Waived: Darroll Powe, Arron Asham (7/5: Both Clear)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I liked Asham and I think he should have even got PP time with his underrated shot but the truth is, they need guys with more skill and higher upside plus that little extra cap wiggle room.

Powe is an ok 13th forward but he seems to have lost any offense he once had with the Flyers.

Pyatt might play better under AV. We'll see. I still say trade him but he's most likely here to stay.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
you want a forward to handle the heavy gooning. it hurts too much to lose a dman for 5-10 minutes at a time. early on he'll need to fight to prove himself but he'll need to learn to pick his spots too...beukeboom was great at that. he wouldn't fight often but then would annihilate a guy just as a reminder to people what he could do...

but that 'proving himself' phase is the biggest reason the rangers are concerned about making sure his knee is back to 100%. they know he is going to have to fight grown men in the nhl and don't want to risk him getting hurt if his knee isn't ready

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Maybe the thinking is while they won't have a true resident tough guy, Ulf with get the team to collectively be tougher and watch each others' backs.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I rather watch our own players crap the bed than dealing with old washed up free agent signings play terribly.

Boyle is an excellent fourth liner. Good third liner, in my opinion. He'll do the job well. Dorsett is excellent for energy and grit, same with Boyle.

I dunno that coud hurt prospect development in some cases. In the end I'd rather the team pulls in a guy who actually works rather than have our prospects crap up the joint. I'd love it if our prospects earn the spot though that's for sure!

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Dorsett and Boyle both belong on the 4th line imo, both should be 2.of the 6 bottom fixtures also Brass or Richards whichever plays worse in camp/pre season. Leaves 3 more spots open.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
inconsequential.

want to play a more aggressive offensive game? Snails like Asham arent going to cut it.

Pyatt should be moved too imho.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I want to see McIlrath up this year. I think he'll handle himself just fine against anyone in the NHL right now. Let him learn by experiencing both the game and the rough stuff at the NHL level. Kids a beast!

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Like Jim Gordon said about Barry Beck, Mcilrath is a "Destroyer Of Men." Asham came to play in the playoffs and I admire that but it is time to acquire another 4th line bum. Darrel Powe anybody with zero points deserves zero pay.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
What's the point of waiving them if they are not being bought out? They will still fully count on the cap for the off-season, if I'm not mistaken. The Rangers are probably just hoping someone claims them, right?

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What's the point of waiving them if they are not being bought out? They will still fully count on the cap for the off-season, if I'm not mistaken. The Rangers are probably just hoping someone claims them, right?

yeah it was to see if anyone would claim them

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers yesterday placed Darroll Powe ($1.067 million cap hit) and Arron Asham ($1 million) on waivers. Unless claimed (extremely unlikely), this will have no impact on the club’s cap space for the summer. If they are sent to the AHL Wolf Pack at the start of the season, Powe’s cap charge will become $142,000 while Asham’s will be $75,000.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rang...EQ4rDdibkN?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Rangers

Powe and Asham will require waivers in October to be sent to the AHL if they are still part of the team at that point.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Stop coaching Pat,Zipay and Gross have no idea how the cap works. They cover a team in the biggest media market in the world and have no clue.

Despite having little salary-cap maneuverability, the Rangers perhaps signaled they will try to make some depth moves once the free-agent market opens today by placing two forwards on waivers.

Arron Asham, 35, and Darroll Powe, 28, were put on regular waivers Thursday. If they clear by today at noon, the Rangers will be able to reassign them to Hartford (AHL).

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/2...Asham__Darroll_Powe.html#sthash.rVty43uN.dpuf

All one way contracts count in the summer cap and there is no AHL in July.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rang...EQ4rDdibkN?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Rangers

Powe and Asham will require waivers in October to be sent to the AHL if they are still part of the team at that point.

Could see a team picking them up at that point when the rosters are set and teams have a better idea of what their payroll/cap for the upcoming season will be. Asham/Powe, while extremely mediocre, still can be effective in a certain role. They're just kind of redundant here.

Stop coaching Pat,Zipay and Gross have no idea how the cap works. They cover a team in the biggest media market in the world and have no clue.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/2...Asham__Darroll_Powe.html#sthash.rVty43uN.dpuf

All one way contracts count in the summer cap and there is no AHL in July.

Pretty pathetic that these people get paid to write this crap while most of the posters here could cover the team more accurately in their sleep (of course excluding Bob Richards).

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
@tawnos
While you say players need to earn there playing time, you have admit that it doesn't help a players development playing with 4th line players when they are clearly better than that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
inconsequential.

want to play a more aggressive offensive game? Snails like Asham arent going to cut it.

Pyatt could be effective on the forth line. He also could be a utility forward to move to higher lines in case of injury. Finally he could be the 13th forward if both of our Swedes, Miller and maybe Kristo show to be good enough to play with the big club.

SupersonicMonkey*

inconsequential.

Agree! Very happy to see Asham and Powe go. Cutting dead weight. Pyatt should go, too. Agree.

Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, Miller. Skill and speed in the bottom six.

Sign Moore for 1 year, move Boyle.

SupersonicMonkey*

Pyatt could be effective on the forth line. He also could be a utility forward to move to higher lines in case of injury. Finally he could be the 13th forward if both of our Swedes, Miller and maybe Kristo show to be good enough to play with the big club.

That would be fine as long as he isn't blocking anyone from earning spots in the lineup.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Waivers begin 12 days before the start of the NHL season and end the day following the last game of the club's playing season. That is playing season waiver period. The cap goes up by 10% starting today at noon until the last day of training camp. Asham and Powe will count against the cap if they are not claimed on waivers at noon today. $70.73M summer cap. The Rangers can't shed their cap hits until October. $925,000. $75,000 cap hit for Asham. $141,667 cap hit for Powe. Rangers save $1.85M. The Rangers should be able to find teams for them.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
As some posters before have mentioned, cutting dead weight... Although I am sure Powe is good guy etc. bla bla bla, i hated every second he was on the ice, what a waste, blocking someone else from a roster spot.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Darroll Powe made Blair Betts look like Wayne Gretzky.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
My guess? The Rangers have offers of AHL level players or dead weight coming back so they waived them hoping to clear the (2) contract spots, as opposed to bringing in (2) more contracts. If they go unclaimed, I am betting they are dealt for next to nothing.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
An octopus on the ice in Detroit was more useful than Pyatt on the ice in New York.

Janerixon

Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
My guess? The Rangers have offers of AHL level players or dead weight coming back so they waived them hoping to clear the (2) contract spots, as opposed to bringing in (2) more contracts. If they go unclaimed, I am betting they are dealt for next to nothing.

If someone wants them they will be claimed, don't see that happening with Powe, rumors are floating around there seems to be some interest in Asham. When they both survive waivers they will be waived again to start the season and then be sent down to the Pack at that point. Doubt there will be any takers for these two in a trade during a summer as each time is trying to open up cap space, maybe they could be dealt at the start or during the season when injuries happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad