Rumor: Dan Girardi back to Rangers

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I always feel like the HC should be able to make all the calls on AC hires. He has to form the team he wants to work with. Otherwise, I'd have just assigned him Jacques Martin but that just us arm chair GMs.

Jacques did a fantastic job with our D. That said, at some point in the season I felt like he and Quinn were not besties. I think he was foisted on Quinn (and for good reason). Totally speculation on my part, but I think there was friction.

There was one game during the season where, very late in the game, I think we were protecting a one goal lead or something and during a timeout all the players gathered around and Martin drew up a play on the little clipboard/whiteboard and once he was done and the players broke from the huddle, Martin close the cap on the marker and without looking just held it out in DQ's direction waiting for him to take it and put it away. And worse, DQ took the pen and kinda had a bewildered look on his face like why are you handing it to me, I'm your boss. But DQ is such a nice dude, he took the pen anyway.

I get the sense that among coaches, DQ is like the nicest guy ever. And I don't get the sense he was as in control as you'd want with the older players and more experienced coaches. I hope he lands somewhere else soon. He's too nice of a dude.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
who'd freak out if Mark Messier was an assistant coach?

Was going to post this.

I know nothing about Girardi’s coaching experience but I find it funny that everyone loves this decision. But other former players would be a disaster somehow.

Reminds me of when we would trade an AHL fourth liner for a 7th round pick and the “Good asset management by Gorton” posts come out.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Was going to post this.

I know nothing about Girardi’s coaching experience but I find it funny that everyone loves this decision. But other former players would be a disaster somehow.

Reminds me of when we would trade an AHL fourth liner for a 7th round pick and the “Good asset management by Gorton” posts come out.

Other former player with a God complex, who doesn't have a minute of coaching experience, and thinks it's still 1994.

You left that part out.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Other former player with a God complex, who doesn't have a minute of coaching experience, and thinks it's still 1994.

You left that part out.
Not true

I don’t get why Rangers fans on here seem to have distain toward him. How much coaching experience did Girardi have? He was just playing in the NHL 2 years ago. Messier is regarded as one of the greatest leaders in the history of professional sports. The damn leadership award for the NHL is named after him. He is the kind of person you’d think would excel at coaching

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not true

I don’t get why Rangers fans on here seem to have distain toward him. How much coaching experience did Girardi have? He was just playing in the NHL 2 years ago. Messier is regarded as one of the greatest leaders in the history of professional sports. The damn leadership award for the NHL is named after him. He is the kind of person you’d think would excel at coaching
Probably because of the gross entitlement, sociopathic tendencies, and the fact that the entire bottom 9 would be goons?

He literally said that his strategy would be "beat people in the street AND the alley."

I feel like one of those should be ice, but he just forgot ice. It's not important.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Probably because of the gross entitlement, sociopathic tendencies, and the fact that the entire bottom 9 would be goons?

He literally said that his strategy would be "beat people in the street AND the alley."

I feel like one of those should be ice, but he just forgot ice. It's not important.

The entire bottom 9 would not be goons. You don't seem to understand the difference between the coach and then GM.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The entire bottom 9 would not be goons. You don't seem to understand the difference between the coach and then GM.
You don't seem to understand Messier. He would want full control of the roster.

Which is one the many reasons it hasn't happened and never will.

Reactions: Off Sides

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Jacques did a fantastic job with our D. That said, at some point in the season I felt like he and Quinn were not besties. I think he was foisted on Quinn (and for good reason). Totally speculation on my part, but I think there was friction.

There was one game during the season where, very late in the game, I think we were protecting a one goal lead or something and during a timeout all the players gathered around and Martin drew up a play on the little clipboard/whiteboard and once he was done and the players broke from the huddle, Martin close the cap on the marker and without looking just held it out in DQ's direction waiting for him to take it and put it away. And worse, DQ took the pen and kinda had a bewildered look on his face like why are you handing it to me, I'm your boss. But DQ is such a nice dude, he took the pen anyway.

I get the sense that among coaches, DQ is like the nicest guy ever. And I don't get the sense he was as in control as you'd want with the older players and more experienced coaches. I hope he lands somewhere else soon. He's too nice of a dude.

What an example. Little things like that may be something or maybe they are nothing at all. But I do agree with sense you have of him.

Even my wife, who really isnt into sports at all said last night "You know I dont watch any hockey but there was just something off about that coach. Like he was an imposter or something."

I think that sums up DQs tenure here. He was fantastic with the media, was a good face for the club. We have been told he was a great communicator and I'm sure did a lot of great things with the players personally and within an individual space but when it was time to get behind the bench to lead a group of men, things were just off.

I dont think the players completely trusted him on the bench and he always seemed like he was trying to do way too much - micromanaging each player instead of focusing on the pulse of the team as a whole and making the necessary in game adjustments.

I wish him well too and I think thats part of developing as a coach. I think he will get better at it and be successful somewhere if he can grow past that.

Reactions: haveandare and CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad