Danes in KHL.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Bjorkstrand played in line with Murray and Jessiman. They have had very hard task as they were matched up against Radulov's line. When Patrick signed for us, I read comment on one Sweden site that he is lazy sometimes, but so far (I watched him in three games since he joined) he didn't show any kind of lazyness, au contre, it seems that he is really hard-working guy. He and his line did very good job five on five against CSKA top line. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RALvL-H9_u8 Game

Good performance by Bjorkstrand. His finest moment was possibly his forechecking on BP in the first period. He certainly didn't strike me as being lazy, but he did look a bit slow at times. A great performance by Medvescak, playing on a high of their first game in the league, it will be interesting to see if they can keep the intensity at that level when the grind of the season starts.

Was the short stint by Vasiljevic necessary in order to fulfill the NT requirement?

Great atmosphere as expected. I believe they announced that Goran Ivanisevic was in attendance.:) The crowd was loud from the start. I even spotted a Trukhno jersey. :laugh:

ficohok*

Good performance by Bjorkstrand. His finest moment was possibly his forechecking on BP in the first period. He certainly didn't strike me as being lazy, but he did look a bit slow at times. A great performance by Medvescak, playing on a high of their first game in the league, it will be interesting to see if they can keep the intensity at that level when the grind of the season starts.

Was the short stint by Vasiljevic necessary in order to fulfill the NT requirement?

Great atmosphere as expected. I believe they announced that Goran Ivanisevic was in attendance.:) The crowd was loud from the start. I even spotted a Trukhno jersey. :laugh:

Don't know why Vasiljevic got that stint, but it was cool move by coach French. Yes, Ivanisevic was in attendance and there are a lot of Truhno jersey's. He made a lot of fans but few enemies in the same time, as being "marked" as Raymond's player (ex-coach of Medvescak, played for him in ECHL) and he tolerated him coming to the practices with few beers in him.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Back down to earth after yesterday's game. Lot's of sloppy play and mental mistakes. And not a lot of ice time for Bjorkstrand. This is what I feared the most when he came to the KHL: He'd end up playing 5-7 minutes per game. Hopefully, he'll be able to work himself into an increased role on the team.

I found the little souvenir shop next to the Dom Sportova, but do you know where I can find team jerseys? I am in Zagreb for tomorrow's game as well...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
In the Medvescak loss 1-3 to Lev Praha Patrick Bjørkstrand was moved to the 4'th line and saw only 9.39 min of playing time; but it still seems fairly Ok for a 4'th line.

But much less than that could hurt his development........

No points yet, but apparently quite solid defense. He is still +0 in spite of Medvescak losing the last two games.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
In the fourth game for Medvescak Patrick Bjørkstrand got his first point. An assist giving the Zagreb team a 2-1 lead, but Medvescak lost to Slovan Bratislava with 4-3 in OT.

He played again on the 4'th line, but got 11.56 min playing time (quite good!), no shots on goal and 2 min penalty.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I saw yesterdays game SKA vs Medveščak,so i think i can chip in on how bjorkstrand was doing,he didnt get much ice time,but when he did he made a couple of good offensive plays,especially in 3d period where he had an almost one on one with the SKA`s goalie,he made a great pass to his teammate but the couldnt capitalize.

Overall the game looked like two teams from two different leagues where playing,SKA was basically doing what they pleased and controled the game for most of the game.

Also Bjorkstrand is affected by beeing in a weak team like Medveščak,we in Riga could use a guy like Bjorkstrand,he would be a great addition to our 4th line with all the injuries.

Anyway heres the highlights from the game

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I saw yesterdays game SKA vs MedveÅ¡čak,so i think i can chip in on how bjorkstrand was doing,he didnt get much ice time,but when he did he made a couple of good offensive plays,especially in 3d period where he had an almost one on one with the SKA`s goalie,he made a great pass to his teammate but the couldnt capitalize.

Overall the game looked like two teams from two different leagues where playing,SKA was basically doing what they pleased and controled the game for most of the game.

Also Bjorkstrand is affected by beeing in a weak team like MedveÅ¡čak,we in Riga could use a guy like Bjorkstrand,he would be a great addition to our 4th line with all the injuries.

Thanks for the rapport and the highlights :)
Bjørkstrand played in the third line in the 6-2 defeat against Severstal and got 1 shot on goal, but no points. He must be doing fine defensively since he is still +0 even with these many defeats.
Medvescak plays Lokomotiv today.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Medvescak lost again in OT - 2-3 to Atlant.
Patrick Bjørkstrand got an assist for the 1-1 goal; he had no shots on goal.
So after 8 matches he has 0G 2A and with a +1 statistics with an average ice-time of 11.07 min. So pretty decent when playing mostly 4'th line.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Medvescak Zagrab got a surprising OT win over SKA St. Petersburg 4-3. It was close to a full win but SKA scored twice and equilized 1-3 to 3-3 within the last 10 min.

Patrick Bjørkstrand played in the 3'rd line and apparently since his statistic went from +1 to -1 Kovalchuk might have been a tough one to play against (he scored 2 goals for SKA).

ficohok*

Today against Barys, 12:55 on ice, assist for 2nd Medvescak goal. Overall strong game, good on PK. Fans and media are very pleased with him so far, three asists so far looks great when we know that he and his linemates (Walker and Murray) are usually matched against others team top lines. :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Today against Barys, 12:55 on ice, assist for 2nd Medvescak goal. Overall strong game, good on PK. Fans and media are very pleased with him so far, three asists so far looks great when we know that he and his linemates (Walker and Murray) are usually matched against others team top lines. :)

Thanks for the info and glad to hear that we is doing great. Since his role is to minimized the opposition and less to produce himself 3 assists so far doesn't look all bad.
Tonight's game against Avtomobilist. See if Medvescak can continue their little streak and establish themselves around the middle of the division.

ficohok*

Thanks for the info and glad to hear that we is doing great. Since his role is to minimized the opposition and less to produce himself 3 assists so far doesn't look all bad.
Tonight's game against Avtomobilist. See if Medvescak can continue their little streak and establish themselves around the middle of the division.

If someone from our Top6 forwards get injured he would be my first candidate to fill that role.

I wasn't at saturday game because of cold, so I watched game at croatian TV. Commentator (who's father was hockey goalie and champion of Yugoslavia with army club of Partizan) said in one moment of the game "We will call him Patrick, not Bjorkstrand, because it is easier to say it"...and since then he called him Patrick whole game long:laugh::D

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
If someone from our Top6 forwards get injured he would be my first candidate to fill that role.

I wasn't at saturday game because of cold, so I watched game at croatian TV. Commentator (who's father was hockey goalie and champion of Yugoslavia with army club of Partizan) said in one moment of the game "We will call him Patrick, not Bjorkstrand, because it is easier to say it"...and since then he called him Patrick whole game long:laugh::D

Hope to "Patrick" then in a top-6 role during the season :D

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Medvescak is really on a roll. 3-0 vs Avtomobilist. No points for Bjørkstrand but his being used steadily on the 3'rd line for the last couple of games.

ficohok*

http://www.bearshockeyblog.com/from-cska-to-ska-player-performance-review-part-1-forwards/

Patrick Bjorkstrand, RW: 8 GP, 0 G, 2 A.
Few would have thought that the Danish national team player would bring such an impact to the team. Primarily seen by many just as a necessary signing to satisfy the required number of U-22 players on the roster, he slowly started proving everyone wrong as soon as training camp started. Bjorkstrand has just excelled in these 8 games making excellent use of his ice time. He found a way to contribute in each line he was put in (and he has been moved around a lot, having played on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line). Bjorkstrand has a high hockey IQ, great hands and on ice vision which make him valuable in a more offensive role, but also has the speed, grittiness and physicality required to play bottom six duties. He was heavily relied upon on the penalty kill, establishing himself as a main stay on the 2nd PK unit (quite a lot of responsibilities for a 21-year-old). Hard to knock of the puck and showing maturity way beyond his age, we are exited to see how he will contribute in the future.

Grade: A+

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
http://www.bearshockeyblog.com/from-cska-to-ska-player-performance-review-part-1-forwards/

Patrick Bjorkstrand, RW: 8 GP, 0 G, 2 A.
Few would have thought that the Danish national team player would bring such an impact to the team. Primarily seen by many just as a necessary signing to satisfy the required number of U-22 players on the roster, he slowly started proving everyone wrong as soon as training camp started. Bjorkstrand has just excelled in these 8 games making excellent use of his ice time. He found a way to contribute in each line he was put in (and he has been moved around a lot, having played on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line). Bjorkstrand has a high hockey IQ, great hands and on ice vision which make him valuable in a more offensive role, but also has the speed, grittiness and physicality required to play bottom six duties. He was heavily relied upon on the penalty kill, establishing himself as a main stay on the 2nd PK unit (quite a lot of responsibilities for a 21-year-old). Hard to knock of the puck and showing maturity way beyond his age, we are exited to see how he will contribute in the future.

Grade: A+

Wow that is actually a fantastic positive review of his play. He has surpassed all expectations. It actually sounds like he can make a more permanent career in KHL even after when he passes the U-22 limit.

Medvescak won again - 4-0 over Avangard - and is now in the upper part of the west division (6'th position).
Fans must be pretty wild in Zagreb :nod:

ficohok*

Wow that is actually a fantastic positive review of his play. He has surpassed all expectations. It actually sounds like he can make a more permanent career in KHL even after when he passes the U-22 limit.

Medvescak won again - 4-0 over Avangard - and is now in the upper part of the west division (6'th position).
Fans must be pretty wild in Zagreb :nod:

Overall opinion here is that he should stay regardless of his age (wont be U22 next season) :)

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
Patrick Bjorkstrand scored his first goal in KHL. he blocked a shot and started a turnover.

very nice goal. i will ad a link to highlights after the game.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Patrick Bjorkstrand scored his first goal in KHL. he blocked a shot and started a turnover.

very nice goal. i will ad a link to highlights after the game.

He scored to 6-0. Look forward to see it, when you find a link.
He played on the 4'th line and 1 goal of 4 shots, played 12 min.
So Medvescak has an incredible 3-0, 4-0, 6-0 streak the last three games.

ficohok*

Another point for Bjorkstrand...this time asist. Now he has 5 pts in 15 games. Very good !

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Actually "Patrick" only played for 7.43 min that match on the 3'rd line, but still had a hand in the victory 3-2 OT victory over Dinamo Minsk with the assist to 2-2 and also getting 2 shots off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad