Ansar Khan: Daniel Cleary is coming to Wings camp on a pro tryout

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
as badly as the last 2 or 3 signings tarnished anything he ever did as a wing the guy lives and breaths hockey. all the best to him

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
From Malik report:

Seven players (including Daniel Cleary) were released from their tryout contracts and will join the Griffins for training camp. Cleary has signed a contract for the upcoming season.

Cleary released.

Also, Robbie Russo thanks Cleary about his adjustment for pro hockey.

"Just playing my game, developing good habits, moving the puck good," Russo said. "We had a pretty good team, so that always helps, too. When Danny Cleary got there he definitely helped me out a lot. It's a little tough on you at first, but he keeps you accountable and definitely it helped me out a ton and I thank him for where I'm at today."

He is an important guy. Time for everybody accept that.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...He is an important guy. Time for everybody accept that.

I think the word important is exaggeration. He's simply there- which is kind of crazy.
Cleary loves the game (and a healthy paycheck :)), I'll give him that. No way the majority of fans are pumped or even interested in Cleary anymore. His saga has drawn into some strange territory...

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
From Malik report:

Cleary released.

Also, Robbie Russo thanks Cleary about his adjustment for pro hockey.

He is an important guy. Time for everybody accept that.

I wonder if anybody tells cleary that every bad play is mostly his fault when he's on the ice

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Love all these prospects praising Cleary's influence after hfboards have gone on and on about how useless he is and how he does nothing positive for the organization.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Love all these prospects praising Cleary's influence after hfboards have gone on and on about how useless he is and how he does nothing positive for the organization.

Who has said he does nothing positive for the organization? And most people calling him useless were referring to him being on the roster for the Wings.

I don't know why they didn't give him Fischer's old job instead of hiring Horcoff.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who has said he does nothing positive for the organization? And most people calling him useless were referring to him being on the roster for the Wings.

I don't know why they didn't give him Fischer's old job instead of hiring Horcoff.

Because he is on-ice developer. Horcoff works off-ice.

Simple things to understand.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Because he is on-ice developer. Horcoff works off-ice.

Simple things to understand.

Yes, yes. Simple.

Since you obviously have inside knowledge as to what Horcoff and Cleary's roles are, exactly what nuggets of wisdom was Cleary doling out on the ice during games that he couldn't possibly do as an assistant coach or player development role?

For the record, I was a big defender of Cleary when he was relentlessly trashed by Wings fans. And I'm still a fan of the guy. that doesn't mean he's not a symptom of Holland being loyal to a fault (and I'm not referring to this latest deal).

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I can't even remember the last time Cleary played an NHL game. I think some folks need to let go of the past and move on to the here and now.

It's like nobody talks about Larkin being the youngest player to ever start in the top 6 in years, and how exciting / fast/ young this team has become. Too focused on the distant past to enjoy the now it seems.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Yes, yes. Simple.

Since you obviously have inside knowledge as to what Horcoff and Cleary's roles are, exactly what nuggets of wisdom was Cleary doling out on the ice during games that he couldn't possibly do as an assistant coach or player development role?

For the record, I was a big defender of Cleary when he was relentlessly trashed by Wings fans. And I'm still a fan of the guy. that doesn't mean he's not a symptom of Holland being loyal to a fault (and I'm not referring to this latest deal).

Gotta make that room for some other 13th AHL forward. You know, one of those sure things.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can't even remember the last time Cleary played an NHL game. [...] Too focused on the distant past to enjoy the now it seems.

Ah yes, the distant year 2015. Back then Barack Obama was President. Game of Thrones was the top show on TV. Adele could be heard on the radio. Truly a very different time.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Gotta make that room for some other 13th AHL forward. You know, one of those sure things.

So many straw men, so little time.

Ah yes, the distant year 2015. Back then Barack Obama was President. Game of Thrones was the top show on TV. Adele could be heard on the radio. Truly a very different time.
:laugh:

Ahh we were all so much younger then, a little naive, but full of life.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Would've been a great read in 2013.

Pretty much. I'll always praise and remember well the guy who ran Phaneuf and dropped the gloves with Pronger. He had no business eating up cap or roster space the last two years he was here, though. Good luck to him in GR.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funniest thing ever in any Cleary-case is that still some people think that Dan Cleary killed some of our prospects with his existence and eating the roster space. It has been more of vise versa. He makes those prospects better.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Funniest thing ever in any Cleary-case is that still some people think that Dan Cleary killed some of our prospects with his existence and eating the roster space. It has been more of vise versa. He makes those prospects better.

I don't think this is a viewpoint that actually exists. I can see why you would think it's funny. But I don't think it's a real thing.

Being frustrated that Cleary blocked roster space for younger players is quite far from claiming he "killed some of our prospects." The biggest frustration was that Nyquist was NHL ready and Cleary's decision to stay in Detroit removed the ability to put him on the roster on day 1. Nyquist then definitively proved to be more useful in the minutes Cleary once occupied, so you can understand why people felt validated in their frustration and the organization's loyalty to veterans instead of truly icing the best possible roster.

That's the bulk of the actual criticisms right there. And you'll notice how they aren't even actually about Cleary. Not really. They deal with how management and Babcock handled roster and ice decisions.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Yes and ruined Larkin's career and blocked Mantha from being a starter.

Seriously though, I doubt one person remembers what was the last NHL team he played and the score of that game without looking it up. Hence, I don't remember the last time Clearly played.

but it's funner to say "it was sometime in 2015".

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Nyquist then definitively proved to be more useful in the minutes Cleary once occupied,

As always, those were not the only two variables, or even the most closely related two variables. Cleary was in a bottom 6 role. When a top 6 role opened, Nyquist came up. Different roles, different players, yadda yadda yadda. If that's not understood by now it never will be, of course, but it's important to occasionally mention it regardless.

That's the bulk of the actual criticisms right there. And you'll notice how they aren't even actually about Cleary. Not really. They deal with how management and Babcock handled roster and ice decisions.

If you are attempting to make the case that Cleary wasn't the butt of barrage after barrage of direct and personal criticisms, I mean, wow. That guy was savaged. Yes, of course people made sure to blast Babcock and Holland too, but holy cow did Cleary catch shotgun blast after shotgun blast of vitriol from you guys.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If you are attempting to make the case that Cleary wasn't the butt of barrage after barrage of direct and personal criticisms, I mean, wow. That guy was savaged. Yes, of course people made sure to blast Babcock and Holland too, but holy cow did Cleary catch shotgun blast after shotgun blast of vitriol from you guys.
Indeed. Just as guys like Samuelsson and Bertuzzi took the vitriol before him. They're all symptomatic of the philosophy that some find so frustrating.

Cleary got a much bigger dose, because his retention was the most extreme example of hanging on to a veteran past their expiration date. But (at least speaking for myself), the root of the problem is the strategy, not the players representing it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Indeed. Just as guys like Samuelsson and Bertuzzi took the vitriol before him. They're all symptomatic of the philosophy that some find so frustrating.

Cleary got a much bigger dose, because his retention was the most extreme example of hanging on to a veteran past their expiration date. But (at least speaking for myself), the root of the problem is the strategy, not the players representing it.

Have to comment because I've read recently Bertuzzi's name added in different discussions. In this instance I don't think Bert fits in the same category as the epic fail of Samuelsson and the universal unhappiness/distrust of that signing.

In '11-'12 Bertuzzi's scoring was 38 points (down from 44 and 45) but was a +23! There weren't many complaints that I remember. The lockout happened in 13 and with injuries played only 7 games. At that point yes some were sighting the inevitable. His last season ('13-'14)as much as I liked Bertuzzi was not great. Only then was there a real public outcry and the Wings were on the same page, Todd was not resigned.

I'd say much much more extreme was the calling for Draper and Maltby's heads! :laugh: I only started poking around HF in 2010 so as a total newb and simple, happy fan I was in shock to discover detailed analysis of the team and players- past, present, and future- sometimes in not so family oriented language. Proclaiming Draper should be ground up like old horse meat, what? :laugh: After the loss in 2009 I know a good handful were hoping he would retire, but he stayed on two more years! His last in 2011 (after 20 NHL seasons) was not pretty, on ice or online.

Maltby may have been worse. He never passed 11 points for 5 years, from '05-'10. Same thing years before his game got that ugly at the end posters were reading the writing on the wall, begging he retire. Those two players in my time here are closest to the hysteria the Cleary drama has evoked.

Man HF is always right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->