Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong Progress

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
The story I heard is that Johnston was insistent that Sprong wasn't ready. JR disagreed so Sprong got stuck in limbo where he didn't play much and burned a year off of his ELC. When Sullivan came in and immediately agreed with Johnston's assessment, only then was Sprong sent down.

I think they were also getting close to the 41st game of the season where he would have lost a year of RFA status.
Seeing the team was on his way to lose it's playoff spot I think it's pretty reasonable, that Sully would prefer to play the safe card with the guys he knew from WBS.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I believe all lite beer tastes like nothing. Coors lite is the worst.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
There was a time back in the 70s when Coors was actually only brewed in Colorado and was a good beer. People would get all riled up if someone could get their hands on a case / bring some back from CO. I remember when I was a little kid my neighbors getting a hold of some and people didn't shut up about it for a week. lol

Now... not so much. Banquet beer... yeah maybe if your banquet is being held here.

IMG_0494.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There was a time back in the 70s when Coors was actually only brewed in Colorado and was a good beer. People would get all riled up if someone could get their hands on a case / bring some back from CO. I remember when I was a little kid my neighbors getting a hold of some and people didn't shut up about it for a week. lol

Now... not so much. Banquet beer... yeah maybe if your banquet is being held here.

IMG_0494.jpg

Coors, Miller, Bud..etc is what you buy when you have people over and you just need "booze" there and don't want to spend some decent money on good stuff.

That's how I classify that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

IMG_0494.jpg

I remember when something similar was going on with Yuengling. People used to pay my sister and I a commission to bring back a case to Chicago when we went home to the Burgh during university breaks. :laugh:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I remember when something similar was going on with Yuengling. People used to pay my sister and I a commission to bring back a case to Chicago when we went home to the Burgh during university breaks. :laugh:

Kids today. I remember when Coors wasn't sold east of the Mississippi. My aunt's then husband was stationed in Colorado and they'd bring some with them when they came to visit.

But ... back to the topic of Sprong. If his expected recover time is 7-8 months, that means he won't have turned 20 yet. Returning to the Q might be good in terms of his recovery, then. A couple months to get up to speed, then to the Baby Pens for a playoff run. Hopefully he makes a full recovery ... and there's no reason at this point to think he won't.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Sprong is out 7-8 months, he should go back to the Q. Having a healthy Sprong in the Q makes no sense, but with him coming back off of a serious injury, playing against young men will be much easier on the shoulder and give him way more time to get back to 100%.

I didn't get a lot of clarification on this these playoffs, but if Sprong finishes his Jr season, is he eligible to play for the big squad in the playoffs?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If Sprong is out 7-8 months, he should go back to the Q. Having a healthy Sprong in the Q makes no sense, but with him coming back off of a serious injury, playing against young men will be much easier on the shoulder and give him way more time to get back to 100%.

I didn't get a lot of clarification on this these playoffs, but if Sprong finishes his Jr season, is he eligible to play for the big squad in the playoffs?

Yes. And if WB is still playing, he could play there as well.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
if the pens hadnt just won the cup, that might not be lol funny but they did and it is

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, 7-8 months for "shoulder surgery."

Meanwhile, he's locked in a closet while the eletro-shock therapy works out all of those horrible character issues.

"Daniel, you'll give a good interview, so help me God." *BZZT*

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey guys, I am in a fantasy hockey league (a very deep one in fact), and I decided to get Sprong because I feel like he will be part of the future of the Pens. Do you guys think that this guy is going to be able to make the team this year? Next year? What do you guys see in him? Would love your thoughts/comments.

Thanks,

LL

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, I am in a fantasy hockey league (a very deep one in fact), and I decided to get Sprong because I feel like he will be part of the future of the Pens. Do you guys think that this guy is going to be able to make the team this year? Next year? What do you guys see in him? Would love your thoughts/comments.

Thanks,

LL

The consensus around here is that he'll have a similar progression as Guentzel, start in the A carve out a spot on the big team mid-season. I think he'll make the team out of camp tho. I'd be shocked if he isn't a regular by next season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pretty much what That1kid said. I think he does start in the AHL - they've got the depth to allow that, it'll allow a bit more emphasis on rounding his game out, make him work a little harder and cynically speaking keep his next contract down a little - but it feels like him being an NHL regular is when, not if.

If he does stick, given the offensive skillset we've seen and the help he'll have, a 40-50 point season seems a fair expectation. If he can get a full season next to Sid/Geno, the sky's the limit.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He's a Pittsburgh Penguin. They will find a rare genetic mutation and his career will be over.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The consensus around here is that he'll have a similar progression as Guentzel, start in the A carve out a spot on the big team mid-season. I think he'll make the team out of camp tho. I'd be shocked if he isn't a regular by next season.

He is behind some combination of Kessel, Sheary, Hornqvist, Rust, Reaves though. Unless there are trades, he'll only be playing if/when we get the injury bug. There isn't space like there was for Guentzel.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He is behind some combination of Kessel, Sheary, Hornqvist, Rust, Reaves though. Unless there are trades, he'll only be playing if/when we get the injury bug. There isn't space like there was for Guentzel.

Guentzel was behind something like Sheary, Kunitz, Hagelin, Wilson, kuhnhackl and Rust depending who was on LW. They made room with Sheary going to the RW and kuhnhackl being pushed down the depth chart and the ever present injuries striking. The problem could be if he doesn't outplay anyone or if Reaves has to play every game regardless of someone like Sprong.

They're deeper on the RW but Sheary and Rust can play LW, and they'll always have injuries.

Eta. But yeah, I see him following the Guentzel path to the NHL.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins will make a spot for Sprong like they made a spot for Guentzel when he's ready. Same with ZAR I think, although I want to see how he does in the AHL next season first. If Wilson gets traded for a 3C, I could see Sprong making the team for opening night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad