Danbury Whalers booted from arena

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
My hole thing is everyone knows worcester is looking for a new tenant cheap and with danbury losing there home it would be a oppertunity to sell the franchise . iwas thinking that worcester or a NHL franchise looking for a affliate in AA would jump at that chance and move them to the only market open to make sence.

No one would have to buy Danbury to get an ECHL team. They could just apply for an expansion team. Since the ECHL wants to get to 30 teams, that leaves 2 openings right now. Plus any others that open over the summer due to folding, ect.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
My hole thing is everyone knows worcester is looking for a new tenant cheap and with danbury losing there home it would be a oppertunity to sell the franchise . iwas thinking that worcester or a NHL franchise looking for a affliate in AA would jump at that chance and move them to the only market open to make sence.

To quote the old lady in the eSurance ad, "That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works".

I'm just laughing at the idea of the DCU Center hosting an FHL franchise. And crying a little.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Wheeling is some 5 in change. Most of them are bigger. Johnstown was some 4K. I've never understood the point of bigger buildings. Most of these teams never fill them. Better off having 4-5K arenas and trying to filling up then having a 10K and a few thousand empty seats.

Johnstown was too small a market to consistently fill a 4,000-seater... while there were markets who could fill more seats. The real issue is an opportunity cost for a potential owner. That Wheeling has survived this long... I don't know what that says, really.

Thing is, I agree with you to a degree. But if you're going to have 4,000 seats, you better also have luxury suites. Capacity is only 5,000 in Boise, and I'd say the announced attendance numbers are padded... HOWEVER, because the business community buys up the suites and enough of the club seats, the Steelheads will probably live past what the attendance sell-by date would indicate.

The reason for the AHL to really go out west is because Stockton and Bakersfield and Ontario could get good crowds in somewhat larger buildings... and you know the business-friendly revenue enhancers are also involved in newer buildings. So NOW the ECHL presence out west (exception: Utah) are in that 5-6K range of capacities, and Alaska and Idaho have proved staying power and Colorado only recently lost their sellout streak from the beginning of the Eagles.

Heck, I see the NAHL in Wenatchee, a 4,200-seater with suites, they do well considering there's never been a real regional rival. I know some NAHL teams are in 1,000-seat barns. Danbury's rink seems a lot more suited to NAHL IMO. It should be obvious by now that the Fed has never really been sustainable if Danbury is booted... and they've been the only real survivor from Day 1. I know dropping from pro to junior probably antagonizes some Danbury fans, but the alternatives aren't pretty by any means.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I'd love to see what their standards are though because I'm still trying to figure out how Elmira got in.

They joined the league 8 years ago so standards have likely changed/become more solidified in that time. Also, the Jackals were doing fairly well before joining. Over their first seven years ,they averaged 3,311 (87.5% capacity).

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Johnstown was too small a market to consistently fill a 4,000-seater... while there were markets who could fill more seats. The real issue is an opportunity cost for a potential owner. That Wheeling has survived this long... I don't know what that says, really.

Thing is, I agree with you to a degree. But if you're going to have 4,000 seats, you better also have luxury suites. Capacity is only 5,000 in Boise, and I'd say the announced attendance numbers are padded... HOWEVER, because the business community buys up the suites and enough of the club seats, the Steelheads will probably live past what the attendance sell-by date would indicate.

The reason for the AHL to really go out west is because Stockton and Bakersfield and Ontario could get good crowds in somewhat larger buildings... and you know the business-friendly revenue enhancers are also involved in newer buildings. So NOW the ECHL presence out west (exception: Utah) are in that 5-6K range of capacities, and Alaska and Idaho have proved staying power and Colorado only recently lost their sellout streak from the beginning of the Eagles.

Heck, I see the NAHL in Wenatchee, a 4,200-seater with suites, they do well considering there's never been a real regional rival. I know some NAHL teams are in 1,000-seat barns. Danbury's rink seems a lot more suited to NAHL IMO. It should be obvious by now that the Fed has never really been sustainable if Danbury is booted... and they've been the only real survivor from Day 1. I know dropping from pro to junior probably antagonizes some Danbury fans, but the alternatives aren't pretty by any means.

The Brooks Bros owned Wheeling for years. Not sure what their interest was but they could afford hits for quite some time. I think Wheeling has suites...not sure. Don't know about Johnstown...want to say no. Elmira has them I know.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The Brooks Bros owned Wheeling for years. Not sure what their interest was but they could afford hits for quite some time. I think Wheeling has suites...not sure. Don't know about Johnstown...want to say no. Elmira has them I know.

As the Hockeyville ads have been all over the broadcasts all weekend, it sure doesn't look like Johnstown added suites. As to your other answers... there you have it. That should answer your standards question.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
As the Hockeyville ads have been all over the broadcasts all weekend, it sure doesn't look like Johnstown added suites. As to your other answers... there you have it. That should answer your standards question.

Johnstown's arena is also decades old that's the only reason why I guessed no. I don't think suites became trendy until the mid 90s. Maybe some AHL older barns have them(well Hershey has relocated to a more modern arena with the Giant center) I don't think Binghamton has them. They may though. But not many. That building is ancient a d dark. It only sits a few hundred more than Elmira. In the higher 4,000s

Sidly

Sep 2, 2014
Harleysville, PA
The Giant Center is gorgeous on the inside. Every time I go the Reeses section is the only area that isnt filled every night. The royals have suites that go all around the arena one being a house.

BrianV

May 12, 2014
Johnstown "Luxury" Boxes

FYI

Johnstown has 3 small suites and 1 party suite above Sections 1 and 2. To call them "luxury" would be a stretch, but they do have padded seats. They were retrofitted during renovations about 10 years ago, but they're more for large groups than for corporate tickets. When the Chiefs played, even with only 4 suites there were some games when they weren't all sold.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Always wondered that. Danbury fabricated attendance big time as the Thrashers though.

No they did not. Ever go to Trashers UHL games? I have, many times when I was covering the Metro NY circuit. Danbury is a short drive from the Northern NYC Suburbs right off I-84. I can honestly say that if they said 2800 or 3000 there was just that. They squeezed people in that arena. They might not all have had bleacher seats but many were crammed along the rink's boards or even watched through windows from the main lobby. The teams owners were very gracious and welcoming. They did things off the hook, probably led to the eventual downfall of the UHL as it was known, but as human beings on a personal level very gracious & welcoming.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
I wish the FHL would just use all the old UHL/IHL names, I think the popularity would increase. I sure hope Port Huron does this and goes with the Flags or Border Cats.

:wave:

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Second that thought on the Trashers in Danbury. Attended about 10-12 games a year, mostly on Friday nights during their heyday, and the place was always packed and rocking.

Hasn't been the same since the UHL folded, but the few times I have gone to see the Whalers, attendance was always respectable.

It will be a shame if pro hockey is forced out of Danbury. Cheap seats, close to the ice, and fun games.

Of course it isn't the NHL, AHL, or ECHL...but is was fun nevertheless. As an ex-season ticket holder at MSG when I lived closer to NYC who sometimes needs a fix of live hockey, Danbury has been a great substitute.

Yes, I know all the negatives about the FHL, but as a hockey fan, I enjoyed going to the Danbury Ice Arena.

The bottom line is the city is just too small for the ECHL and doesn't have an adequate arena for that league, and thus has to settle for the FHL.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The Trashers did very, very well. A lot of old diehard New Haven fans refused to support Hartford or Bport and went with Danbury.

HereComeTheSwords

Mar 15, 2015
Zip Code EIEIO
I wish the FHL would just use all the old UHL/IHL names, I think the popularity would increase. I sure hope Port Huron does this and goes with the Flags or Border Cats.

:wave:

agree 100 percent. The people who owned the Gems nickname in Dayton didn`t want to hand it over to the likes of Barry Soskin, and I can`t say I blame them. But Dayton chose a terrible nickname. Demonz is awful. They originally chose Devils three years ago and got a nice cease and desist letter right away from Lou Lamoriello and company. LOL. So they went with Demonz. Whatever.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
What I meant is the attendance suggested that arena had more seating than it really did. The attendance may have been real but they misled people with it that their building could truly hold that many people. Maybe held 3K doing what they did but no league like the ECHL would even consider that setup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad