Recalled/Assigned: Dan Renouf recalled

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Actually wanted to see him get a look, glad they are giving so many guys a look with how the season went. I think this is defenseman #12 that has played for us so far this year?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's a completely random comment. What made you ask that here if all places?

In the movie in his first tournament the announcers say his name then turn to each other and say "who the hell is Happy Gilmore", since he came from out of nowhere.

So basically silky was likening that to Renouf getting called up.

And that's my movie quote translating for the day.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The guy that in my opinion cost us James De Haas... I don't like him as much as De Haas but I shouldn't really hold that against him. Reminds me a decent amount of DeKeyser. Big guy that skates pretty well, but stinks at offense and needs to battle just a little harder.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't they play the same style of sorts.

Very similar players, I think De Haas is a better skater with a better offensive feel. But he isn't as physical as Renouf. Still they are the modern bottom pairing kind of defender. Big guys that skate well but aren't necessarily dynamic in any real aspect.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Nick Jensen is looking like a second pairing, 4. It's only been like 25-30 games though.
Danny DeKeyser is a second pairing guy
Mike Green is probably a number two D. He's been awesome.
Ericsson's play this year was awesome until his last few games. Played like a 4.
Niklas Kronwall still has an IQ, but is a bottom pairing guy
Xavier Ouellet to me is interesting. Right partner he can play on pairing 2, but more so a 3 right now. Took the next step IMO
Not a Ryan Sproul fan. Third pairing
Robbie Russo has been invisible, which is a good thing. Third pairing guy. Defensive game has been surprising. I thought he'd get torched.
Alexey Marchenko's injuries slowed him down, again. Was a third pairing guy.
Brendan Smith was a 4 or a 5. Depends which Smithy showed up. I think we've actually been better with him gone and the minutes to Jensen.

Bring in a number one, and the team isn't awful on the backend IMO.

1 - ???
2- Green
3 - DeKeyser
4 - Jensen
5 - Ericsson/XO
6 - Kronwall

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
That is my thought as well. The red wings are not that bad. They have a ton of very solid players just not enough at the top end. When people say the defense is awful but if they had a true number one you wouldn't hear that at all.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The guy that in my opinion cost us James De Haas... I don't like him as much as De Haas but I shouldn't really hold that against him. Reminds me a decent amount of DeKeyser. Big guy that skates pretty well, but stinks at offense and needs to battle just a little harder.

I havent seen De Haas play but he didnt exactly light the world on fire offensively until this year he was solid. But Renouf actually came out of college early and had a very solid year in GR while De Haas was still in college.

I dont tihnk either are much more than a number 4 defensive guy at absolute best and likely bottom pair but Renouf is no slouch. He skates really well for a stay at home guy. I dont know what youo mean by battle harder because before Mcilrath showed up he was consistently the most physical guy on defense in GR (Hicketts throws big hits, but isnt consistent physically). Hes also the only guy that really defends his teammates and his goalie on that entire team. Hes not a heavyweight but hes a guy that will step up and stop someone like Mantha from having to fight at least.

2 big guys that can skate and arent going to produce much offense at the NHL level. I'll always take the one that plays with an edge and sticks up for his teammates on a team as soft as the wings.

That is my thought as well. The red wings are not that bad. They have a ton of very solid players just not enough at the top end. When people say the defense is awful but if they had a true number one you wouldn't hear that at all.

Yep if the wings had a number 1 quality guy that played 25 minutes, the wings defense would be fine. Its obviously a hard piece to find but the wings draft really well for how late they are to find good contributors. Just havent got that number 1 stud yet

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Renouf has a decent shot but Dmen in GRG have a hard time as the team plays a lot of PP with 5 forwards

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Last night, he made one bad play where he fumbled the puck in the zone, but it didn't lead to a goal so no harm, no foul. Didn't notice him the rest of the game, which is good.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Solid debut for the kid, not scared to be physical and didn't try to be overly-physical. Couple sloppy plays but noting crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad