Danbury Whalers booted from arena

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
Not good...some of the old CHL fans will rejoice with this 'silly' season in the FHL.

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
Well I hope Port Huron is paying attention. They will wish they had the NAHL back.:teach2:

The flagship team of the league gets kicked out of their arena, Steel City still exists, and about half of the league is owned by one person. This league is looking more and more like the All-American Hockey League. :shakehead

I wouldn't have minded the NAHL back in Port Huron. I liked that level of hockey, and at least the NAHL is stable. Probably could have got the Michigan Warriors for a decent price too.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
Well

I think Mr. Sorcher is being a tad disingenuous. With his involvement in the new franchise in MA, the Berkshire Battalion, along with one of the other owners, I suspect there was a financial strain on the partnership that owns the Whalers.

Esposito worked very hard at keeping the players focused despite a host of issues all related to the finances of the organization. I'm not sure he always succeeded but not for the lack of effort.

The arena position concerning it's agreement with the Whalers ownership has been a relatively open secret in Danbury for a while.

IT may work itself out but I wouldn't be surprised to see the current ownership take over the Berkshire franchise full time (from 'the league') and a local businessman or group purchasing the Whalers and keeping them in Danbury.

Don't let the avg. attendance stats mislead you. While an average attendance of 1650 people is decent not all were paying full price. In the handful of games I saw there were always some group or groups being recognized and I'd imagine that there were a number of tickets being 'comp'd' for that. Not to mention player comp's, and advertiser or sponsor comp's.

Not trying to suggest you need to feel sorry for any of the parties to this entertainment circus but there's probably a lot more at play here than just hockey in Danbury.

F1

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
With the NAHL rumored to be moving into the Northeast with franchises in Scranton, the NYC metro, New Hampshire, and Lewiston, Danbury is about to be right in the middle of the NAHL's new division. Maybe the DIA thinks it can be in play and prefers the (relative) stability of the NAHL over the problems of the FHL? Thoughts?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
With the NAHL rumored to be moving into the Northeast with franchises in Scranton, the NYC metro, New Hampshire, and Lewiston, Danbury is about to be right in the middle of the NAHL's new division. Maybe the DIA thinks it can be in play and prefers the (relative) stability of the NAHL over the problems of the FHL? Thoughts?

Exchanging fourth-tier pro for third-tier juniors? No thanks.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

I can't even fathom how many people the NAHL is NOT GOING TO DRAW in Scranton.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
For some people, the Penguins are too far away since the arena is in Wilkes-Barre.

And, I thought this was about Danville, not Danbury, so that's why I mentioned the Wings.

Never going to work NAHL in Scranton. Get on I81 and you won't drink one sip of coffee before you are there.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Think about this what if Danbury puts the team up for sale And a open market in the north east that the ahl westward expansion left open purchases the team, Like hint hint Worcester maybe . New Echl team could happen.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Think about this what if Danbury puts the team up for sale And a open market in the north east that the ahl westward expansion left open purchases the team, Like hint hint Worcester maybe . New Echl team could happen.

It would be the smallest arena in the E, correct?

Suites? Probably every western ECHL arena (some of which are now AHL arenas) but Anchorage has revenue enhancers.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
It would be the smallest arena in the E, correct?

Suites? Probably every western ECHL arena (some of which are now AHL arenas) but Anchorage has revenue enhancers.

I'm not sure Elmira is small i think it only sits 4200 . i'm not sure how much worcester sits but there are small arenas in the E the average size is 7200 i think seating capacity

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Wheeling is some 5 in change. Most of them are bigger. Johnstown was some 4K. I've never understood the point of bigger buildings. Most of these teams never fill them. Better off having 4-5K arenas and trying to filling up then having a 10K and a few thousand empty seats.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

What? What does an FHL franchise, be it Danbury or otherwise, have to do with an ECHL franchise in Worcester?

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
What? What does an FHL franchise, be it Danbury or otherwise, have to do with an ECHL franchise in Worcester?

My hole thing is everyone knows worcester is looking for a new tenant cheap and with danbury losing there home it would be a oppertunity to sell the franchise . iwas thinking that worcester or a NHL franchise looking for a affliate in AA would jump at that chance and move them to the only market open to make sence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad