Darling

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
But when has an established starter who was a clear upgrade on Ward been available either on the free agency market or for a price we'd be willing or able to pay? Look at the list of guys available in free agency last year and it looks a little underwhelming.

You’re right about last year....but Shirley there’s been one or two that have popped up here and there throughout the years. Eventually, you have to change your strategy if the same strategy keeps backfiring. I think?

Because first it was because the goalie sucked. Then it was Marcoux’s fault. Now it’s back to the goalie sucking. I don’t really disagree with any of those assessments....just the way the goalies have been chosen.

Perhaps with Dundon now heading the ship, there will be more to choose from.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If we kill him, does that void the rest of his contract?
I think death does terminate it, yes. The SPC text in Exhibit 1 of the CBA says that "if the Player is not in the employ of the Club for the whole period of the Club's NHL Regular Season Games, then he shall receive only part of such Paragraph 1 Salary in the ratio of the number of days of actual employment to the number of days of the NHL Regular Season."

If he's dead I believe he's not in the employ.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
What we're trying to "overanalyze", Kev, is why we've seen three straight backup goalies come to Carolina and watched their save percentages all drop 20 points under their career SV%, even as Cam manages to stay miraculously at .910 or so. And here are the possible answers:

1. Small sample sizes reverting (repeatedly) to the mean.
2. Something in the Canes style of play is better for Cam and worse for literally everyone else.
3. Something in the Canes style of play is bad for all goalies, and Cam is way better than we realize.

After years of this, I am actually starting to lean towards 3. I wonder if Cam is a career .925 goalie stuck behind a legendarily terrible team.

I think it's clearly 1. There's no guarantee that a backup -- even a backup with lights-out stats -- will succeed as a starter. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet (without doing any actual research) that most backups fail in the starter's role, but the ones who succeed (Talbot, Jones, Schneider) are bigger stories, so more people remember.

Plus, trading away great goalies is bad asset management. If the Blackhawks thought Darling had the goods to be a top-15 starter in the league, they wouldn't have traded him for a third-rounder, even if they were in a bit of a goalie pickle. Teams are going to find a way to keep the more talented guy. The Lightning found a way to keep Vasilevskiy, for instance. Lundqvist has survived about 10 solid backups, some of whom have had success elsewhere, some of whom didn't.

So at the end of the day, I'm not sure if backup diving is a great plan. It sure doesn't seem so after the past 12 seasons, since the last time we actually developed our own goalie. We're going to either have to develop another one, or pay up to acquire a top guy in trade. Another game of backup roulette won't sit well with anyone.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I kind of thought the Canes might have worked a deal through Vegas to get Grubauer through the expansion draft, but RF got Darling instead

Not sure if that sucks for us or not TBH. I'm not sure if Darling can turn it around or not. Something tells me we told him to play a certain way and it put him off of his game.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
DUzcB9dXkAA-6Ky.jpg:large

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I haven't followed all these goalies closely, but I'm a bit surprised to see that Bishop isn't much better than Ward (less than a % point). And that Jones and Talbot (who have been praised as good goalie pick-ups the last couple of years) are no better. Granted, they are all better than Darling, which is no surprise, but I really thought those guys were having better seasons.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I haven't followed all these goalies closely, but I'm a bit surprised to see that Bishop isn't much better than Ward (less than a % point). And that Jones and Talbot (who have been praised as good goalie pick-ups the last couple of years) are no better. Granted, they are all better than Darling, which is no surprise, but I really thought those guys were having better seasons.

Talbots hasn’t been praised this year. He’s been pretty damn bad. Lots of people thinking they overworked him previously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad