Dan Girardi: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
gap control excellent? he let's guy walk in so far! ovechkin did it twice in the eastern semis

Speaking of the eastern semis--Game 6 Caps ahead in the series 3 games to two--can finish the series at home.

Caps had 7:40 of PWP time in game 6. Ovechkin plays 6:55 seconds of that or just about all of it. Ovechkin scores no points in game 6--none 5 on 5--none on the PWP. Girardi plays 5:59 of the PK for the Rangers. McDonagh is second with 4:00. That's an astounding amount of PK time in a do or die game in the opponents arena for the Rangers and the Rangers win 4-3--go back to MSG for game 7 and beat the Caps in OT to take the series.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Girardi deserves part of the credit for all of the success the team has had, so yeah... I credit Girardi for making it to the ECF. He didn't do it alone. But they did it, so he did it.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Speaking of the eastern semis--Game 6 Caps ahead in the series 3 games to two--can finish the series at home.

Caps had 7:40 of PWP time in game 6. Ovechkin plays 6:55 seconds of that or just about all of it. Ovechkin scores no points in game 6--none 5 on 5--none on the PWP. Girardi plays 5:59 of the PK for the Rangers. McDonagh is second with 4:00. That's an astounding amount of PK time in a do or die game in the opponents arena for the Rangers and the Rangers win 4-3--go back to MSG for game 7 and beat the Caps in OT to take the series.

That's because G is one of the best penalty killers in the league. It allows him to play to his strong suits.

BleedingBlue94

Mar 3, 2015

Yeah I never said anything about penalty kill. I'm saying his gap control is awful.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
gap control excellent? he let's guy walk in so far! ovechkin did it twice in the eastern semis

OK, so you are using one of the fastest, most physical PF's in the game right now AND using just TWO examples as proof that his gap control is weak?

:laugh:

:shakehead

Question, were they the ONLY two shifts AO played against Girardi?

BleedingBlue94

Mar 3, 2015
OK, so you are using one of the fastest, most physical PF's in the game right now AND using just TWO examples as proof that his gap control is weak?

:laugh:

:shakehead

Question, were they the ONLY two shifts AO played against Girardi?

I'm using 2 recent/memorable ones. I don't care who the other guy is. How about the Kucherov OT goal? There's another example

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There was a major gap control issue on the play that Ovechkin using Dan Boyle as a a screen shot it through his legs and over Lundqvist's shoulder. Which is why AV did his damnedest to make sure that Boyle and Ovechkin were hardly ever on the ice at the same time.

Ovechkin was 1-1-2 in game 1--1-0-1 in game 2--was 0-0-0 in games 3,4,5 and 6 of the series--was 1-0-1 in game 7. 3 goals 1 assist in a 7 game series and he got tons of power play time. Shutout completely in 4 straight games and the defensive pair he saw the most by far was McDonagh and Girardi and the Caps tendency was to line him up directly against Girardi. And one of the 3 goals he scored was on Boyle. He's the most dynamic goal scorer in the league and he played really hard in that series and yet the Rangers were able to control him pretty well. They controlled Backstrom as well--2 assists for the series. Joel Ward put up the most points in the series for the Caps--he played mostly against some other defensive pairing.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
There was a major gap control issue on the play that Ovechkin using Dan Boyle as a a screen shot it through his legs and over Lundqvist's shoulder. Which is why AV did his damnedest to make sure that Boyle and Ovechkin were hardly ever on the ice at the same time.

Ovechkin was 1-1-2 in game 1--1-0-1 in game 2--was 0-0-0 in games 3,4,5 and 6 of the series--was 1-0-1 in game 7. 3 goals 1 assist in a 7 game series and he got tons of power play time. Shutout completely in 4 straight games and the defensive pair he saw the most by far was McDonagh and Girardi and the Caps tendency was to line him up directly against Girardi. And one of the 3 goals he scored was on Boyle. He's the most dynamic goal scorer in the league and he played really hard in that series and yet the Rangers were able to control him pretty well. They controlled Backstrom as well--2 assists for the series. Joel Ward put up the most points in the series for the Caps--he played mostly against some other defensive pairing.

Funny thing about that play was the same exact play that happened to Boyle happened with Ovechkin against Girardi coming down the wing, and Ovechkin ripped a shot to the exact same spot as he did on the goal but Henrik made the save. But no one batted an eye on that. Probably because the puck didnt go in instead of it going in.

BleedingBlue94

Mar 3, 2015
If Girardi was any further left you'd be *****ing he was out of position.

That is not a good example.

Hahahahahahah yeah I'm saying he's far back, if he's as close to Kucherov as girardi he'd get a stick on the puck, not saying to move left.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hahahahahahah yeah I'm saying he's far back, if he's as close to Kucherov as girardi he'd get a stick on the puck, not saying to move left.

Maintaining gap control on the forward in that spot is on McD. The player came in off the RW and had all the room in the world. To try to pin THAT on Girardi is completely agenda driven.

just stop, you're not doing yourself any favors on this particular situation.

Find another example. This one doesn't help you...at all.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Funny thing about that play was the same exact play that happened to Boyle happened with Ovechkin against Girardi coming down the wing, and Ovechkin ripped a shot to the exact same spot as he did on the goal but Henrik made the save. But no one batted an eye on that. Probably because the puck didnt go in instead of it going in.

The difference is a whole series (or even several years worth) playing against Ovechkin for Girardi and pretty much a shift or two for Boyle and there's a puck in the net.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I don't know how a team with Rick Nash getting premier minutes could make to the SCF and ECF back to back if he wasn't good in the playoffs. AV continues to play him and use him in critical situations. I'll trust my eyes and the coach over you. You really expect me to believe this team could be this successful with a guy getting those minutes not contributing?

Yeah, real likely! Get out of town Charlie Brown!

Your right about the coach. AV decided to use Nash in less critical situations around the time he [paraphrasing] said "results matter' in regard to the media's questions about Nash.

The Rangers also made the ECF in 2012. Nash was not here, someone else was though.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'm a Girardi defender on here, but I agree, I'd take most of them over him with the exception of Enstrom and a few others due to contracts or age (Campbell, Phaneuf, Chara). I'd rate Green, Niskanen, and Markov at a comparable but slightly higher value than G. Then again, some of those guys are the best in the world, and I would agree Girardi is overpaid a bit (although due to market conditions).

On a different note, and just curious: what are some other examples of players that are/were generally considered very good, but have poor advanced stats?

So you would take most of them [the other 20] over Girardi, and the other 20 are paid more than Girardi. Hmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad