Danny Briere announces his retirement; to be honored by Flyers vs. Buffalo, Oct. 27

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I didn't realize until the announcement that he was short of the 700 pt mark, and that he played most of his games with the Flyers :amazed: I'm sure if he was healthy for a couple of those seasons, he would have been pushing 800 pts or so.

His shot was lethal from the circle, nearly unstoppable, it was incredible. I absolutely loathed his defensive game (or lack thereof) but a lot of younger players like Leier, NAK, Laughton, and Cousins can learn some things from Briere's offensive tendencies around the net.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some kind of job with the Flyers at some point, maybe something like player development where he could help other smaller players like he did Giroux.

I don't think he'll have any kind of coaching job though, the whole point in him retiring was so he could stay in the area with his kids, he's not going to want a job where he has to to travel as much as he would if he were still a player.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some kind of job with the Flyers at some point, maybe something like player development where he could help other smaller players like he did Giroux.

I don't think he'll have any kind of coaching job though, the whole point in him retiring was so he could stay in the area with his kids, he's not going to want a job where he has to to travel as much as he would if he were still a player.

Absolutely, something similar to what he was already doing while he was playing, like taking the young NHLers under his wing. He can stay local, take a couple CHL trips a year, be visible at rookie and training camp, and become a lifeline for our draft picks through text/phone/email or in person if they make the team. Most of that can take place without leaving the Delaware Valley, like what Lappy did prior to the Asst coaching gig

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He just said he will talk to Holmgren in a few days to discuss options.

Probably be a local "assistant coach" "scout"

Somewhere he won't travel much.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
He just said he will talk to Holmgren in a few days to discuss options.

Probably be a local "assistant coach" "scout"

Somewhere he won't travel much.

I'd love to have him coach our younger players, in the sense of being a developmental coach, especially in terms of offense for some of our smaller players.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Crap, I missed the presser. Is there a full version online somewhere? I've only seen like two 40 second clips on CSNPhilly.

It went well and I am happy for him and his kids. Goes without saying that South Jersey is a great place to live.:nod: But dam taxes make it tough. Thanks Camden:rant:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Briere was a successful acquisition all in all.....dude produced when it counted until his last couple of years. He was always clutch in the playoffs and in 2010 him and Leino were phenomenal right through the finals. In many ways he didn't have the most ideal situation here ...Leino was basically the only complementary linemate he got to work his magic with. He had to do his time as a winger (vs center) and never really complained. As Meltzer noted he was a good leader and team spokesperson off the ice as well. Thought at times he caught a bit too much flak from the fanbase. Too bad Holmgren squandered his cap relief and buyout by signing Vinny....

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
After hearing this news and watching some old highlights, the difference between the 2010 playoffs team and last years team is night and day... so much more exciting to watch than the boring ass Berube hockey. Also amazing, but not surprising, how much of a difference having competent defenseman makes when it comes to offense.

Besides goaltending, we had the best team in the league that year imo.

Having Hartnell, Brière, Leino (he was good back then), a young Claude Giroux breaking out, Richards, Carter, Gagné... with a solid bottom 6 of Asham, Betts, Powe, Lapperiere, etc. And on D we had a top 4 of Pronger, Timonen, who were both elite, Coburn and Carle. We can say whatever we want about Holmgren, he assembled a heck of a team that year... I still get nightmares of that stupid Kane goal. I wonder how things would have turned out if razor wasn't injured.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Having Hartnell, Brière, Leino (he was good back then), a young Claude Giroux breaking out, Richards, Carter, Gagné... with a solid bottom 6 of Asham, Betts, Powe, Lapperiere, etc. And on D we had a top 4 of Pronger, Timonen, who were both elite, Coburn and Carle. We can say whatever we want about Holmgren, he assembled a heck of a team that year... I still get nightmares of that stupid Kane goal. I wonder how things would have turned out if razor wasn't injured.

That team was Championship calibre everywhere but in-between the pipes. Homer deserves a ton of credit for his work between 2007-2011.

We had two AHL goalies, both of whom sustained injuries during the playoffs, and still got within 2 wins of hoisting the Cup.

Lest we not forget our 5th, 6th, and 7th defensemen Parent, Krajicek and Bartulis.

One complaint I had of Holmgren was not adding a reliable veteran defensemen at the trade deadline, but then again the team wasn't in a playoff spot at that point.

Having our 2nd line provide more than 3 goals in 6 playoff games would have been nice.

I believe the lines were..

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Gagne-Richards-Carter
JVR-Giroux-Asham
Lappy-Betts-Carcillo/Powe

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
they should have waited until the playoffs to honor him.

& changed the ceremony to:

"anny Briere retirement ceremony" .... because there's no D

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Goaltending would have been much better had Emery's hip not fallen off and died halfway through the season.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
That team was Championship calibre everywhere but in-between the pipes. Homer deserves a ton of credit for his work between 2007-2011.

We had two AHL goalies, both of whom sustained injuries during the playoffs, and still got within 2 wins of hoisting the Cup.

Lest we not forget our 5th, 6th, and 7th defensemen Parent, Krajicek and Bartulis.

One complaint I had of Holmgren was not adding a reliable veteran defensemen at the trade deadline, but then again the team wasn't in a playoff spot at that point.

Having our 2nd line provide more than 3 goals in 6 playoff games would have been nice.

I believe the lines were..

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Gagne-Richards-Carter
JVR-Giroux-Asham
Lappy-Betts-Carcillo/Powe

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn

To be fair, wasn't it the case that Parent had some crazy spinal injury or something, and we didn't know about it until after the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad