Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

I believe things are being run correctly now, if he earns a spot he earns a spot. No doubt he can play as a #6 or 7 but there is no real benefit in that for a young defender like him. If thats all he will be playing then he is better off in the AHL. Same goes for reinhart but i feel he will take that incredibly hard judging by the interview of him and his father..

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
NHL is not a developmental league, that's why the AHL is there.

There is absolutely no downside long term of letting him play the season/part of the season in Bakersfield. He needs to improve his decision making and shot a little bit. When he is ready though he will be a monster. Let's not destroy that by rushing him and damaging his confidence.

This^^^^^. In my opinion, we've already slowed or stunted the development of some of our other top picks by throwing them to the wolves at the NHL level with no veteran support.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Let's look at the locks shall we?
1. Sekera
2. Klefbom
3. Fayne
4. Schultz
5. Ference (Captain is a lock)

Now the remaining competition is for spots 6 and 7
I think Gryba will have one of those spots (probably 7) so that leaves one more spot open for Nurse, Reinhart, and Nikitin. Nikitin will probably get bought out so it's between Nurse and Reinhart. Reinhart is more of a project so Nurse should get that final spot (I think he's further along in development)

Empros*

1. Sekera
2. Klefbom
3. Fayne
4. Schultz

I think Gryba will have one of those spots (probably 7) so that leaves one more spot open for Nurse, Reinhart, and Nikitin. Nikitin will probably get bought out so it's between Nurse and Reinhart. Reinhart is more of a project so Nurse should get that final spot (I think he's further along in development)

Not 100% sure of this but I think we can only buyout Nikitan if one of our RFA's file for arbitration. Strange rule.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I don't think he can play 20-25 minutes a night in the NHL for 82 games. If he makes the team he's playing much less. While that's still not a bad thing, I'd rather him go to the AHL and get guaranteed top line minutes against pros. Come back in a year and see where you're at then. :yo:

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
1. Sekera
2. Klefbom
3. Fayne
4. Schultz

i see klef and sekera as locks... after that i dont see any locks, right now Nurse is probably the third best dman we have but it might be best to let him dominate in the ahl for a few months...

all i know is that Nurse is going to be a beast and probably the one awesome thing MacT will be able to take full credit for on this team as the team progresses

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Pretty distasteful to not even give a kid a chance to prove himself before you throw him under the bus.

I'm not throwing him under the bus, and having an opinion that one player > another player isn't distasteful whatsoever. Please, I know it's unpopular to have opinions on these boards, but don't try and attempt to shine me under a false light as if I'm the first one to say what he thinks.

Considering their draft pedigree and accomplishments up until their first real NHL season, I don't understand why it's held in such derision to believe that Nurse, even at this point, should be ahead of Reinhart in the depth chart. They should be held in a pretty equal or level regard, but I have confidence in Nurse's ability.

Again, not distasteful. Especially in a Darnell Nurse thread.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Nurse needs to hone in that slapped, that is the number one skill he needs to work on.

His defending looks nhl ready, the rushes that he we be elite at will develop in any league but his slap
shot from the blue line and one timer should be his main focus these next few months.

It's already hard enough, now he just needs to make it a real threat and he's a legit top 4 D man.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Injuries always happen, Nurse will be first call up if he doesn't make the team right out of camp.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I'm not throwing him under the bus, and having an opinion that one player > another player isn't distasteful whatsoever. Please, I know it's unpopular to have opinions on these boards, but don't try and attempt to shine me under a false light as if I'm the first one to say what he thinks.

Considering their draft pedigree and accomplishments up until their first real NHL season, I don't understand why it's held in such derision to believe that Nurse, even at this point, should be ahead of Reinhart in the depth chart. They should be held in a pretty equal or level regard, but I have confidence in Nurse's ability.

Again, not distasteful. Especially in a Darnell Nurse thread.

Saying darnell nurse is better then Reinhart is an opinion. Saying he is >>>>>>>>>> is a slap in the face to Reinhart and then on top of it you say you don't even need to see him play. Development isn't a straight line and acting like you know for sure is arrogant as you pointed out.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Saying darnell nurse is better then Reinhart is an opinion. Saying he is >>>>>>>>>> is a slap in the face to Reinhart and then on top of it you say you don't even need to see him play. Development isn't a straight line and acting like you know for sure is arrogant as you pointed out.

I think you're just not a fan of personal beliefs, which coincide with opinionated belief.

I believe that Nurse is better than Reinhart and if either of them are forced into the line-up, Nurse should be the first call up (with this considering that both start in the AHL).

You can take that to any extent (ie. >>>>>>>) you choose to, which is fine by me. I don't need to see Reinhart's training camp, due to having and knowing my own personal beliefs, because I'm confident in Nurse's ability to strengthen my opinion.

I don't understand why you have an issue with it. "To each his own," right?

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I think you're just not a fan of personal beliefs, which coincide with opinionated belief.

I believe that Nurse is better than Reinhart and if either of them are forced into the line-up, Nurse should be the first call up (with this considering that both start in the AHL).

You can take that to any extent (ie. >>>>>>>) you choose to, which is fine by me. I don't need to see Reinhart's training camp, due to having and knowing my own personal beliefs, because I'm confident in Nurse's ability to strengthen my opinion.

I don't understand why you have an issue with it. "To each his own," right?

No I'm not a fan of statements like "I know..." especially when it comes to sports. Whether or not I agree with you're belief at least that's what you called it this time rather than a statement of fact that Nurse is and will continue to be better then Reinhart which you have zero ability to say for certain.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I'm a massive Nurse fan, and I think even if he out-performs Nikitin and Ference, which I'd be shocked if he doesn't, it's still better for his development to play 25-28 minutes in Bakersfield, living in the gym, than 12-14 minutes up here, living in hotels. At least to start the season.

(Because, thanks to the new West coast division, there's wayyyyyyy less travel time for developing players, who have a ton more time in the gym with trainers than they would on our roster)

I would LOVE to see Chia move out Nikitin's albatross of a contract, but I highly doubt he can without also moving one of the key forwards a ton of people get really upset about even the thought of losing.

I think Nurse and Reinhart should BOTH go to Bakersfield to start the season. Make them a D pairing, dominating opposition for 28 minutes a night. Develop a synergy/bond as a pairing.

Our defense will be bad for another year...oh well.

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Gryba
Ference - Schultz

Nikitin getting paid $4.5M to sip lemonade upstairs

Halfway through the season/after the deadline, change to:

Klefbom - Sekera
Nurse - Fayne
Reinhart - Gryba

Ference/Schultz

And go from there. In a couple seasons, the top 4 of:

Klefbom - Sekera
Nurse - Reinhart

Would be pretty damn good. Switch Nurse for Klefbom in that prediction if you like. I'm high on all four of those guys. Every D we have aside from them is "filler for now".

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
NHL is not a developmental league, that's why the AHL is there.

There is absolutely no downside long term of letting him play the season/part of the season in Bakersfield. He needs to improve his decision making and shot a little bit. When he is ready though he will be a monster. Let's not destroy that by rushing him and damaging his confidence.

They have a ton of D right now and they can bring him up after 20 games if they want. No downside to letting him make his first pro mistakes in the AHL. If he is one of the top 3 in camp I can't see him going anywhere but they have a couple of vets that they need to see if can play well enough to help the club (or show enough value to trade). Definitely don't think he needs to be up if its only to play on the third pairing.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
What does Nurse weigh nowadays? I'm pretty excited to see what he's going to be like when he grows into his frame.

When we drafted him he had a pencil neck. Watching his interview today he has a tree trunk! Im sure physically he is ready for NHL.

Cant wait for camp

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Even if he starts the year in the AHL, I don't see any way he plays more than half the season there. We aren't talking about a player who was just drafted last month. This is now his 3rd post-draft season, and he has had some pro experience, plus was a beast internationally at the WJCs. It's pretty rare for top players to spend much time in the AHL as well. Nurse is certainly a blue-chipper and easily among our best defensemen already. The NHL isn't a developmental league, but development doesn't start only once you turn pro either.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Right now I would say Reinhart and Nurse are worth about the same. It's hard to directly compare them because they play very different styles. Nurse can skate very well, he's got exceptional puck skills and he he's a heavy hitter. Reinhart excels in controlling the pace of a game, plays more responsibly than Nurse, and he is pretty average in other respects

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Was Sean Monahan a fully formed NHLer with no room for improvement when he went through his rookie year? Obviously not, but the Flames kept him up anyway. And looking at him now, he doesn't look like it damaged him any.

Prospect development is not a one size fits all venture...and the question shouldn't always be "what has the least downside?", rather "what will maximize his potential?"

I say let camp decide where Nurse starts the year. If it is the AHL, fine. I just don't want it to be the default answer regardless of merit.

Excellent post. There is no exact formula. Doughty (and now Ekblad) played a top pairing role immediately out of the draft. Pietrangelo took 2 years of junior, but never played AHL.

Putting Nurse in the minors despite playing well enough to make the team would be a very MacT thing to do. I think he will be our 3/4th best D man when the dust settles on camp. That better mean he's on the opening day roster.

I see our top 4 shaping up like this:

Sekera-Klefbom
Nurse-Fayne

With Ference/Schultz/Gryba battling for 3rd pairing minutes.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
No I'm not a fan of statements like "I know..." especially when it comes to sports. Whether or not I agree with you're belief at least that's what you called it this time rather than a statement of fact that Nurse is and will continue to be better then Reinhart which you have zero ability to say for certain.

Read everything I wrote. Other than stating that that Nurse is better than Reinhart and much more likely to succeed which was meant to come off as a personal suggestion, I've deliberately stayed away from stating things as general knowledge.

It's all been personal opinion and not fact.

You just need to relax, man. People, especially on an internet forum, are always going to state their opinions. You can argue them, but don't create false narratives. Again, I'm not being distasteful towards Reinhart to say that I believe Nurse is better.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm not sure what people are seeing after watching Nurse play last year to write him off before training camp.

He put on the best defensive clinic I've ever seen at the WJC. He was unbeatable.

He was geat throughout his last year of Junior. He was doing it all for SSM.
His offensive numbers seemed to stagnate once DeAngelo came into the fold is the only knock I can think of. His defensive game was close to perfect.

I'm not going to pigeon hole a player after ending what was a clearly a fantastic year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad