Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Excellent post. There is no exact formula. Doughty (and now Ekblad) played a top pairing role immediately out of the draft. Pietrangelo took 2 years of junior, but never played AHL.

I remember as a kid it was the Montreal Canadians RULE that everyone had to play a season in the minors... I think the Red Wings have been successful at playing guys down too, the luxury of organizational depth i guess... tough to impose a rule like MAKING guys spend time in the minors when you have a McDavid walking in.

The way Nurse dominated the WJC and the playoffs this season, i wouldnt be shocked at all to see him dominate preseason and make keeping him a no-brainer...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I absolutely expect Nurse to be better than some of the Oilers top 6 D in training camp. He's just too good not to be.

That being said, I'd still prefer he start the season in the AHL for 30 games or so playing big minutes in all situations. Ideally with Reinhart as his partner. Let them grow together as a pairing.

Injuries will happen and I expect Nurse will get his chances in Edmonton next season. I think Nurse in 2016/17 and beyond will be better if he learns in the pros in the AHL this season. At least for part of it.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Injuries always happen, Nurse will be first call up if he doesn't make the team right out of camp.

Agree. Whether he makes the team or not out of camp doesn't really matter to me in the least. He'll get his games in this year due to injury, whether he is in the AHL to start off or not

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Klefbom >>>> Reinhart now and I have a hard time seeing Reinhart ever being better than klef.

In 2/3 years Reinhart >> Klefbom, I really like Klefbom but some of you overrate him so crazy it's hilarious. I see Reinhart as a #2 D-man and Klefbom as a #4 D-man at best #3.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If Nurse is ready he should make the team , but only if he is top 4 ready . We always have 9 games to see . If he looks lost or can not handle it we send him down to the AHL . The Ahl is best unless he at least playing top 4 in Edmonton other wise he is not getting enough ice time to improve

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
If Nurse is ready he should make the team , but only if he is top 4 ready . We always have 9 games to see . If he looks lost or can not handle it we send him down to the AHL . The Ahl is best unless he at least playing top 4 in Edmonton other wise he is not getting enough ice time to improve

He has more than 9 games. He'll start his ELC next season. Just under 39 games or whatever it is for RFA status.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
In 2/3 years Reinhart >> Klefbom, I really like Klefbom but some of you overrate him so crazy it's hilarious. I see Reinhart as a #2 D-man and Klefbom as a #4 D-man at best #3.
I see it kinda swapped. Klef I think will be on the same level as Sekera. Top tier #3/Decent 2

Reinhart I think will be a #3 but someone who will make a great pairing with Nurse.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

How soon people forget that Klefbom at 21 was a top pairing defenceman albeit on a horrible team. This is with losing a development year to injury.

Klef's the real deal. I see all three of him, Nurse, and Reinhart as having top pair potential, with Nurse the highest probability of hitting it.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
How soon people forget that Klefbom at 21 was a top pairing defenceman albeit on a horrible team. This is with losing a development year to injury.

Klef's the real deal. I see all three of him, Nurse, and Reinhart as having top pair potential, with Nurse the highest probability of hitting it.

Nurse has the potential to be a legit #1.
Offence and defence.

Klefbom has the potential to be a #2. Just as good defence as nurse (maybe even better) but without the above average offence to be a #1.

Reinhart may be the best of the bunch defensively, but the worst of the bunch offensively.
He is a 3/4 max.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Klefbom is insanely over rated on this board.

I think both Klefbom and Reinhart having relatively equal chances to be #2s.

Klefbom struggles because of his lack of hockey Iq defensively. Reinhart is a bit slow and offensively challenged.

Neither of these guys are likely to hit thier potential any time soon. Thier weaknesses are too big and require experience and a lot of work.

I still like Marincin the best of all these prospects. His weaknesses are the easiest to fix.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nurse has the potential to be a legit #1.
Offence and defence.

Klefbom has the potential to be a #2. Just as good defence as nurse (maybe even better) but without the above average offence to be a #1.

Reinhart may be the best of the bunch defensively, but the worst of the bunch offensively.
He is a 3/4 max.

From what ive seen Nurse should all but certainly end up a rock solid #3. But his offense currently is no where near a #1 and may well never be.

Our best chance for a #1 tho.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's weird. We have four guys with top pairing potential/ability now. Nurse, sekera, and Klefbom for sure. And then an outside shot with Reinhart. One of them is going to have to learn to play the right side.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's weird. We have four guys with top pairing potential/ability now. Nurse, sekera, and Klefbom for sure. And then an outside shot with Reinhart. One of them is going to have to learn to play the right side.

Apparently Sekera already can.

The more I hear about this guy the more I like this signing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Apparently Sekera already can.

The more I hear about this guy the more I like this signing.

To me it sounds like a Vishnovsky situation where he is sold as playing both sides, but it would be best for him to put him on the left. They also seem like similar players too.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Nurse will be a regular by Christmas.

If he somehow doesn't make the opening night roster, injuries will come as always and he wont be sent down after that. Much like Klefbom last year.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
My (hopeful) future projections for Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhart are:

Nurse = Seabrook
Klefbom = Hjalmarsson
Reinhart = Alzner

I don't think any of them will be that elite #1 defence we've been hoping for, but hopefully they will all end up being good 1st pairing defencemen.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Klefbom struggles because of his lack of hockey Iq defensively. Reinhart is a bit slow and offensively challenged.

Neither of these guys are likely to hit thier potential any time soon. Thier weaknesses are too big and require experience and a lot of work.

I still like Marincin the best of all these prospects. His weaknesses are the easiest to fix.

Klefbom is insanely overrated? Really?

You are saying he has a decent shot at becoming a no. 2, correct? Obviously for you that means that this would be a level headed assessment. You really need to define what insanely overrated means, and then define what "on this board" means. If that is one post every 1000 saying he's the new Doughty, then I guess you would be right but I'd argue that you definition of those words is wrong.

I know it is for no good since I have asked you the same question so many times now, but who is insanely overrating him? I think 99% of posters here have the exact same take on him as you do with respect to the part that he can become a #2. Even then, you keep on hitting at maybe 1% of the posters who on occasion exaggerate.

Really, for a guy who albeit playing on a bad team just came off a season where he knocked on top 40 in EV points, top 20 in EV TOI/G and the only rookie to play big minutes on PK. The only one close in EV and PK time amongst rookie D was Severson. Does he make misstakes, of course. All rookies do, but most have an experienced partner to clean up after them when they mess up, Severson had Green, Ekblad had Campbell, Klingberg had Goligosky. In the last couple of years Lindholm had Beauchemin, Brodin had Suter, and so on. Klefbom had Schultz... I wonder at times what the take on him would have been if he had played out the season with Fayne.

Based on that I would even say that expectations on him are very tempered to be honest. I also fall in the category of thinking of him as decent #2 by the way.

I am guessing he'll fall a bit as almost all sophomore D's do, and you'll probably be there to comment on it. I'd still argue that he is a decent #4 already (which was what the poster you replied to though he would be for his career, at best a #3).

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I'm glad that management disagreed with you because IMO we moved out the right guy.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

How so?

My impression of Marincin was that his problems were a lack of drive and difficulty adding muscle. Those aren't easy to fix.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
There is a difference between handing a rookie a role he didn't earn and isn't ready for, and giving him a role because he proved he deserves it.

I want Nurse to play wherever he belongs, if that turns out to be Edmonton, then so be it.

I agree with this. I am not a coach so it's not up to me but if they think he is ready and he proves it on the ice bring him up. If he is not ready or still needs some work send him to the AHL.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He was our best defenceman at training camp last year. I think people are underrating him. He is a better player than Klefbom is currently.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He was our best defenceman at training camp last year. I think people are underrating him. He is a better player than Klefbom is currently.

Probably, but I don't blame anyone or myself for it. There have been so many disappointments lately.

Seeing where he is in his development and considering what we have already seen I would not be surprised if he broke right into the lineup and stayed there.

I won't give an opinion on who is better among between Klefbom and Nurse. One is 20, the other is 21, anyone of them could take a big step in his develpment fairly quickly. Things can change really fast once we're a month or two into the season.

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton

I've got some bad news for you, bro.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I disagree, Klefbom's skating and ability to move the puck is far superior already, and they're both around the same age. I see Reinhart's ceiling as a #3 and Klefbom has the potential to be a top pairing guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad