Danes in KHL.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Since only Danish-Russian Kirill Starkov have played a short stint in KHL for CSKA Moskva in 2008/09 (18 games), it has been a "no-mans land" for Danish players until now.

Patrick Bjørkstrand has signed with the Croatian debutant KHL-team Medvescak Zagreb as one of the two obligatory young players on the team.
Source: http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/patrick-bjorkstrand-skifter-til-khl

If Peter Regin doesn't get a new contract in NHL, then he has reported offers from several KHL teams, so it might end with a new Danish surge east.
Edit: Same minute I learn that Regin signed with NYI, so Patrick Bjørkstrand has to wait for the surge to follow him!

ficohok*

Since only Danish-Russian Kirill Starkov have played a short stint in KHL for CSKA Moskva in 2008/09 (18 games), it has been a "no-mans land" for Danish players until now.

Patrick Bjørkstrand has signed with the Croatian debutant KHL-team Medvescak Zagreb as one of the two obligatory young players on the team.
Source: http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/patrick-bjorkstrand-skifter-til-khl

If Peter Regin doesn't get a new contract in NHL, then he has reported offers from several KHL teams, so it might end with a new Danish surge east.
Edit: Same minute I learn that Regin signed with NYI, so Patrick Bjørkstrand has to wait for the surge to follow him!

Today scored his first two goals (added two assists) in pre-season game against Olimpija. In first game against Torpedo he played well, got some PP and PK time. Served as 13th forward and played on three diffirent lines during that game.

Next game for him and Medvescak on Saturday (17th) against Vityaz.

Last edited by a moderator:

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
what about Hardt? Jokerit joins khl in 2014/2015 season

In theory, if the KHL lifts nationality restrictions after Sochi, Jokerit could build a good team by having essentially first crack at Finns AND Swedes/Danes that aren't good enough for the NHL or are lower level NHL guys looking for more playing time/money/to be closer to home.

I'm not super familiar with Danish hockey aside from the mini-explosion of guys into the NHL, what is the non NHL contingent of Danes like? Is their domestic league improving? How about the Danes in the SEL?

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
In theory, if the KHL lifts nationality restrictions after Sochi, Jokerit could build a good team by having essentially first crack at Finns AND Swedes/Danes that aren't good enough for the NHL or are lower level NHL guys looking for more playing time/money/to be closer to home.

I'm not super familiar with Danish hockey aside from the mini-explosion of guys into the NHL, what is the non NHL contingent of Danes like? Is their domestic league improving? How about the Danes in the SEL?

We used to have quote a few sel players but are severely lacking in that area. We have some in finland and Germany and the second best swedish league...

We have frederik andersen and the lauridsen in the ahl.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Today scored his first two goals (added two assists) in pre-season game against Olimpija. In first game against Torpedo he played well, got some PP and PK time. Served as 13th forward and played on three diffirent lines during that game.

Next game for him and Medvescak on Saturday (17th) against Vityaz.

Great start for him then! Hope he can improve his standing then from 13'th forward to regular when the season starts.
Thanks for the updates :)

ficohok*

There's already a rumour that Bjorkstrand will be loaned to Ljubljana in the EBEL:

http://www.ekipa.org/2013/08/sami-svoji-gospodarji/

That is just a rumor, and 99% it won't happen. First, IIHF denied cooperation attempts between Medvescak and Olimpija.

Second, he is one of the several U22 players on the roster and third he is better than Gal Koren (same birth year as Bjorkstrand), so there is a little to no chance that he is going anywhere. He will be the "Bear" for a season. :)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That is just a rumor, and 99% it won't happen. First, IIHF denied cooperation attempts between Medvescak and Olimpija.

Second, he is one of the several U22 players on the roster and third he is better than Gal Koren (same birth year as Bjorkstrand), so there is a little to no chance that he is going anywhere. He will be the "Bear" for a season. :)

there can be "classic" loans among clubs. Medvescak/Olimpija wanted something else, if I understand.

I can agree with second paragraph

ficohok*

there can be "classic" loans among clubs. Medvescak/Olimpija wanted something else, if I understand.

I can agree with second paragraph

True, but that classic loan would cost Olimpija four points (you know probably that in EBEL you have 60 available points to build roster, and every player is worth diffirent amount of points, from 0 to 4, depends on age, is he NT player, foreginer...). As Bjorkstrand would be foreginer in Olimpija, he would cost them four points and it is question whether Olimpija would take a risk with him.

As I said, Koren would be better candidate for loan, as he wouldn't count as foreginer in Olimpija. :)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Aha, I did not know about points in EBEL... that is news for me. It make sense not to loan Bjorkstrand. At the moment, he is not at active roster of Medvescak. Of course, it can be changed in following days.

ficohok*

Aha, I did not know about points in EBEL... that is news for me. It make sense not to loan Bjorkstrand. At the moment, he is not at active roster of Medvescak. Of course, it can be changed in following days.

How do you mean ? AFAIK he is on active roster...:dunno:

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
maybe its better for him to get good ice-time in EBEL then being 13th/14th forward in KHL. an classic loan to olympia would be an option.

ficohok*

maybe its better for him to get good ice-time in EBEL then being 13th/14th forward in KHL. an classic loan to olympia would be an option.

Read my previous post about "classic" loan. ;-) And he will play in 4th line, was good against Torpedo, and after all he needs to be on roster because we need two U22 players.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So Medvescak Zagreb begins its first match tomorrow in the KHL against CSKA Moskva. But according to the KHL homepage Patrick Bjørkstrand is not listed on the team roster; but he is listed on the Medvescak homepage!?
Eliteprospect.com has him rumoured to be loaned to Olimpija Ljubljana.

So I guess we will have to wait for tomorrows game to see if he is in or out of the team?!

ficohok*

So Medvescak Zagreb begins its first match tomorrow in the KHL against CSKA Moskva. But according to the KHL homepage Patrick Bjørkstrand is not listed on the team roster; but he is listed on the Medvescak homepage!?
Eliteprospect.com has him rumoured to be loaned to Olimpija Ljubljana.

So I guess we will have to wait for tomorrows game to see if he is in or out of the team?!

I don't know why he is not listed on KHL homepage, but I have inside information that he will be on tonight roster along with Koren and Vasiljević (Patrick and Koren as U22, and Vasiljević as NT).

Game starts at 17.30, you can find stream at http://sportska-tv.com/

Loan rumor to Olimpija dates back when Olimpija and Medvescak tried to deal cooperation.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I don't know why he is not listed on KHL homepage, but I have inside information that he will be on tonight roster along with Koren and Vasiljević (Patrick and Koren as U22, and Vasiljević as NT).

Game starts at 17.30, you can find stream at http://sportska-tv.com/

Loan rumor to Olimpija dates back when Olimpija and Medvescak tried to deal cooperation.

P. Bjørkstrand is playing the 2. Line for todays game against CSKA. Going great for the debutants. Second period and 3-0. No points for Bjørkstrand yet, but has one shot on goal according to the KHL homepage.
End of second period and 4-1 to medvescak. Bjørkstrand with 2 shots on goal. Really looks like a surprise victory!
Game ended with a massive 7-1 victory. Bjørkstrand and the second line played very little in the third period so no extra shots on goal or points for him. But what a start for the croat team!

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Great to see Danes trying to get into KHL system,maybe the ultimate goal is to take away that job from norwegians? :sarcasm:

ficohok*

P. Bjørkstrand is playing the 2. Line for todays game against CSKA. Going great for the debutants. Second period and 3-0. No points for Bjørkstrand yet, but has one shot on goal according to the KHL homepage.
End of second period and 4-1 to medvescak. Bjørkstrand with 2 shots on goal. Really looks like a surprise victory!
Game ended with a massive 7-1 victory. Bjørkstrand and the second line played very little in the third period so no extra shots on goal or points for him. But what a start for the croat team!

Bjorkstrand played in line with Murray and Jessiman. They have had very hard task as they were matched up against Radulov's line. When Patrick signed for us, I read comment on one Sweden site that he is lazy sometimes, but so far (I watched him in three games since he joined) he didn't show any kind of lazyness, au contre, it seems that he is really hard-working guy. He and his line did very good job five on five against CSKA top line. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RALvL-H9_u8 Game

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Bjorkstrand played in line with Murray and Jessiman. They have had very hard task as they were matched up against Radulov's line. When Patrick signed for us, I read comment on one Sweden site that he is lazy sometimes, but so far (I watched him in three games since he joined) he didn't show any kind of lazyness, au contre, it seems that he is really hard-working guy. He and his line did very good job five on five against CSKA top line. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RALvL-H9_u8 Game

Thanks for your Bjørkstrand report :)
So it seems that Bjørkstrand and the second line did a very good job to prevent Radulov and Co from scoring.
I haven't seen him playing for Mora, but during the world championship he was definitely not lazy when playing for the Danish NT. Actually he was almost overeager and showed the will to win by hard work.
Maybe it was just because of youth he needed the transition from Denmark to Sweden to become a full professional - working hard every time.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Great to see Danes trying to get into KHL system,maybe the ultimate goal is to take away that job from norwegians? :sarcasm:

It would be impossible for almost any nation to remove Thoresen from the roster; but to even the "score" by having at least as many players as them in KHL would be the immediate goal! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad