Ansar Khan: Daniel Cleary is coming to Wings camp on a pro tryout

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I understand the reasoning behind it.

They league also reduced the required number of vets to 8 so a lot of the kids could fill those slots. Point being that Cleary, whose last NHL game was a year and a half ago, is not the next logical choice to fill that role.

Quick math question: if you have to play a minimum of 8 veterans each game and you want to rest all veterans who played the first game in a back-to-back, what is the minimum amount of veterans you need to have in order to do that?

Hint: it's more than 14.

Why is it a problem that it's someone who's guaranteed not to take an NHL spot? Do you want another veteran to bury Athanasiou even further? All that's needed is a veteran body filler and Cleary is a good locker room guy who's well liked on the team. He's a good influence on the kids. It's a mildly amusing situation but what is the problem here, really? What is there to complain about?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

It's funner to think this is just Ken Holland creating a country club in Detroit so he doesn't have to do any real work or make any "real" decisions.

Apparently him using Cleary as veteran to count toward the 8 minimum is, yet, another ignorant and lazy decision by him. It's so easy to blame him without knowing anything about the politics and/or rules of hockey. Haters gonna hate..

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Quick math question: if you have to play a minimum of 8 veterans each game and you want to rest all veterans who played the first game in a back-to-back, what is the minimum amount of veterans you need to have in order to do that?

Hint: it's more than 14.

Why is it a problem that it's someone who's guaranteed not to take an NHL spot? Do you want another veteran to bury Athanasiou even further? All that's needed is a veteran body filler and Cleary is a good locker room guy who's well liked on the team. He's a good influence on the kids. It's a mildly amusing situation but what is the problem here, really? What is there to complain about?

I'm actually not bent out of shape about it. I understand it's not really going to make a huge impact on the team. It's just a hilarious sign of Holland's addiction to former players. Maybe he doesn't know how to add new contacts to his iPhone or something.

It's also been entertaining watching people have to explain away yet another Dan Cleary reappearance. He's seriously like Red Wings roster herpes at this point. It's a treat to watch people justify another outbreak.

For all the talk of Cleary's experience, great lockerroom guy who could mentor the kids, the Wing just hired Shawn Horcoff for those exact reasons.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cleary should be first guy to sign if we want to tank.

So Holland is doing wrong when he isn't signing him? Or how it was for the tank people?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/mailbag-brendan-shanahan/

You play "the loyalty card" because a mediocre to worthless NHL player who used to be okay at the game mentoring young players is far far more useful than you're giving it credit for. In Shanny's Q&A posted above, he says that Doug Sulliman was a huge part of why his wrist shot was so good and he scored 600+ goals. Doug Sulliman was a journeyman on his best days.

I'd pretty okay with having a guy like Cleary down on the farm who is cool with showing the young kids the ropes and helping to mold their thought processes into those of professionals. He needs to never play for the Wings in the regular season again because the game has certainly passed him by. Frankly, though, I don't give one **** about a veteran's roster slot on the Griffins. You're not pissed that Louis Marc-Aubry or Jeff Hoggan is down there, are you? That's the kind of guys who are affected negatively on the roster by Dan Cleary. All of the young kids can only be affected positively by him helping to teach them what it is to be a professional.
If I thought Dan Cleary had anything invaluable to teach, I might agree with you.

If the last several years hadn't already been filled to capacity with hanging on to mediocre players, in the name of "veteran presence" and "teaching the kids" - thus far, with results consisting of nearly all skating prospects not named Larkin still being mediocre, and no tangible franchise success to show for it - I might agree with you.

I get that grizzled veterans who can't hack it anymore still have the potential to pass on their knowledge to the next generation. But for more than half a decade, Detroit has gone into the mode of, "I don't care if the vets are any good anymore; maybe they can teach somebody something". And with the duration of that approach, and how little it's panned out thus far, I just don't see the point of continuing it to the extent that they've been employing it.

Guys like Zetterberg and Kronwall can still teach others, while they (hopefully) still occasionally play meaningful hockey. If you want that from Dan Cleary, then like somebody already said, sign the guy to the coaching staff in GR.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I get that grizzled veterans who can't hack it anymore still have the potential to pass on their knowledge to the next generation. But for more than half a decade, Detroit has gone into the mode of, "I don't care if the vets are any good anymore; maybe they can teach somebody something". And with the duration of that approach, and how little it's panned out thus far, I just don't see the point of continuing it to the extent that they've been employing it.
25 years of sustained success definitely is something that is very common and can't have anything do with the Wings model of bringing young players up surrounded by veterans that pass on their knowledge and experience and teach good habits.

Giving Cleary a PTO means almost nothing. It has zero negative effects. Look at the PTOs around the league. How many of them are discussed AT ALL? How many warrant more than a passing mention? You can bet that a ton of those PTOs are given out as favors or to players that just have some connection to the organization.

It's so sad that if this PTO was given to a completely random guy that would never play an NHL game in his life, there would be 1 post at most about it. But because it's Cleary it becomes a massive issue. Get over it people.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We don't even have the cap space to get him playing in Detroit if we wanted to.

Look I don't like anything that even leaves the door slightly cracked open when it comes to Dan Cleary, with his ability to pull at Holland's heartstrings, but this guy has played his last game for the Red Wings. We played AA, Mantha, and hell even Nosek over him last year.

And nothing valuable to teach or pass on? Look, as much as I dislike what Dan Cleary has done here the last few years with what I believe to be some manipulation and leveraging of personal relationships... We are talking about a guy who was a high profile pick who had to completely change his attitude and play style to survive in the league, and be successful in this league. And he did exactly that. So hard to say he doesn't have at least anything valuable to pass on to younger players. When it's only at the cost of a PTO and potential contract that can be 100% buried in the AHL, it's really just whatever.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Kirk Maltby, 37 years old at the time, signed a 1-year, 2-way contract in 2010, only to retire a week later.

Dan Cleary, 37, signs a PTO. Could he emulate Maltby?

If I remember correctly, with Maltby that was his last shot at making the Wings. He actually played 52 games for the Wings the previous season. When it became apparent he wasn't going to make the team out of camp, he retired.

We're well past that point with Cleary.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I'm actually not bent out of shape about it. I understand it's not really going to make a huge impact on the team. It's just a hilarious sign of Holland's addiction to former players. Maybe he doesn't know how to add new contacts to his iPhone or something.

It's also been entertaining watching people have to explain away yet another Dan Cleary reappearance. He's seriously like Red Wings roster herpes at this point. It's a treat to watch people justify another outbreak.

For all the talk of Cleary's experience, great lockerroom guy who could mentor the kids, the Wing just hired Shawn Horcoff for those exact reasons.

Why would the Wings bring anyone that is not familiar with their system to be a fill in for camp? Cleary is a great choice since he has been doing it for years.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
The best part about this news is how the forums reacted to it.

I'm convinced that someone in the organization reads hfboards, and convinced the involved parties to do it for ***** and giggles.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I still think they should just make him a coach in GR. Clearly the organization thinks he adds something, but just as clearly, he's not adding anything being on the ice that he wouldn't add behind the bench. That said, as long as he stays as far away from Detroit as he did last season, I really don't care what he's doing, or where he's doing it. He's not a roster block anymore, and he's not taking up cap space. There were far worse signings made this year.

:dunno:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It was never gonna happen anyway. I still don't care if he's on GRG at this point.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Most of us really like Cleary the person. It's not surprising he's a good guy to have in the organization and guiding the kids. Cleary's career was looking done and he worked his way back with the Wings and was a real warrior. That's an excellent quality to have in your mentors.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Just read about his year from Malik report, it seemed like he was a positive influence with Griffins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad