Danny Girardi vs Marc Staal

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Goals against especially in the SC playoffs aren't trivial like you're making them out to be. They are potentially the difference in moving on or going golfing. Singling out such plays are what NHL clubs and video teams do to try and win games.

Again, those were just off the top of my head.

Girardi wouldn't make those plays Staal made above but he'll do other things based on his individual weaknesses.

Everyone loves their justin williams video to **** on G, here's an unforced turnover by Staal that also directly cost the Rangers a playoff game, albeit not a SCF game.

I mean, Girardi was falling and trying to just fight another day...Staal had all the time in the world and just had a terrible brain fart.

Again, I think Staal makes dumber decisions than Girardi, but he can also make the better play at times than Girardi who usually just plays it safe all the time.

And again comes back to Girardi being more trustworthy is a sense. When either of these guys can play with partners who really dictate the play, like Stralman and McDonagh, Girardi is safer option. But if you need one of them to actually dictate the terms on their pairing, Staal would probably be better in that regard.

This is a bad example...

All of the forwards are out of the D zone. There's zero forward support, and since there are 3 offenders closing in on Staal, he now has two options: a) turn around and swing the puck around the boards, hoping Girardi gets there first (he won't, because an opposing defenseman is going to jump into the play and then he wont get the puck), or b) attempted to flip the puck up the near boards and out of the zone. The "safer" play (again, the play that your most favorite dman Girardi makes) is to send the puck up the boards like Staal did. He simply got burned.

why you suddenly think you have the "evidence" to say Girardi makes the "safer" plays compared to Staal is beyond me.

ANyways, back on topic. Staal is the better defenseman. hands down. Girardi is older, slower, slow to accelerate, lugs along the ice like a traffic cone, can't make a good first pass, can't stick handle the puck out of the zone, cannot lead a rush, doesn't have an accurate shot, and is very one dimensional.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Staal is better IMO but I'd also move him first because of organizational strength at each position.

The thing that's nice about Staal is that he still sometimes plays mean, and when he does that he's a lot more effective IMO. He's never going to be slick with the puck, he's just not that player. But if he can punish skaters and make them think twice about coming down his side, he's valuable in that. He still does it a bit, though not nearly as much as he used to.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Staal quits on plays. Girardi might make more mistakes but at least when he does, he'll bust his ass to recover. Staal has this "oh well" attitude after a turnover or after a guy beats him that I really don't appreciate.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Staal quits on plays. Girardi might make more mistakes but at least when he does, he'll bust his ass to recover. Staal has this "oh well" attitude after a turnover or after a guy beats him that I really don't appreciate.

Agree 100%. The most glaring example was that callahan lightning goal at the garden where he quit but could have salvaged the goal, but there have been other goals against where he flat out quit.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Neither of them is a PMD and they both give the puck way at times. I'll go with Girardi because he is much more physical and willing to take a beating than Staal. Blocks a ton more shots.

Girardi had a solid playoffs last season. Staal was mediocre to poor for the most part.

Girardi does mindlessly try to clear the puck at times, instead of taking an extra second to find a better way - but I'd still take him over Staal.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

That's why I went with G, and G also has some idea of what to do in the offensive zone. Any offensive prowess Staal had died when he got injured.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's why I went with G, and G also has some idea of what to do in the offensive zone. Any offensive prowess Staal had died when he got injured.

Yes I've always said Girardi is a very solid player in the offensive zone.

Defensive zone and getting to the offensive zone, not so much.

But blueline in, once he's there, he's an excellent pincher.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The only thing I'd say Girardi sucks at in the offensive zone is keeping the puck in at the blue line and passing sometimes

Otherwise, aside from how inconsistent his shooting is, he's good at pinching, cycling, and actually isn't too bad around the net

Watching Staal play offense now vs 5 years ago just...no words...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The only thing I'd say Girardi sucks at in the offensive zone is keeping the puck in at the blue line and passing sometimes

Otherwise, aside from how inconsistent his shooting is, he's good at pinching, cycling, and actually isn't too bad around the net

My face literally melts watching Staal attempt to play NHL level offense.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
My face literally melts watching Staal attempt to play NHL level offense.

Agreed. Once the puck is under control and possession established in the Ozone, G is much better than Staal and underrated actually when it comes to pinching, cycling and trying to keep the puck there.

Problem is him contributing negatively or irrelevantly with regards to gaining the zone with possession in the first place, which usually requires breaking out of your own zone first with possession as well,bwhich he has also struggled with mightily this year.

Watching Staal try to do anything with the puck on his stick inside the Ozone is like staring at the sun with magnifying glasses on.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Honestly, I think so many of G's issues could be rectified if he were more aggressive at the blue line, whether it be a more active stick or taking the body. I know he likes to pick and choose his spots, but I think he's good enough positionally to be more aggressive

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honestly, I think so many of G's issues could be rectified if he were more aggressive at the blue line, whether it be a more active stick or taking the body. I know he likes to pick and choose his spots, but I think he's good enough positionally to be more aggressive

Be more aggressive at the blueline and be a little more creative with the puck in your own zone, instead of just tossing it aimlessly around the boards. He could have been molded by coaching though. He does have ability. Once upon a time, Girardi was a 53% possession player and scored 10 goals.

I just feel Torts was in so many ways the wrong coach for him. His whole game now is based on blocking shots, to the point where he doesn't try to get the puck and doesn't know what to do with it when he gets it. The man tried to make the Sedins block shots for the love of God! Those bad habits are now ingrained, possibly beyond recovery.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Be more aggressive at the blueline and be a little more creative with the puck in your own zone, instead of just tossing it aimlessly around the boards. He could have been molded by coaching though. He does have ability. Once upon a time, Girardi was a 53% possession player and scored 10 goals.

I just feel Torts was in so many ways the wrong coach for him. His whole game now is based on blocking shots, to the point where he doesn't try to get the puck and doesn't know what to do with it when he gets it. The man tried to make the Sedins block shots for the love of God! Those bad habits are now ingrained, possibly beyond recovery.

I guess you could blame Sather in part too. Torts coached according to what he had. He was completey different with Tampa.

I've noticed G doing better things while being paired with Yandle, and I have a feeling it has a lot to do with Yandle putting himself in better position to make plays than McDonagh. Let's see if this trend continues

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

His gap control isn't what it used to be. He never had the reach or poke-check ability Staal once had, but he used to control gaps very well and would often obtain the puck or disrupt the puck carrier from getting a shot off while facing someone in transition.

https://youtu.be/BlxIAzlvJ7k?t=1m30s

He used to do stuff like this all the time. No Corsi Against there on that play :clap:. His gap control has suffered to the point of him conceding too much ice in front of him that the puck carrier almost always at least attempts a shot, whether Girardi blocks it or not, irrelevant to this discussion.

Maybe the speed of the game and/or Girardi's decline in skating/mobility. You have to be mobile and have better footspeed in order to control a tight gap like that.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

??

Staal has never been good offensively. He might have made a rush up the ice back in day but even that was like once every 10 games.

Staal was never drafted to provide offense. He usually makes a solid first pass out of the zone and that's all you can really ask for from a defensive dman.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Those contract's were Sather's last insult. Hopefully the Rangers can clear them out and target a RHD like Ellis in a trade to replace Girardi, and replace Staal internally with Skjei. I have no problem with a trade around Hayes and Ellis (may be able to get more from NSH too) although many here won't agree with me.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Remember when Staal was an amazing shutdown D-man like 4 years ago? God dammit.

G's slight regression is more forgivable in my opinion just because of the beating he's taken over the years. The dude is and has been a complete warrior for us.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Remember when Staal was an amazing shutdown D-man like 4 years ago? God dammit.

G's slight regression is more forgivable in my opinion just because of the beating he's taken over the years. The dude is and has been a complete warrior for us.

Yea...its not like he took a puck to the eyeball like Staal, or had concussions like Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad