Waived: Darroll Powe, Arron Asham (7/5: Both Clear)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If someone wants them they will be claimed, don't see that happening with Powe, rumors are floating around there seems to be some interest in Asham. When they both survive waivers they will be waived again to start the season and then be sent down to the Pack at that point. Doubt there will be any takers for these two in a trade during a summer as each time is trying to open up cap space, maybe they could be dealt at the start or during the season when injuries happen.

It is actually easier for teams to trade for a player like this then to just claim them on waivers. Teams have only a certain number of contracts they can give out.

Janerixon

Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
It is actually easier for teams to trade for a player like this then to just claim them on waivers. Teams have only a certain number of contracts they can give out.

The Rangers just traded Ferriero for Falk only because they had to shed a contract to get Falk, but today is the start of free agency and they are trying to open room to sign a player or two, not add other contracts otherwise these two would not have been waived. If they could have gotten any pick for either of them they would have taken it, obviously after 3 days in a row with minor trades there was no deal to be had so they waived them hoping someone will bite. No one is trading for either of these guys now.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Begs the question why the Rangers almost always seem to have the max 50 contracts... can't Sather just stay pat at 48 or so and always 1 or 2 spare spots if the opportunity knocks?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Playing a line of 25-26 year olds, is not nearly the same thing as a line of 20 year olds. So no. It's not the same thing at all.

But either way, how can Miller prove he is a good player in the NHL when he doesn't get to play because everyone wants a 33 year old goon to play instead of him?

Chicago will run with young guys and there players develop faster, no doubt about it

I'm with you 100%

stop bringing in guys that we find reason to move the following season for more guys we are going to move in subsequent seasons.

Let the kids come in and play 4th line minutes.

Bring in the Lindbergs, Fast's, Miller's, Hrivik's

Let them play, let them hurt the team and finally, let them grow into EVERYDAY NHL'ers and learn how to HELP the team.

I don't want Maxim, Asham, Powe, Moore, Pyatt, Hendricks.

Guys that have NO HOPE of getting better or of being part of what makes this team successful.

A great man once said:

Old players get older, young players get better

Time to let our youngsters show what they have. Especially when you consider they are going to be getting less than 10 minutes a night.

the older vets on the 3rd/4th line are NOT going to keep us in games early until Hags and Cally are back.

We talk about how much we like our system, but lets put our money where our mouth is and play them....warts and all.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Begs the question why the Rangers almost always seem to have the max 50 contracts... can't Sather just stay pat at 48 or so and always 1 or 2 spare spots if the opportunity knocks?

We have open spots now. We didn't tender Sauer, Palmieri and Niemi, so that's three right there. By my count we're at 45 contracts now that free agency has started and a few came off the books.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We have open spots now. We didn't tender Sauer, Palmieri and Niemi, so that's three right there. By my count we're at 45 contracts now that free agency has started and a few came off the books.

If they re-sign Stepan, McDonagh, Zuccarello, Falk, Hagelin and Mashinter they are at 45. One would assume a couple of young players will get spots to play in the NHL.

This is why it is paramount they are able to move Powe or Asham with no contracts coming back.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If they re-sign Stepan, McDonagh, Zuccarello, Falk, Hagelin and Mashinter they are at 45. One would assume a couple of young players will get spots to play in the NHL.

This is why it is paramount they are able to move Powe or Asham with no contracts coming back.

Right, I was figuring in that we'd re-sign those guys you mentioned. We'll have some spots.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm with you 100%

stop bringing in guys that we find reason to move the following season for more guys we are going to move in subsequent seasons.

Let the kids come in and play 4th line minutes.

Bring in the Lindbergs, Fast's, Miller's, Hrivik's

We talk about how much we like our system, but lets put our money where our mouth is and play them....warts and all.

Agree but let's be fair prior to this offseason it wasn't an option. I don't believe we marinated any capable prospects in AHL in the recent past.

Apr 10, 2012
surprised and pretty happy both of these guys cleared. powe was good at what he did, and asham was great in a bottom 6 role when healthy.

guess it sucks that we didn't clear up any roster w/ this though

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
@tawnos
While you say players need to earn there playing time, you have admit that it doesn't help a players development playing with 4th line players when they are clearly better than that.

For one thing, there is no one way to do this. Some players would benefit starting out on the 4th line.

For another, a player who hasn't earned 3rd line ice time isn't "clearly better" than a 4th line player.

Mr Atoz*

We aren't.

Who's we? Powe didn't score one goal this year and Asham's way over the hill. Yes, Powe can kill penalties but do you want to waste a roster spot on that? And Asham looked pretty sad fighting anyone bigger than him.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Who's we? Powe didn't score one goal this year and Asham's way over the hill. Yes, Powe can kill penalties but do you want to waste a roster spot on that? And Asham looked pretty sad fighting anyone bigger than him.

he meant that we aren't rid of them since no one claimed them

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

He's saying we aren't rid of them, not that he's glad they're still around.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
For one thing, there is no one way to do this. Some players would benefit starting out on the 4th line.

For another, a player who hasn't earned 3rd line ice time isn't "clearly better" than a 4th line player.

I guess the point that I was trying to make was that a player like Kreider will not develope playing with a 4th line center. Playing on a checking line where he is obviously an offensive player will stunt his development. If that means leaving him in the AHL then so be it. You don't develope offensive players by putting them in defensive role and so forth. Just my opinion, I might be wrong.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i would like the rangers to keep asham around if they have room. he seems like a net-positive. powe, less-so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad