Confirmed with Link: Dan Hamhuis comes back to smashville for 2 years

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Perfect. They got him really cheap... almost a little too cheap. Unfairly cheap. But they got him. And I think this will help the D soooooo much. In a lot of ways.

Not good news for Irwin and Weber who see ice reduced or Bitetto if he ends up on waivers, of course. But it should be very good for everybody else. Get him some PK time to offload the big 4. Hopefully he brings some veteran leadership to help in the room. And then next year, I like the idea of a Hamhuis-Fabbro pairing.

All assuming Hamhuis can still play, of course. His numbers from Dallas last year suggest he can, so it's clearly an acceptable risk to take regardless. Age happens. If he drops off further, well, they still had to try this, it has been sooooo obvious for soooo long. :)

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
a good signing. another left defenseman. and us with two left defensemen extras (irwin, bitetto). probably puts weber as the frontrunner for the third pair RW at least at first, him being the only natural right d-man we have. surely we plan on dealing someone and don't plan on carrying 8 d-men again all year (again).

Last edited:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Great signing and just what I thought the team needed.

Hamhuis averaged 20 mins/night in Dallas and didn't do too poorly, and since that's something he won't have to do here I think he'll do well.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
That Orpik deal last night sure helped us out.

Nice signing anyways, just what we've been hoping for. Thinking he might adapt to our system a bit better than Emelin, but just a fine bottom-pair d-man who played well in Dallas in the top-4.

Love it that it's two years, great mentor/partner for Fabbro in a year.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
i guess tuesday nights aren't so bad here, huh?

Predators Sign Defenseman Dan Hamhuis to Two-Year Contract

1.5 million for the first year, 1 million for the second year. great signing, poile. what a lot of us talked about but cheaper.
Guess not.

I'm getting a little bit tired of the old "bring in the old guys for one last hurrah in gold" thing*. Even though I love seeing the guys playing on their rightful team, it really hasn't benefitted us that much that I can see. The odd "great" goal here and there, but is it worth filling a roster spot that could be taken by some of the youth? Not so sure it is.

*Unless Poile signs Vokoun for, say, $1m. I'm cool with helping fund however many retirements he wants.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh the thing is it's not like the last two, Hartnell and now Hamhuis, weren't done to fill a need Poile thought we had. Hartnell was supposed to be that net front guy we lacked on the PP, and if I recall early it worked and then Lavi went away from it.

Hamhuis in much the same way fills a need, a good solid #5 Dman that keeps us from rolling Weber/Irwin out every game. He can move up in a pinch and might be able to take some of the work load off of the other Dmen.

If he was just signing him because he was a former Pred and there really wasnt a need for the player I would agree, but this one makes sense.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Guess not.

I'm getting a little bit tired of the old "bring in the old guys for one last hurrah in gold" thing*. Even though I love seeing the guys playing on their rightful team, it really hasn't benefitted us that much that I can see. The odd "great" goal here and there, but is it worth filling a roster spot that could be taken by some of the youth? Not so sure it is.

*Unless Poile signs Vokoun for, say, $1m. I'm cool with helping fund however many retirements he wants.

I agree with you in theory but in this case it makes sense. Hammer is (hopefully) better than any third pair D we have on the roster and there isn't a young player ready to play at the NHL level yet. I don't see anybody in the pipeline that is going to be held back by this move.

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Cool, the We're Getting the Band Back Together, Man 2018 - 2019 Tour has kicked off.

I like the signing but then again it also means someone has to play paper, rock, scissors to get their old jersey number back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad