Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong Progress

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
From an article posted 3 hours ago:

So what has he been up to since he rejoined Charlottetown?

Prior to being drafted by the Penguins, Sprong led his junior team in scoring for two consecutive seasons. In 135 games played, he scored 156 points, 59 of which were goals. Since his return in December, he’s notched 44 points, 15 being goals, in 31 games for the Islanders.

That scoring prowess and his role in helping the lowly Islanders mount a comeback in the latter half of the season cemented Sprong as the QMJHL’s Second Star of the Week. As Charlottetown’s season winds down – they’re unlikely to make the playoffs – questions of where Sprong will play abound.

https://penslabyrinth.com/2016/03/16/pittsburgh-penguins-prospects-daniel-sprong/

They speculate that he will be a part of the Pens' roster next season at some point.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If the expansion draft does happen in the summer of '17, surely that might figure in to the decision to let him play another year (or the majority of a year) in the minors to avoid it, right?

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
If the expansion draft does happen in the summer of '17, surely that might figure in to the decision to let him play another year (or the majority of a year) in the minors to avoid it, right?

I think so. If he plays in the NHL next year I think the Pens would then be forced to protect him from the draft or let him be exposed to it.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
IIRC players on ELC aren't eligible for the expansion draft
Not in the potential rules releases today. From the article on tsn.ca
The answer is that first- and second-year professional players - including those in the minors - will be exempt from the expansion draft. Players entering the third and final year of their entry-level contract would be eligible, though.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Yeah, Sprong will still be a 2nd year pro at the potential expansion draft. Otherwise there is no such thing as a first year pro!

The expansion draft will be held before the entry draft and free agency, therefore he won't have entered his 3rd year as a pro.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Yeah, Sprong will still be a 2nd year pro at the potential expansion draft. Otherwise there is no such thing as a first year pro!

The expansion draft will be held before the entry draft and free agency, therefore he won't have entered his 3rd year as a pro.

The wording from TSN.ca was players that who will be entering their 3rd year of their ELC. So if this year does indeed count and Sprong plays in the NHL or pro hockey anywhere else next year that would mean he would be eligible for the expansion draft. Otherwise they would have just said all players on an ELC are exempt.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
The wording from TSN.ca was players that who will be entering their 3rd year of their ELC. So if this year does indeed count and Sprong plays in the NHL or pro hockey anywhere else next year that would mean he would be eligible for the expansion draft. Otherwise they would have just said all players on an ELC are exempt.

So what they mean is those who will be first and second year pro's in 17/18 season are exempt? Right?

If so that's not great for Sprongers development. Would have been good to be able to give him another shot at the NHL roster next year.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
So what they mean is those who will be first and second year pro's in 17/18 season are exempt? Right?

If so that's not great for Sprongers development. Would have been good to be able to give him another shot at the NHL roster next year.

Yes I think so.

If this year counts for Sprong then the Pens for sure will have a tough decision to make.

I think the Pens will lose a good player or prospect to the expansion draft no matter what they decide to do. :(

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate the expansion draft, you draft, develop, sign and bring players over only to lose them because you can't protect enough so a bunch of new teams can build their crap teams.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I hate the expansion draft, you draft, develop, sign and bring players over only to lose them because you can't protect enough so a bunch of new teams can build their crap teams.

It always bothered me that Marty Straka was playing for the Panthers in 1996 instead of Pittsburgh. I wonder if that playoff series would have been different if that were not the case. :(

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
What did the 40 game cutoff mean again? Because IIRC, he didn't reach that.

Edit: nm, that just has to deal with free agency.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yes I think so.

If this year counts for Sprong then the Pens for sure will have a tough decision to make.

I think the Pens will lose a good player or prospect to the expansion draft no matter what they decide to do. :(

How many players can you protect?

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO

I'm with you. I don't see a scenario where the Pens don't lose a player that is really valuable to the team. Someone is going to go and it's gonna hurt.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Unfortunately, a lot of players look dominant in the Q. It's quite the ****** League.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sprong is definitely protected in the upcoming draft. Not only are players who will have finished their 2nd years be safe, Sprong didn't hit the 41 game cut off for this season to count as a pro season.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
What would you do then if you were Bettman and the league was expanding?

Not expand. There are a couple franchises that struggle with attendance/arena deals/ownership problems etc. Maybe get those sorted out before you bring in new clubs?

The owners want it because they get a share in the energy fee and revenue but that doesn't mean Bettman is making a smart move

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Off topic, but the real concern I have with the expansion draft is the fact teams can only protect one goaltender. That will also assuredly spell the end of any Fleury/Murray duo if we still have both guys by that point.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not expand. There are a couple franchises that struggle with attendance/arena deals/ownership problems etc. Maybe get those sorted out before you bring in new clubs?

The owners want it because they get a share in the energy fee and revenue but that doesn't mean Bettman is making a smart move

That's not what I asked but sure don't expand. I'm saying IF you do expand, which is what they are planning to do, how else would you add the team other than expansion draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad