Injury Report: Dan Girardi (Hip Flexor - more than "day to day")

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Maybe if his offseason starts today he can be fully healed in time for the start of the 2017-18 season.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I would put McIlrath with McDonagh. I think a stay at home Dman would be a good fit for him, and allow him to join the rush more.

and so then mcilrath gets 1st pair duties with mcdonagh who logs 25-27 mins per night against the top lines.

a team like st louis with that speed would expose dylan and put him in a spot where taking penalties and getting beat wide would create a disadvantage for us.

not sure he should go from press box to 1st pair. no, forget that, i am sure.

he shouldn't.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
and so then mcilrath gets 1st pair duties with mcdonagh who logs 25-27 mins per night against the top lines.

a team like st louis with that speed would expose dylan and put him in a spot where taking penalties and getting beat wide would create a disadvantage for us.

he shouldn't.

You do realize we play Dan Girardi with McDonagh, and you're complaining about speed? I'm not saying to play McIlrath with McDonagh, but c'mon now. After praising him this offseason, you're back to your usual tirade against him and Nash.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT

he shouldn't.

Not saying it's an ideal option, but I'd rather put him with McD until Klein comes back over Holden or Skjie on a side he doesn't usually play. I really think he's our best option, which says a lot about our RHD depth.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You do realize we play Dan Girardi with McDonagh, and you're complaining about speed? I'm not saying to play McIlrath with McDonagh, but c'mon now. After praising him this offseason, you're back to your usual tirade against him and Nash.

this is the new nhl. dylan isn't a 1st pair kid. not sure hell ever be and not sure av will ever give him a fair shake.

this game is built for speed. its uptempo, offensive and creative. its about creating chances with speed, passing and with guys who can break legs and make you look silly.

think of all the top young forwards on team na we watched a few weeks ago. then think what those kids would do to dan girardi or even dylan mcilrath.

colton parayko is a stud. we saw him last night do his thing. a guy that big, that skates like that ? not fair. in fact, pretty sure he played on that team na squad. he's the prototypical new game big dman. he's got the size but he's got the wheels too. and he comes without the visible holes in his game.

mcilrath has made strides for sure. he's more confident and seems to be more involved up ice and thats good. but he's still struggles with his reads, still looks to me to be stiff in the hips and not fluid on his edges, and most of all, still makes silly mistakes that at this point he should not make.

you ask whats the different between skjei and mcilrath ? two young guys playing the same position ? skating and the feel for the game. pure and simple.

oh and one more thing. trust. from the head coach.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I love whenever people say "oh heavens no we can't have him on the first pair!!!"

We let ****ing Girardi do it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Dan couldn't make it through two regular season games before he got injured.

"He'll rebound!", They said. "He's a warrior!", They also said...

The guy is finished.

It was in the rangers best interests to have him play and try to build up value.

On the other hand, RangerBoy has been saying how he could feasibly end up on LTIR for the remainder of this contract--this might actually be what's happening here. Girardi's body is finished. Would never wish injury on the guy, but it's getting to the point where he's not going to be able to live a healthy post hockey life if he keeps playing.

Long term IR for the rest of that contract would be SO good for this team

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
McIlrath is not an upgrade on healthy Girardi or Holden. In fact, I'm surprised at some of the venom about Holden. He lost his man on the Stasny goal but otherwise I think he has been pretty serviceable. Do you really think that the coaches are not playing Dylan because they are not trying to win?

The real ****show on defense right now is Mark Staal.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
McIlrath is not an upgrade on healthy Girardi or Holden. In fact, I'm surprised at some of the venom about Holden. He lost his man on the Stasny goal but otherwise I think he has been pretty serviceable. Do you really think that the coaches are not playing Dylan because they are not trying to win?

I respect you as a poster, but this entire post goes against EVERYTHING everyone else who I happen to take very seriously has posted...

Staal has looked Okay. He can't pass the puck, but in his own zone he's been fine.

Girardi bleeds shot attempts against.

Holden has been average, not great, but average.

And somehow, a healthy, young McIlrath who has some fantastic physical skills and first pass abilities, is not as talented as Dan ****ing Girardi?

Okay then.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The problem with Holden is that he's playing with the worst possible partner AV could give him - same with Staal. Those two should not play together under any circumstances.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I wanna see:

Mcdonagh-Clendening
Skjei-Klein
Staal-Mcilrath

Girardi can be "injured" for the next 4 years. Put him on injury reserve and let him cash in the rest of his contract while he sits in the press box and has a minor role in the organisation. He knows he isnt good enough anymore, got beat bad again on a couple of plays against the Blues. Fast players beat him on the outside every time.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I really hope that Chris Drury has "the talk" with him soon.
plBPG5l.png

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I'm not sure that I agree with your statement on McIlrath not being an upgrade to a healthy Girardi, but I do think that people here seem to be losing their minds whne it comes to team and player evaluations. Everything is the worst thing ever and if a player makes one mistake then he's had the worst game ever and everyone's angry that they're not a NHL head coach or GM apparently.

I think Holden's been OK but would rather he not be playing his off side, as it seems to cross him up at times. I think Girardi is going to struggle whether he's healthy or not, but for the time being that seems to be irrelevant since he's not healthy.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

wow, im not seeing that at all.

i was impressed with his ability to win puck battles behind the net and come away with pucks. his defensive play has been pretty decent overall imo.

he seems more mobile and defensively he's been solid.

he still handles the puck like he's got oven mits on and his shot is non existent.

matched with a competent puck mover guy like clendo, i see that pair as half way decent.

holden i need to see more of. for a big dude, he skates really well. he needs to sharpen up his man skills a bit though. seems to get lost alot and wanders away leaving gaps behind him. get him back too the left side too.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I really don't think Staal has been that bad. I think he has been much improved from last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad