NHL Entry Draft: Dathockeydoe's CONSENSUS draft (#41 - #45)

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
dathockeydoe, did my #24 make it in the top 45? The suspense is killing me!

I watched him once out of curiosity (finding streams was near impossible, would not recommend) and he honestly blew me away. He did not strike me as a 17 year old draft eligible player.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
16242524-mmmain.png

27. Paul Bittner - 540 points

Highest Ranking - 12th
Lowest Ranking - Not ranked

This prospect has great size, strength, and is able to protect the puck quite well. He has surprisingly good hands and is able to make plays in small spaces. He is great on the forecheck and can cause well earned turnovers. He is still working on ways to use his size and skill to his advantage.

As you can see, TSN quite likes the talent in this prospect. If this player continues to compete and brings his level of consistency up, are teams going to be upset that they passed on a guy destined to be 6'4, 220 or more?

HF - 27th
FC- 28th
McKeens - 20th
TSN - 14th

Last edited:

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
No offence, but may I ask how many times you have Carlo seen play?
I mean earlier you posted that 3 goals is not enough to be inside your Top 45. And that just is not good reasoning IMO.

I have seen him play 4-5 times in the whl and all of his wjc games. He has the Defence and can skate well but he doesn't always make the smart play to get the Puck up ice and doesn't support the forwards well in the o-zone.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I honestly don't think Bittner will make it past 20 at the draft. He's had one of the best 2nd halves in the WHL this season, and now sits at 33 goals and 70 points in only 63 games. He doesn't have the mean streak of other big players, but this is still a 6'4 player who has yet to grow into his frame. He owns a rocket shot and his skating is markedly better now than even earlier this year.

Put all that together while remembering that GMs love their big forwards, and I think he goes anywhere from 14-20.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
I have seen him play 4-5 times in the whl and all of his wjc games. He has the Defence and can skate well but he doesn't always make the smart play to get the Puck up ice and doesn't support the forwards well in the o-zone.

I personally actually think he makes quite good decisions most of the time. Really did not look out of place at the WJC at all. To me the reason he made Team USA as a first time draft-eligible is that he is quite advanced for his age, rarely makes mistakes and just plays a rock solid overall game. It is true that he will never be a huge point producer, but I personally disagree with those who see him as a pure stay at home defenseman.

So Bittner now finally comes of the board. Quite a range of opinions. From 12th to unrankend. Personally I really have a hard time seeing 45 better players than him in this draft.
I mean what is not to like about him? He has great size, is an excellent skater and has a good shot. Not the most creative, but do not think thats a big deal.
I am also a bit confused why a guy like Meier is so far ahead of him. Does not make much sense to me :dunno:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Had 5+ Dmen ahead of him.
Did anyone else other than me not rank Carlo

I didn't. I'm not sold on Carlo as a top 45 talent in a draft this deep. He shows little offensive upside, and I feel that most of the hype he gets comes from his size. I value skill defenders like Dunn, Vande Sompel, and Chabot more.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I personally actually think he makes quite good decisions most of the time. Really did not look out of place at the WJC at all. To me the reason he made Team USA as a first time draft-eligible is that he is quite advanced for his age, rarely makes mistakes and just plays a rock solid overall game. It is true that he will never be a huge point producer, but I personally disagree with those who see him as a pure stay at home defenseman.

So Bittner now finally comes of the board. Quite a range of opinions. From 12th to unrankend. Personally I really have a hard time seeing 45 better players than him in this draft.
I mean what is not to like about him? He has great size, is an excellent skater and has a good shot. Not the most creative, but do not think thats a big deal.
I am also a bit confused why a guy like Meier is so far ahead of him. Does not make much sense to me :dunno:

I think it might have to do with Meier's better hands and offensive IQ. Meier to me seems to have a better offensive hpside, while prviding more dimensions to his game. I found from my viewings of him that he's more physical, and plays a more defensively responsible game than Bittner. As for Carlo, the reason he didn't make my top 45 is that When you have a draft this deep, you need your top 45 to all have serious upside. I don't find Carlo provides enough dimensions to his game to be anymore than a middle pairing guy. He has size, mobility, and defensive awareness, but that's all I really like about him. When you put him side by side with other d prospects on the board still (Dunn, Juulsen, Meloche, Carrier, Spencer, Vande Sompel), he doesn't have as high of a ceiling. I don't see him ever providing any offense to the team that drafts him, which cripples his capability to grow into a legit top pairing guy imo.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think it might have to do with Meier's better hands and offensive IQ. Meier to me seems to have a better offensive hpside, while prviding more dimensions to his game. I found from my viewings of him that he's more physical, and plays a more defensively responsible game than Bittner. As for Carlo, the reason he didn't make my top 45 is that When you have a draft this deep, you need your top 45 to all have serious upside. I don't find Carlo provides enough dimensions to his game to be anymore than a middle pairing guy. He has size, mobility, and defensive awareness, but that's all I really like about him. When you put him side by side with other d prospects on the board still (Dunn, Juulsen, Meloche, Carrier, Spencer, Vande Sompel), he doesn't have as high of a ceiling. I don't see him ever providing any offense to the team that drafts him, which cripples his capability to grow into a legit top pairing guy imo.

When you're drafting at 25-40 (the range I have Carlo in) you aren't going to get anyone who projects initially to be a top-pair defenseman. I'm not disagreeing with your logic and I'd also stay away from Carlo but that's just because I place very little value on physical defensive defensemen. That's just a personal preference. Carlo has middle-pairing upside and I think he's a really safe shot to make the NHL in some capacity. He's a strong defensive player, he's big with a mean streak, he has a hard shot, and he can skate very well. His hands and offensive decision-making need significant improvement but even if that doesn't happen there's room for him on anyone's bottom pair. I wouldn't take that sort of player 25-40, but I guarantee that some teams see value there.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
When you're drafting at 25-40 (the range I have Carlo in) you aren't going to get anyone who projects initially to be a top-pair defenseman. I'm not disagreeing with your logic and I'd also stay away from Carlo but that's just because I place very little value on physical defensive defensemen. That's just a personal preference. Carlo has middle-pairing upside and I think he's a really safe shot to make the NHL in some capacity. He's a strong defensive player, he's big with a mean streak, he has a hard shot, and he can skate very well. His hands and offensive decision-making need significant improvement but even if that doesn't happen there's room for him on anyone's bottom pair. I wouldn't take that sort of player 25-40, but I guarantee that some teams see value there.

Yeah it wasn't fair of me to take him down a notch for not having top pairing upside. I agree with what you said though, about physical defensive dmen not having as high of a value of skilled two way guys. It's a lot easier to find a strong shut down guy than someone who is strong offensively.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
a82d9230-80f1-11e4-a120-a1869531d13b_Swift-Current-Broncos-Jake-DeBrusk-Larry-MacDougal-The-Canadian-Press-.jpg

28. Jake Debrusk - 506 points

Highest Rank - 19th
Lowest Rank - not ranked

Debrusk seems to find his way around the offensive zone quite easily and relies on his placement and teammates to execute. He is certainly a smart player and has the makings to be a solid top 9 NHL forward. His size and passion help his compete level.

I'd say most people had him around this position. Is this a player that you'd just hate to see slip out of the 1st round?

HF - 28th
McKeens - 24th
TSN - 28th

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I had Debrusk at 28th. Kid can put the puck in the goal and has the drive to make himself intelligent in all aspects of the game. He's a high risk and high reward. I'm buying.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
still not sure about Debrusk tbh, i like his tools and his compete level but he still needs alot of work defensively (puck watches too much, doesnt move his feet and is frequently out of position). at this point hes a pretty risky pick for me, i have him in the 2nd but if he puts it all together he'll end up being a steal.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
still not sure about Debrusk tbh, i like his tools and his compete level but he still needs alot of work defensively (puck watches too much, doesnt move his feet and is frequently out of position). at this point hes a pretty risky pick for me, i have him in the 2nd but if he puts it all together he'll end up being a steal.

I personally had him in the 2nd as well but its already the 28th pick so unless you had him around 60th, it really isn't a surprise. At this point, there will be a lot of differences.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I had Debrusk unranked but I believe it was from sheer ignorance and lack of knowledge, not due to anything I didn't like. (Although I don't like what I'm hearing about him)

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I had Debrusk unranked but I believe it was from sheer ignorance and lack of knowledge, not due to anything I didn't like. (Although I don't like what I'm hearing about him)

Me too, completly forgot him and Vince Dunn. Don't know why.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Jeremy-Bracco-640x433.jpg

29. Jeremy Bracco - 493 points

Highest Ranking - 19th
Lowest Ranking - not ranked.

Lots of talent in this young man. At only 5'9, people still take a step back in consideration but he should still be a first round selection in this years draft. He is a great passer and a dynamite offensive weapon from the wing.

He loves to carry the puck so Corsi fanatics will love him. He is a possession player and he makes everyone on the ice better. Do you think specific teams will have him in mind? I know reservations of GM's are around having too many smaller skilled players in the lineup at the same time. Even with all his skill, do you think teams will pass on him purely for height reasons?

HF - 29th
FC - 24th
TSN - 29th

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
I think Bracco is the type of player Tampa Bay salivates over when you consider they will be picking 26-30 and the skill level that Bracco has. He has high end first round offensive upside but slides way down obviously due to size, I think it's exactly what Tampa looks for.

Not to mention there is absolutely no rush to bring him to the show anytime soon, he'll have plenty of time to add weight and refine his game in Syracuse, which is well known for being a great place for player development. I think Yzerman really is going for the high flying offensize style, possession driven game and doesn't give too many ****s about size (especially height), and it's paying off. This kid fits the bill so perfectly.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Surprised about the placement of the US Development players. There is still a forward left who I had above White, Boeser, Bracco.

grabovski94

Jun 18, 2011
Jeremy-Bracco-640x433.jpg

29. Jeremy Bracco - 493 points

Highest Ranking - 19th
Lowest Ranking - not ranked.

Lots of talent in this young man. At only 5'9, people still take a step back in consideration but he should still be a first round selection in this years draft. He is a great passer and a dynamite offensive weapon from the wing.

He loves to carry the puck so Corsi fanatics will love him. He is a possession player and he makes everyone on the ice better. Do you think specific teams will have him in mind? I know reservations of GM's are around having too many smaller skilled players in the lineup at the same time. Even with all his skill, do you think teams will pass on him purely for height reasons?

HF - 29th
FC - 24th
TSN - 29th

I can see bracco falling into mid second round. His size combined with his MUCH lower ppg in the second half of this season may be enough to see him fall IMO.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
article_large.jpg

30. Filip Chlapik - 453 points

Highest Ranking - 24th

Chlapik has had a great season for Charlottetown, showcasing his playmaking abilities and good hockey sense on all part of the ice. He's also has got a great shot to go along with that. He is another player that people have multitudes of opinion on. The controversy/discussion began when he was left off Czech National Junior team and he is usually pretty open with what he wants to improve about his game.

Scouts seem to be a with leery about him since his skating needs improving. Much like other import players, he is still learning the best way to use his physicality and body to create plays. What type of future do you think he could have in the NHL? He has vowed to use the off season to drastically improve what he sees as weaknesses.

HF - 30th
TSN - 24th

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Updated rankings

1. Connor Mcdavid (1)
2. Jack Eichel (2)
3. Mitch Marner (4)
4. Noah Hanifan (3)
5. Dylan Strome (5)
6. Oliver Kylington (12)
7. Ivan Provorov (7)
8. Pavel Zacha (11)
9. Mikko Rantanen (9)
10. Zack Werenski (6)
11. Lawson Crouse (10)
12. Matthew Barzel (8)
13. Nick Merkley (16)
14. Jeremy Roy (17)
15. Kyle Connor (13)
16. Travis Konecny (14)
17. Colin White (22)
18. Evgeni Svechnikov (18)
19. Timo Meier (15)
20. Anthony Beauviller (21)
21. Brandon Carlo (25)
22. Jakub Zboril (23)
23. Paul Bittner (27)
24. ?
25. Brock Boeser (26)
26. Daniel Sprong (24)
27. Jeremy Bracco (29)
28. Jansen Harkins (19)
29. ?
30. Thomas Chabot (20)
31. ?
32. ?
33. ?
34. ?
35. Jake DeBrusk (28)
36. ?
37. Filip Chlapik (30)

Just in case someone didn't know who I was talking about it was Colin White

My highest ranked player still available is a player bore in Europe who does not play in Europe right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad