Podcast (Audio) (Dangle) The 1-2-3 C model was always the way

tronoleaf

Jun 8, 2021
The moment they signed Tavares and given the surrounding team (no traditional 1D) it was always obvious Dubas (given his inclination for skill over a more Western conference style build) was going to have to go with the Crosby Malkin Staal Pittsburgh model where you have a true shutdown Selke level defensive 3C.

But he didn't do that well. I thought the right move was to trade Kadri for a pick around 15 (like he did with Kapanen) and draft the best defensive center available.

At 87 minutes of Matt Smartin the new dangle podcast they talk about exactly this if anyone's interested.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The moment they signed Tavares and given the surrounding team (no traditional 1D) it was always obvious Dubas (given his inclination for skill over a more Western conference style build) was going to have to go with the Crosby Malkin Staal Pittsburgh model where you have a true shutdown Selke level defensive 3C.

But he didn't do that well. I thought the right move was to trade Kadri for a pick around 15 (like he did with Kapanen) and draft the best defensive center available.

At 87 minutes of Matt Smartin the new dangle podcast they talk about exactly this if anyone's interested.
What defensive center has been drafted at around 15 in the past 2 drafts and is currently playing in the nhl?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
What defensive center has been drafted at around 15 in the past 2 drafts and is currently playing in the nhl?

Well, in 2017 we could've taken Thomas or Norris instead of Liljegren. Or we could just play Nylander and Kerfoot together on the third line. More of an HBK line than a Staal line, but still a matchup nightmare for others.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

What is the "Western Conference style build"? Are we in the middle of an Eastern Conference build? Is Toronto a hybrid New York Rangers/ Chicago Blackhawks build. Like a quasi central/metro style?

‐----

Sorry. All kidding aside I don't believe in these so called styles and GM handbook for hockey team building. There are many ways and many styles.

(On paper) Toronto looked good and deep in the center position. It never panned out. Kadri kept letting his team down (twice in TOR and once in COL).

I am against a lot of these notions though and the arguments being presented here.

Reactions: Auston 316

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Do you want to take the best defensive centre @ 15 or best available player?

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
For what it’s worth I thought Kerfoot really played well late and in the playoffs. May not be a “shutdown” centre but he’s really improved on the PK and is far from a liability.

His contract is maybe a touch more than I’d like, but it’s manageable for what he brings. I think we’re fine at C.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
The solution to the Leafs problems is to draft a defensive center? Dangle has always been an idiot

They say it takes 300 NHL games for D to get the experience he needs to predict situations. Yet you expect to draft defensive center?

Guess it takes less when you play fewer minutes as Forward to be good on D...Just go with C that can't score and hope for the best in your scenario ( you are not getting Barkov as the 15th pick).

Please also pick a prospect that will turn into NHL goalie, nothing compared to getting Selke C in draft ... you can see McD will score in the NHL, how can you predict the way defensive center from OHL transfers to NHL...Even this imaginary prodigy going around 15th might need time and experience to be the defensive center. Not saying NHL players will automatically steal your nose to make you look foolish, but it's a bit disrespectful talking about draft picks coming into the league shutting anyone..

Wait till you get Wilson in your face the first shift. You'll be looking forward to McJesus.

Reactions: aresknights

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We had a 3C, Kadri.
Now if you were unhappy with his suspensions, he could have been traded for a more defensive quality 3C.
But we also had issues on D. So he was traded for a UFA that didn’t work and Kerfoot who could possibly be exposed to expansion. So really nothing to show here.
We also had backup goalie issues with Sparks that couldn’t be addressed. Cap.

What you don’t do is spend all that money on wingers.
You had your 2 centers. Now build from the net out. Could have signed Pietrangelo and not nearly 20 on 2 wingers. Kept guys like Brown/Johnsson and a 5 mil winger.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A mid round 1st isn't likely to immediately step in as Staal did though. It was also easier for the team to move a winger for futures than it would have been to trade away a centre for a similar return.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Dangle is completely clueless and a typical Sportsnet clown.

Jesse Blake has morphed into Sid Sixeiro's baby brother.

Adam Wylde is just miserable.

Does Jessie ever speak...? I've watched dozens of those podcasts and I can recall him talking for more than 30 seconds.

My wife was impressed with Wylde because of who his mother is... LOL....

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We had a 3C, Kadri.
Now if you were unhappy with his suspensions, he could have been traded for a more defensive quality 3C.
But we also had issues on D. So he was traded for a UFA that didn’t work and Kerfoot who could possibly be exposed to expansion. So really nothing to show here.
We also had backup goalie issues with Sparks that couldn’t be addressed. Cap.

What you don’t do is spend all that money on wingers.
You had your 2 centers. Now build from the net out. Could have signed Pietrangelo and not nearly 20 on 2 wingers. Kept guys like Brown/Johnsson and a 5 mil winger.

I want all of my forwards to be centers. They have a better vision of the game and should be better defensively than just a pure winger. Wingers are put on wing because they cant paly center, centers are put at center because they are the best all around forward for that line.

Reactions: tronoleaf

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
We had a 3C, Kadri.

Completely agree. He is what I immediately thought of.

The Leafs had a solid setup down the middle with Matthews/Tavares/Kadri. The thing with Kadri is that not only was he a solid two-way option, he was adaptable in the role as well as could chip in points. And most importantly to me for a 3rd line centre, is that he could have seamlessly moved up into the #2 spot if either of Matthews or Tavares got injured and put up 60 points.

Kerfoot on the other hand, as an example, is a good 3rd line centre, but if need be, would be a subpar option as a #2 centre if the aforementioned situation arose.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Completely agree. He is what I immediately thought of.

The Leafs had a solid setup down the middle with Matthews/Tavares/Kadri. The thing with Kadri is that not only was he a solid two-way option, he was adaptable in the role as well as could chip in points. And most importantly to me for a 3rd line centre, is that he could have seamlessly moved up into the #2 spot if either of Matthews or Tavares got injured and put up 60 points.

Kerfoot on the other hand, as an example, is a good 3rd line centre, but if need be, would be a subpar option as a #2 centre if the aforementioned situation arose.
All we needed were hard working wingers to support that with built from the net out behind.
Guys like Toffoli making 4 mil or Konecny at 5 with 2 way forwards like Hyman/Brown etc.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
What are the chances that Hallander (C acquired from Pitt in Kapanen trade) fill that role of 3C in the coming seasons. I believe he is highly touted as a defensive minded C who can chip if offensively as well, and has decent size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad