Danny Kristo

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If Kristo would have signed an ATO after his last college season, he wouldn't have accrued a professional season. But 9 AHL games under a SPC is enough.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
It's kind of too bad that Kristo burned a year of his ELC off playing in the AHL playoffs two seasons ago. Unless he shows real progress this coming season, he's going to have a hard time breaking into the NHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Haggerty is also in the mix. It's not going to be easy.

Its not going to be easy for sure.

I think Kristo panned out really well last season in the AHL, I mean he was basically the top goto offensive player on a AHL team next to Miller at least. DESPITE that, he didn't even get to dip his toes in the NHL.

And I think that is the challenge for a player in his mold, that we also should remember when we look down the road at Duclair and Buchnevich. You know, if a player who has more of a natrual 2-way grinding game becomes a top player in the AHL, he is almost without exception ready to play in the NHL. Like a Korpikoski, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan and so forth (is Greg Moore and exception?). Looking at Kristo, he is a top 2 line RW. Players on his line must give him the puck a lot for him to be successful. When he is put in that role, he is a good hockey player. To get that role in the NHL, you kinda gotta be better than a Nash/MSL/Zucc. Avg often isn't enough.

What is speaking in favor of Kristo is his right handed shot on the PP. It shouldn't be underrated. I doubt its enough, but its certainly something that will catch peoples attention when decisions is made.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Haggerty is also in the mix. It's not going to be easy.

The Haggerty love here at these boards seems misplaced to me.
We fall in love with the new guy, the flavor-of-the-month.

Haggerty has potential to be a solid NHL player, but IMHO it won't be this year, maybe not even next. That's ok, he's only 21.
He put up great stats as the go-to shooter for a talent-shallow, ~.500 team.
He's not especially fast or physical.

From his March 12 signing date, last spring he could've had ~5 weeks with HWP coaches/players, and played up to 16 games for Hartford on a ATO, by not activating his contract until this year (McCarthy signed with NYR 3/31, but signed an ATO w HWP on 4/1).

Anyway, I wont be surprised if the young wing prospect who gets a serious look ahead of Kristo, Haggerty, (Hayes) or McCarthy is Marek Hrivik.
It's been 2 years since he was the shiny new penny, but he's a year younger than Kristo. He has more of an NHL-ready body, a 2-way up-and-down the wing game, with some O-zone skill..
He just might grab the Pouliot spot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Its not going to be easy for sure.

I think Kristo panned out really well last season in the AHL, I mean he was basically the top goto offensive player on a AHL team next to Miller at least. DESPITE that, he didn't even get to dip his toes in the NHL.

And I think that is the challenge for a player in his mold, that we also should remember when we look down the road at Duclair and Buchnevich. You know, if a player who has more of a natrual 2-way grinding game becomes a top player in the AHL, he is almost without exception ready to play in the NHL. Like a Korpikoski, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan and so forth (is Greg Moore and exception?). Looking at Kristo, he is a top 2 line RW. Players on his line must give him the puck a lot for him to be successful. When he is put in that role, he is a good hockey player. To get that role in the NHL, you kinda gotta be better than a Nash/MSL/Zucc. Avg often isn't enough.

What is speaking in favor of Kristo is his right handed shot on the PP. It shouldn't be underrated. I doubt its enough, but its certainly something that will catch peoples attention when decisions is made.

Gorton nailed it on the head earlier in the summer. They try to find roles for guys where they can succeed. Kristo needs PP time. There weren't any spots there for him last year so he stayed down. Not a knock on him, although people take it that way.

The roles that opened up were 3rd line wing/PKer for Hagelin/Callahan and 3rd line center in Richards. That was pretty much it. Kristo doesn't fit there.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The Haggerty love here at these boards seems misplaced to me.
We fall in love with the new guy, the flavor-of-the-month.

Haggerty has potential to be a solid NHL player, but IMHO it won't be this year, maybe not even next. That's ok, he's only 21.
He put up great stats as the go-to shooter for a talent-shallow, ~.500 team.
He's not especially fast or physical.

From his March 12 signing date, last spring he could've had ~5 weeks with HWP coaches/players, and played up to 16 games for Hartford on a ATO, by not activating his contract until this year (McCarthy signed with NYR 3/31, but signed an ATO w HWP on 4/1).

Anyway, I wont be surprised if the young wing prospect who gets a serious look ahead of Kristo, Haggerty, (Hayes) or McCarthy is Marek Hrivik.
It's been 2 years since he was the shiny new penny, but he's a year younger than Kristo. He has more of an NHL-ready body, a 2-way up-and-down the wing game, with some O-zone skill..
He just might grab the Pouliot spot.

What Haggerty love? I haven't seen his name penciled into anyone's lineup. If anything, he's completely overlooked.

The fact is the Rangers wanted him badly enough to sign him to a NHL contract and burn a year off by having him stay with the Rangers. He's well known to the coaching staff. Not saying he's a lock to get a spot--he's going to have to earn it like the other prospects--but he's more familiar and has been learning the system from the NHL coaching staff.

There's a lot of prospects fighting for that one spot in the top 9. At least Haggerty got paid while a year was burned off his contract. Kristo is really going to have to impress to make the leap this year.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If Kristo makes this team (and personally rooting for him) then, we're really deep. Rooting for him because he IS at the cusp of make or break (at least on our team) we need a guy like him on our PP, hoping he's finally got it defensively. I think maybe last year did him good with Hartford and Rangers "system".

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
So Kristo will be a group 6 UFA after this season?

Makes me wonder if they move him without taking back a contract to open up a contract spot should J Moore be ready to sign?

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
So Kristo will be a group 6 UFA after this season?

Makes me wonder if they move him without taking back a contract to open up a contract spot should J Moore be ready to sign?

Really doubt he has much value, especially given his free agent status. Might as well hold onto him IMO

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Really doubt he has much value, especially given his free agent status. Might as well hold onto him IMO

Not saying he has much value, but if the Rangers feel he is likely to leave/walk next summer anyway, I wonder if he is moved prior.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not saying he has much value, but if the Rangers feel he is likely to leave/walk next summer anyway, I wonder if he is moved prior.

I think he means he really has no value. If he's not NHL ready this season at most, Kristo brings in a 7th rounder from a team looking to shore up theirAHL squad. Most likely, he can't even bring that.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think he means he really has no value. If he's not NHL ready this season at most, Kristo brings in a 7th rounder from a team looking to shore up theirAHL squad. Most likely, he can't even bring that.

Conditional 7th at best. My hopes are that he plays like he did the 1st month of last season before fizzling.

He has good offensive instincts, but it isn't good enough to outweigh the lack of 3 zone ability.

Championship*

His contract situation pretty much dictates that this is more than likely his last season as Ranger's property

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It would be rather funny if Kristo made the team out of camp and Hayes was sent down, which is not out of the realm of possibility at all.

While possible, I think the two fill very different roles. If Kristo somehow makes it I doubt it would be at the expense of Hayes, who is a different player all together.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
While possible, I think the two fill very different roles. If Kristo somehow makes it I doubt it would be at the expense of Hayes, who is a different player all together.

I don't think they go by style unless the two players are identical in ability. I think whoever is better will be the one to get the job. Fast, Kristo, Lindberg, Hayes, Bourque, Haggerty are all different players, and the one to get the job will be the one who is a better player.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Gainey.png

And they said I was an idiot when I traded Ryan McDonagh for Scott Gomez.

Good luck with Kristo yanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad