Injury Report: Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
Briere has been activated but will not play tonight (Apr. 11).

So he had cleared the physical? Could Homer buy him out now, or have to wait till the end of the season?

IF they plan on buying Danny out, I see no reason to just do it now, to avoid him getting another concussion, going on LTIR and not being able to be bought out.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
So he had cleared the physical? Could Homer buy him out now, or have to wait till the end of the season?

IF they plan on buying Danny out, I see no reason to just do it now, to avoid him getting another concussion, going on LTIR and not being able to be bought out.

Teams get a maximum of two compliance buyouts which can be used this summer or next summer in any total (Summers of 2013 and 2014: 0/0, 1/0, 0/1, 1/1, 2/0, 0/2).

Last edited:

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
Teams get a maximum of two compliance buyouts which can be used this summer or next summer in any total (Summers of 2013 and 2014: 0/0, 1/0, 0/1, 1/1, 2/0, 0/2).

I understand that, my question is can a player on LTIR be bought out? i.e. Danny gets concussed during practice or game and we can't move him this summer for cap space.

It would be awful if Homer had a deal/trade etc. lined up for a PMD and we couldn't sign him because of the cap hit.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I understand that, my question is can a player on LTIR be bought out? i.e. Danny gets concussed during practice or game and we can't move him this summer for cap space.

It would be awful if Homer had a deal/trade etc. lined up for a PMD and we couldn't sign him because of the cap hit.

No, similar to Chris Pronger. It applies to players who are not on LTIR.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
bubbleboy5_f.jpg

If I were motivated, I'd PhotoShop Briere's face in. But I'm not.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

Who is this PMD we are prevented from signing because of Briere?

In case you didn't know, nobody is available in UFA.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

What's the fax number at the League office?

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
Who is this PMD we are prevented from signing because of Briere?

In case you didn't know, nobody is available in UFA.

In case Homer makes a draft day trade for the likes of Yandle or similar. In case you didn't know Homer's MO is trades, not UFAs... not to mention having to dump salary just to make the cap decrease.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The consummate professional, that's for sure. Nice interview to read. Said all the right things.

For sure. I don't at all wish ill on Brière, who has been huge for the Flyers during his time here. However, his declining play and cap hit (with the lower cap) means he should be the first candidate to be moved before next season.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
For sure. I don't at all wish ill on Brière, who has been huge for the Flyers during his time here. However, his declining play and cap hit (with the lower cap) means he should be the first candidate to be moved before next season.

Agreed, it's not personal, it's professional. We need cap room. He's taking up way more than his play justifies. He has to go.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I can understand people wanting Briere to be amnestied for purely business reasons but I would say that Briere's career here has paid dividends for the Flyers more than it hasn't and he has been the consummate professional IMO. I don't understand some of the irrational dislike of the guy by some and I do think he has been kind of jerked around with respect to his natural position. He is definitely more effective at center than wing..at least from a scoring perspective. Also, apart from Leino, he never had a complementary player to maximize his contributions. That storied run in 2010 and his playoff performance with Leino was something to behold....too bad the team ran out of gas and Leighton stunk like "gas."

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I can understand people wanting Briere to be amnestied for purely business reasons but I would say that Briere's career here has paid dividends for the Flyers more than it hasn't and he has been the consummate professional IMO. I don't understand some of the irrational dislike of the guy by some and I do think he has been kind of jerked around with respect to his natural position. He is definitely more effective at center than wing..at least from a scoring perspective. Also, apart from Leino, he never had a complementary player to maximize his contributions. That storied run in 2010 and his playoff performance with Leino was something to behold....too bad the team ran out of gas and Leighton stunk like "gas."

I don't understand why measured, considered criticism of his two-way play is considered irrational.

He put up very good postseason offensive numbers. His regular season production was less impressive, but that's a trade off you're willing to take--and it is better than the other way around.

That said, he's been one of the worst defensive forwards in the league throughout his tenure. His linemates have constantly had to make up for his lackluster and unenthusiastic defensive play. I'm not sure how that doesn't complicate the "what-a-great-professional" narrative around Briere. I've seen no evidence of effort to improve in his own zone. He's a one-dimensional player who steps up at key moments--but who often put the team in a poor position prior to scoring a critical goal.

I don't think that's irrational, but if it is, so be it. :laugh:

Leneth

Dec 21, 2012
Does anyone know if he is part of the German Championship team?
A link to their rules would be nice.
In contrast to Giroux he signed a whole season contract.

Or can both just say 'we are glad to have helped them on their road and are gratefull for the experience"?

SchennSational1022*

Is there a chance a team with cap room (maybe the Devils) pick up Briere's contract when the Flyers put him on waivers in preparation for the buyout? As far as I can tell that's the procedure.

http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/04/15/cba-explained-compliance-buy-outs/
http://flyersfaithful.com/2012/08/06/cba-101-contract-buyouts/

Can everybody on this site stop saying this? Players don't need to pass through waivers to be amnestied. That was only for this season and it was a provision by the NHLPA for the in season amnesties. They don't need to pass through waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad