Dan Girardi Part II

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Girardi has played tremendous hockey the last couple weeks. Glad to hear he's okay. He's had a rough season, but seems to be coming into gear at the perfect time.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/

'Usage adjusted' adjusts for ZS, QoT and QoC. As stated before, you can adjust for every observable bias in the infinitude of the universe and Girardi still sucks at possessing/driving possession of the puck. That doesn't necessarily make him a bad defenseman, though.

IMO, if you look at RHD who play on top pairings across the league, DG def is on the lower end of the spectrum . It's weird though, gotta give credit where credit is due. He has survived and even flourished at times in a top-pair role despite having the physical skillset and senses of a bottom pair IMO. SAH shot-blocking iron man who plays in the face of top players and somehow has performed relatively well against them over the course of his career.

Does it say somewhere on that how they actually calculate those Usage Adjusted stats? Are they using the 10 second rule, or calculating it another way? Sorry if it's obvious on the website and I'm just missing it. It's early, give me a break :p:

I think people are hesitant to trust these Hero Charts because Patrick Wiercioch is not a first pairing defenseman, Sean Bergenheim is not a 1st line forward, Anders Lee is not a gift to the world of a forward, Nick Leddy is not one of the best defenseman in the league, etc... etc...

There's a lot of noise in those charts. Perhaps Girardi falls into that category of somebody who, get this, may not be accurately reflected by today's advanced metrics.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Might be good to sit Girardi over the weekend. Last thing he and the team needs is for a big cut like that to get infected

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Wait. You mean. Stats may not tell the whole story? Holy ****. I need to start watching games again.

Welcome to the thread... Been making this argument for about thirty pages worth of Girardi talk at this point :laugh: Think Ras, Ail and I are getting sick of the roundabout :sarcasm:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I'm sure you understand what you're seeing. What your brain tells you you're "seeing" is the problem.

Maybe your right. For instance, I can't believe what you wrote. I'm not sure I'm seeing it right...

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
I thought he Broke his arm last night as soon as it happened. He really is a tough dude in his amazing ability to withstand such constant punishment. There are many different kinds of "tough"

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
So, he's healthy for sure? Any concrete news about this?

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/2...i-suffered-a-gash-on-his-arm-and-got-stitches

It's nice to see he's starting to get more love now in this thread, the guy deserves it. I still love the OHL story where he refused to have an x-ray because he said he could play, and then after he wins the Memorial Cup they do an x-ray and it turns out he had been playing the whole time with a broken bone in his hand.

The guy is a hockey player.

MillerTime79

Jun 28, 2007
http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/2...i-suffered-a-gash-on-his-arm-and-got-stitches

It's nice to see he's starting to get more love now in this thread, the guy deserves it. I still love the OHL story where he refused to have an x-ray because he said he could play, and then after he wins the Memorial Cup they do an x-ray and it turns out he had been playing the whole time with a broken bone in his hand.

Clearly a BS story... Girardi's bones don't break.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

And wasn't that with him matching up against Perry in the cup finals?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I just wanted to let you know where I'm coming down in this discussion because you all seem very passionate about it.

I like passion without explanation, though, anyway.

- - - -

I view G as someone who outplays his stats. It's pretty clear when watching him, too. It's funny. He went from being a bit overrated to being one of the most underrated players on the team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
And wasn't that with him matching up against Perry in the cup finals?

Nope, him and Perry were on the same team.

I do remember that he played a crucial role in shutting down Crosby in the Memorial Cup. Him and Methot(?) were some pairing in Juniors.

Edit:

"It's a team effort and the five-man unit (Brandon Prust, Trevor Kell, Hunter, Dan Girardi and Marc Methot) did a hell of a job," said Hunter, who applied the same system he used as a Washington Capital to shut down NHL Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux.

In reference to shutting down Crosby ^.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
The most obvious thing is that after all the roundabout, which i found quite interesting to read, the obvious truth is that Girardi is a good hockey player that contributes to the Rangers success, and none of that granular to the nth degree analysis changes that.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Interesting, never knew Methot was Girardi's partner with London.

Methot-Girardi is an absurd OHL shutdown pair. No surprise their team did so well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad