a shot but it's a really small one.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
With Blashill as Head Coach, yes Id consider at least Pulkkinen a lock for the top 9. Probably Jurco too, but maybe not as much of a lock. I think Larkin has a shot but it's a really small one.

I think Blashill like Jurco more than he does Pulkkinen to be honest. He has at least stated several times that some of the stuff Teemu does you don't have the patience for in the NHL.... He scores down here so you do is kind of the statement he has made a lot. Well Blashill is up there, do you think he will put up with it at the NHL level, I actually kind of doubt it. We will see, but Blash is very tight with Jurco.

Jurco is a Blashill boy, I expect he is higher up the pecking order than Teemu in all honesty.

Though eventually a Teemu and Jurco flanking Richards line is very intriguing for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Blashill like Jurco more than he does Pulkkinen to be honest. He has at least stated several times that some of the stuff Teemu does you don't have the patience for in the NHL.... He scores down here so you do is kind of the statement he has made a lot. Well Blashill is up there, do you think he will put up with it at the NHL level, I actually kind of doubt it. We will see, but Blash is very tight with Jurco.

Jurco is a Blashill boy, I expect he is higher up the pecking order than Teemu in all honesty.

Though eventually a Teemu and Jurco flanking Richards line is very intriguing for me.

Even after Blashill witnessed that utter dominance by Pulkkinen last year?

Actual Thought*

I agree, but Blash was in the A and Pulkkinen utterly dominated for him there.

That's what I was thinking of.
I just remember Blash saying he put up with Pulk's weaknesses because he scored at a torrid pace. He pretty much called him one dimensional. I hope he has higher standards as an NHL coach or Pulks can score at a torrid pace at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad