Player Discussion Dan Girardi Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I prefer Giradi over Staal. Think Giradi if sheltered on the bottom pair can still be effective. Staal I think is a liability when he is out there and does not bring anything to the table anymore.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was easy.

Well, no, its not. What about comparing Jesper Fast and Ryan McDonagh? They are both mostly liked, does that mean they are comparable?

Any compliment you think you are paying to Girardi is wiped away, if you are comparing him to Glass. Its highly disrespectful, so if anything, its a complete backhanded compliment, which might be the intention of some.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I keep seeing stuff like "Well Glass and Girardi are playing well....for them."

Whats with the jabs like that? Are people that insecure where they want to be right about how horrendous Glass and Girardi are over the long-term that they can't even give credit where credit is due?

Because, in reality, Glass and Girardi aren't just playing well by their standards - they are in the upper-echelon of Ranger playoff performers so far in general.

Not saying those aren't backhanded compliments, but a player is most often compared to his own body of work. It wouldn't make much sense for someone to say, "Hey you know guys, it may appear Girardi is playing well but compared to what Ryan Ellis is doing in Nashville, he's actually still horrible." Or rather comparing him to his own teammates, especially those who are playing very poorly like Staal, saying he's playing better than them isn't really saying much.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I guess if you don't understand the point people are making, and holy overreaction. You act like Girardi's getting his jersey retired, calm down.

You responded to me, so you were the one that had an objection to what I said. I wasn't responding directly to you, but if you want to raise your hand, thats your choice.

I'm aware the point people are trying to make, but its still disrespectful, and that might be on purpose. If anyone wants to compliment Girardi, they shouldn't do it with some equalization to Glass. Thats the point I am making. There's no overreaction. I am making a point. Do you want to address it or not?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why are people grouping Glass with Girardi?

Girardi's has had an excellent career, got first place Norris votes at one point, he's in many Rangers record books.

Glass has always been a fourth liner, even at his best, and his contribution has always been questionable, to say the least. He's bounced around five teams trying to play maybe the smallest role on any NHL team.

And there should also be no comparison in their current play. Glass played most of the season in the AHL, wasn't even one of a bad AHL team's better players. His call up as opposed to Hrivik was questionable, in the first place. There are a few other forwards as well who were playing better hockey.

Girardi played on the first pair for an 100 point NHL team, and I think most would admit he did reasonably well. And those that usually complained about him have moved onto new targets like Holden, Staal, Klein to complain about, so that at least speaks to something about his play.

I know some don't like Girardi, but don't disrespect him like that, comparing him to Glass. There is no comparison other than that they are disliked by portions of the fan base.

Because, for the last 2 seasons, I've read posts almost every day trying to hammer home a point that this team would be on easy street if only they got rid of Glass and Girardi. The irony that these 2 are amongst the best players for the Rangers so far in the playoffs is delicious.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
gotta give credit, since that game 2 in OTT he's been pretty damn good, i don't bother to look up the advanced stats or really care what they say. he's been solid.

playing a trap team like ottawa actually helps him I think. doesn't have to worry about heavy forechecking pressure. he's actually made some good breakout passes these past 2 games because again ottawa doesn't really forecheck.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because, for the last 2 seasons, I've read posts almost every day trying to hammer home a point that this team would be on easy street if only they got rid of Glass and Girardi. The irony that these 2 are amongst the best players for the Rangers so far in the playoffs is delicious.

So if you've disagreed with that point about Girardi, why are you willing to give him an intentional backhanded compliment? You know it is. No one thinks Glass is now a legit NHL'er because he's had a few games that would be expected of an NHL fourth liner. People don't all of a sudden think Glass is an NHL player. It only does more damage to Girardi's reputation. But maybe you don't disagree with the criticism the last year of Girardi, and its purposeful. I don't know, it seems to me that its clear how it comes off. I don't know why anyone that has good intentions with their compliment towards him would try to equalize Girardi and Glass.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
"Why can't people give credit to Glass and Girardi without referencing their former play?"

**Moment later**

"YOU WERE ALL WRONG!"

Well I can't crack this mystery.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Girardi and Glass put together a couple great games, and now the same old point of "the team needs guys like them on it"

No, they don't. There is mounds of evidence that prove otherwise.

They've both played well in this series, and that's great for the team, and for us fans

But let's pump the breaks a little on them. They're playing well against a team that fits their current style of play (Ottawa is slow, and doesn't do a ton of forechecking)

Get back to me in the next round when they're playing the Pens/Caps, and Girardi becomes a turnstile again because he is too slow

"Why can't people give credit to Glass and Girardi without referencing their former play?"

**Moment later**

"YOU WERE ALL WRONG!"

Lol, pretty much nails it

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
G only had 17 min. ice time last night that is 3 min. less compare to G3 - should we be worried? I admit sometimes AV confuse me, but maybe I get easily confused. :)

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Glass has been among the best players in the playoffs?

tenor.gif

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

**Moment later**

"YOU WERE ALL WRONG!"

I think that Glass has looked good since he was called up, frankly. Girardi has had a decent playoffs, but he was largely terrible all season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So if you've disagreed with that point about Girardi, why are you willing to give him an intentional backhanded compliment? You know it is. No one thinks Glass is now a legit NHL'er because he's had a few games that would be expected of an NHL fourth liner. People don't all of a sudden think Glass is an NHL player. It only does more damage to Girardi's reputation. But maybe you don't disagree with the criticism the last year of Girardi, and its purposeful. I don't know, it seems to me that its clear how it comes off. I don't know why anyone that has good intentions with their compliment towards him would try to equalize Girardi and Glass.

I get that you're upset that Pavel was scratched for Glass again. Personally I think Pavel has acquitted himself pretty well when given the chance. What you don't seem to get is that Glass has played pretty damned well too and has made a positive impact when he's gotten his chance in the playoffs. In fact he played a crucial role in our first win against Montreal and our last two wins against Ottawa. It's really not even deniable.He's been very much a part of the action on 4 goals the 4th line has scored in the limited action of the 5 games he's played. He's also hammered the **** out of the opposition. Last night he was inside their heads about as inside as he could go. For some reason you can't give Glass credit here for anything. That's not the problem of the other posters here---that's your problem.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The gaunt face, the goatee, the five o'clock shadow. He's nailing the weary vet who has been to hell and back look.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I get that you're upset that Pavel was scratched for Glass again. Personally I think Pavel has acquitted himself pretty well when given the chance. What you don't seem to get is that Glass has played pretty damned well too and has made a positive impact when he's gotten his chance in the playoffs. In fact he played a crucial role in our first win against Montreal and our last two wins against Ottawa. It's really not even deniable.He's been very much a part of the action on 4 goals the 4th line has scored in the limited action of the 5 games he's played. He's also hammered the **** out of the opposition. Last night he was inside their heads about as inside as he could go. For some reason you can't give Glass credit here for anything. That's not the problem of the other posters here---that's your problem.

What? I said nothing about that.

All I said was that being equalized to Glass is no compliment, regardless of his production or lack of production. Being compared to Glass will not be favorable, unless he has some late career resurgence to take away from his previous reputation that he's carried for his whole career. No one regards Glass's NHL career highly now because of the last few games. Is he getting some more praise from fans? Yes, but that doesn't mean its not a back handed compliment to Girardi to compare him to Glass.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Glad the one game sample size is helping you make decisions then.

Some say this, but I can't understand what standard they judge him by.

I think Vesey's looked a lot better defensively in the playoffs, compared to the second half of the regular season where he was bad offensively and even worse defensively. Saying that, he has 3 points in 10 games playing every single game in the top 9, I think he played nearly every game with Stepan and Nash. And his minutes are up about a full minute from the regular season. Stepan and Nash have both underperformed in this playoffs and people note that all the time, yet they each have 5 points, Vesey has 3 playing with them. No one ever even mentions him.

So all I'm wondering is how we are supposed to judge this guy. Is it offensively? Defensively? I'm perplexed how his position where he is playing in the lineup is never under threat. Jesper Fast lets say can put up similar offensive production with even better defense, yet people always complain about him playing in the top 9. And rightly so, he's a grinder and should be on line 4 with the other grinders. I'm not even saying Vesey should lose his place in the top 9, I think he has top 9 potential and needs to play what his eventual NHL role would be as opposed to bumping up grinders who might be slightly more effective, but I can never be sure what standard people are judging him by. Its almost like he's not judged, and just gets a 6 or 7 out of 10 from fans for no reason with no logical explanation that can ever be explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad