Confirmed with Link: Daniel Sprong Recalled 12/30, Reassigned 1/22

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I have my doubts that this will turn out to be some season saving move, but it needed to be done.

Why does this have to be the season saving move? It's one piece of putting together a puzzle...

If people expect Sprong to save them, they will be disappointed. He can help score goals, but he isn't going to cast a magic wand and fix all the issues by himself.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Yeah, thinking about it, I'm with Kirk on this one. Geno and Hags. It might be the only setup that both insulates and gives him a real opportunity to flex his offense a bit.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This must be a difficult day for the Pens. Hopefully Sprong seizes the opportunity and scores a... goal? Is it called a goal? If they’re still allowed to do that.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sprong isn't going to be a savior of the season, but maybe he can help, i don't think he can be any worse then what the pens have in the bottom 6 right now.

Please give him a chance Sully, as soon as Simon didn't have a good game he got demoted and scratched.

You gotta be patient with these young players.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, thinking about it, I'm with Kirk on this one. Geno and Hags. It might be the only setup that both insulates and gives him a real opportunity to flex his offense a bit.

It's why it will never happen . . . :laugh:

But, if we're dreaming the impossible dream and doing that, people are WRONG to put Sheary-Horny with Sid. It's just not happening for Sid right now. He's going through the motions. I don't know why, but this is when you try EVERYTHING. Sprong coming up affords Sully a real chance to try Jake-Phil with Sid. They don't look bad then they get a random shift, but those are less random than Reaves playing with Sid. Give it a shot. I don't care how little Sid may like playing with Kessel. Everything else has been tried.

And, by the way, for as 'decent' as people think Jake-Sheahan-Phil looked, it was a waste of Phil and Sheary-Sheahan-Horny was better.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Why does this have to be the season saving move? It's one piece of putting together a puzzle...

If people expect Sprong to save them, they will be disappointed. He can help score goals, but he isn't going to cast a magic wand and fix all the issues by himself.

I, for one, expect him to carry the offence and win the Rocket.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don't lie, you love me.

It's ok to admit it.

No, we all hate you.

And . . . since you've watched Sprong as closely and for as long as almost anyone here, what would you like to see the lines be with Sprong up AND what do you expect Sully to do (I do anticipate a difference)?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I kinda like the idea of sprong with Makin add Hagelin because of the point Kirk brought up. Let him focus on putting the pick in the net. And with Jake and Kessel on line 3, that's some nice scoring depth in case Hagelin kills his line in the o-zone.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I kinda like the idea of sprong with Makin add Hagelin because of the point Kirk brought up. Let him focus on putting the pick in the net. And with Jake and Kessel on line 3, that's some nice scoring depth in case Hagelin kills his line in the o-zone.

But what has Sid done with Sheary-Horny to make you think he's going to snap out of it?

I still think Sully needs to fully seize the opportunity and go Jake-Sid-Phil.

As I said, it's not like we'd be 'stuck' with Sheary-Sheahan-Horny, because that's probably been the team's best third line, relatively speaking, this season.

Jake-Sid-Phil
Hags-Geno-Sprong
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's why it will never happen . . . :laugh:

But, if we're dreaming the impossible dream and doing that, people are WRONG to put Sheary-Horny with Sid. It's just not happening for Sid right now. He's going through the motions. I don't know why, but this is when you try EVERYTHING. Sprong coming up affords Sully a real chance to try Jake-Phil with Sid. They don't look bad then they get a random shift, but those are less random than Reaves playing with Sid. Give it a shot. I don't care how little Sid may like playing with Kessel. Everything else has been tried.

And, by the way, for as 'decent' as people think Jake-Sheahan-Phil looked, it was a waste of Phil and Sheary-Sheahan-Horny was better.
I am fine with either of those sets of lines. But the Jake-Sheahan-Phil line did put up 3 5v5 goals in 4 games when Geno was out. That's a better rate than our whole team most of this season I think :laugh:

I did like Sheary-Sheahan-Horny though, so that works too.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Playing Sprong with Malkin and Kessel would be the smart thing to do, which is why it will NOT be happening.

I'd play Phil with Sid and Jake. I know, Sid likes playing with Phil even less than he likes playing with Horny, but we've tried everything else with Sid, including giving ******* Reaves more looks with him.

And, let's also be honest . . . we don't have a LW on the roster or in the organization to crystallize Geno and Phil, two great players, into a great line.

My lines . . .

Jake-Sid-Phil
Hags-Geno-Sprong
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny

I'd flip the L1 and L3 wingers, and you've got it.

How the hell does it help anything just to throw Sprong into the bottom six. Seize the opportunity to mix up the top six.

All those times Phil is getting the puck from Geno and not shooting . . . Sprong will be selfish, and that's a good thing right now. And, stylistically, Sprong is a better match with Geno than Phil is. Not a better player, a better match.

And, as I said, everything else has been tried with Sid . . . give him a game with Jake-Phil. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but it's sure as hell better than throwing the same **** against the wall every night.

Sprong isn't great on the boards, so I wouldn't have him and Phil together. Unless you meant it's not the smart thing to do?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sprong isn't great on the boards, so I wouldn't have him and Phil together. Unless you meant it's not the smart thing to do?

Sorry, meant Malkin and HAGELIN

Protect him defensively and in terms of minutes while at the same time putting him in a great spot to succeed offensively.

My lines . . .

Jake-Sid-Phil
Hags-Geno-Sprong
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny

You could flip L1 and L3 wings, but it's time to try something new for Sid too.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
But what has Sid done with Sheary-Horny to make you think he's going to snap out of it?

I still think Sully needs to fully seize the opportunity and go Jake-Sid-Phil.

As I said, it's not like we'd be 'stuck' with Sheary-Sheahan-Horny, because that's probably been the team's best third line, relatively speaking, this season.

Jake-Sid-Phil
Hags-Geno-Sprong
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny
I think this would be another good combination, it just forces the top 6 to be the point producers (which let's face it, they should be) vs the depth approach.

I guess with how everyone's been playing this year I'm not hopeful that anyone jump starts anyone else, so I'd spread things out and essentially just hope someone gets hot on a different line every game. Not ideal, and kind of a shitty attitude have, but that's just how I see this team this year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The last time I remember Sid and Phil playing a whole game together was like 2 years ago against Detroit. Geno and Bones were both hurt. Kessel scored two goals. I remember because I was at the game and some turds behind us were calling Kessel a bum at the start of the game.

Reactions: KIRK

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
151465027641496759_zps3tfo7fys.gif

vjy5qnTUcA6MvOM568MFxe7tUqU.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think this would be another good combination, it just gives the top 6 to be the point producers (which let's face it, they should be) vs the depth approach.

I guess with how everyone's been playing this year I'm not hopeful that anyone jump starts anyone else, so I'd spread things out and essentially just hope someone gets hot on a different line every game. Not ideal, and kind of a ****ty attitude have, but that's just how I see this team this year.

I actually think Hags-Geno-Sprong can be a really good line.

Hags is what he is, but he's there to help with the forecheck and defensive responsibilities. And, Geno will get Sprong the puck in prime positions like Phil sees it. Difference is, Sprong will be selfish (in a good way) and take the shot.

As for Jake-Sid-Phil, do I expect it to suddenly spark Sid? No, not really. But, if you've literally tried everything else, why not give it a look for more than a random shift? Best case scenario, it sparks Sid a little. Worst case scenario, it makes no difference, and then maybe you flip L1 and L3 (Sheary-Horny) wingers.

The last time I remember Sid and Phil playing a whole game together was like 2 years ago against Detroit. Geno and Bones were both hurt. Kessel scored two goals. I remember because I was at the game and some turds behind us were calling Kessel a bum at the start of the game.

Just give it a chance for a few games. If Sid were killing it, then fine, preferences for wingers matter. But they literally have tried everything else with Sid. And, as I said, it's a real opportunity with Sprong coming up to (a) change it up for Sid AND Geno and (b) to do it in a way that puts Sprong in the best position to succeed.

It's a no brainer, which is why it won't happen.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Calling him up is a start... but don't sit there and put him on the 4th line or play him 10 minutes. Give the kid a chance to shine in a good situation. And don't bench him at his first mistake.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Calling him up is a start... but don't sit there and put him on the 4th line or play him 10 minutes. Give the kid a chance to shine in a good situation. And don't bench him at his first mistake.
The forth line is the one place where I know he won't play, because that would mean scratching Reaves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad