Darling

airlouche

Jan 24, 2008
Laval
It seemed like a nice signature last summer, he had good stats with the Hawks. What's the problem with him?

mikepirone

Dec 10, 2017
Canes new backup goalie.

Attachments

• CACEA24C-821A-4F4E-83A7-37E5CBD2DF66.jpeg
    CACEA24C-821A-4F4E-83A7-37E5CBD2DF66.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 15

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It seemed like a nice signature last summer, he had good stats with the Hawks. What's the problem with him?
Zero confidence, worst 5 hole coverage I've seen outside of C level beer league hockey, terrible handling the puck, and Buckner vs Mets level of covering the puck and general glove play in general.

Frankly would try to acquire Raanta from Arizona and either see if we can get them to take on Darling or if that would require too much, simply buy him out this summer.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Zero confidence, worst 5 hole coverage I've seen outside of C level beer league hockey, terrible handling the puck, and Buckner vs Mets level of covering the puck and general glove play in general.

Frankly would try to acquire Raanta from Arizona and either see if we can get them to take on Darling or if that would require too much, simply buy him out this summer.
I hate that I had to like this but it speaks of Truthiness.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The last time we had a contract this bad we lucked out by dumping Kaberle back to Montreal. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get anyone to take this one off our hands.

Might just have to eat the cap hit this time. Darling is horrendous, and we can't afford to keep dressing him if he keeps playing this bad.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The last time we had a contract this bad we lucked out by dumping Kaberle back to Montreal. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get anyone to take this one off our hands.

Might just have to eat the cap hit this time. Darling is horrendous, and we can't afford to keep dressing him if he keeps playing this bad.
You know what the sad thing is, with Darling I'd be willing to eat the 50% to send him to Arizona for the next 3 years to avoid a buyout... seriously.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I didn't think Darling was going to be this big of a disaster. But I remember years back talking about teams making goalies, and if you want to see what playing for Chicago can do, check out one of Ray Emery's seasons there.

17-1-0, .922. 1.94, 3 SO

An unfortunate pickle they've put themselves in with Scotty.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
IF Dundon increases our spending to that of a mid to high level spending team, what’s the problem with buying him out? I completely agree with the thinking as a cap floor team as it’s money being spent on a player not on the team but we MAY have wiggle room now. Are we concerned about the looming increases across the board of our RFAs, Skinner, Faulk, etc who will need that money? I haven’t sat down to look into it so I’d be interested in what the consensus is

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Oh no doubt about it, we'd be giving up something nice to get a guy like Raanta anyway though. If we could do Darling + Goat for Raanta I'd do it in a second, the question is if Zona would.

I would be all over that. Gets us out of what turned out to be a horrible contract and gives us a pretty good goalie without a long term contract. We could see how he fits in our system before committing.

Wish we could have had a year with Darling before giving him a big deal but what can you do? I know a lot of people said it was too much money and term for a career backup but the goalie market is tough and you’ve generally got to pay to play. We as fans also have to have a certain level of trust in our GM. I don’t think anyone saw this coming.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it's still too early to call the clock on this one. you don't sign a guy to a 4 year contract then decide anything after 25 games. it feels like after everything he's been through that this huge leap in compensation and responsibility has overcome him. you can almost feel him overthinking out there. he needs to drop some weight and get on a sports psychologist couch and try to find some balance between too much and too little self-applied pressure. he seems like it's agonizing for him to be out there right now because he doesn't feel like he can stop anything. the mentality from going from backup to starter just kills some guys and even if they have the skills, they just can't maintain that level of focus over the duration of a season. hopefully that's not the case here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad