Confirmed with Link: Dan Cloutier resigns as goaltending coach, citing family reasons

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Alex Auld has been wedging his nose into the teams rear end for a front office job for the better part of two years now

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Good news. DAN Cloutier was our goalie coach. If you knew nothing else about our organization you could understand.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
We never had no goalie coaches back in the day he in the when we were walking 10 miles up hill in the snow with a bad full of wet gear and we turned out just fine.....

I dunno, I've always been a little skeptical when it comes to goalie coaches. Sure, get the right one and you're golden; other than that I think they can do more to scramble a guys head than do any good.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Our options for replacement are:
  • Kirk McLean
  • Steve Weeks
  • Troy Gamble
  • Bob Mason
  • Kay Whitmore
  • Corey Hirsch
  • Mike Fountain
  • Arturs Irbe
  • Garth Snow
  • Felix Potvin
  • Alfie Michaud
  • Peter Skudra
  • Alex Auld
  • Martin Brochu
  • Chris Levesque
Not sure who I'd choose as a replacement... maybe Brochu?
Bones Bromley has final say on goaltending matters ;)

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Markström was fine for us last year.

Are we happy about this because we remember Dan for the mid ice slapper and the melt down that his career was after that?
Or are there some reason to believe he is a bad goalie coach?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I made a post a while ago about Cloutier being a problem. I didn't take issue with him getting the job because he was primarily responsible for working with Demko and he had learned from Melanson over the years. But our goaltending was not good last season and one of the problems were Nilson's lost confidence and the holes that Markstrom opens up when he moves side to side, problems that Cloutier had in his career.

It sounds like the reviews on Cloutier has been good. Goaltending coach is pretty important so I hope we find a good one. But like head coaches, outside of the really established ones, it's hard to know who is good.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I made a post a while ago about Cloutier being a problem. I didn't take issue with him getting the job because he was primarily responsible for working with Demko and he had learned from Melanson over the years. But our goaltending was not good last season and one of the problems were Nilson's lost confidence and the holes that Markstrom opens up when he moves side to side, problems that Cloutier had in his career.

It sounds like the reviews on Cloutier has been good. Goaltending coach is pretty important so I hope we find a good one. But like head coaches, outside of the really established ones, it's hard to know who is good.

Markström was 20th in 5on5 save% last year. Considering the team infront of him I would say that is at least league average goaltending we recieved from him, overall. The early lapses in concentration are an issue.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Kirk McLean will be our next goalie coach. He has experience, is around the team often, has that 94' run sheen on him Aquilini loves, and is in good standing with the alumni Mafia.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Markström was 20th in 5on5 save% last year. Considering the team infront of him I would say that is at least league average goaltending we recieved from him, overall. The early lapses in concentration are an issue.

My issue is the holes that open when he moves to side to side. The goalies under Melanson were very good moving side to side. The criticism of Melanson's style is that he touches his goalies to stay back rather than being more aggressive to cut down angles.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Kirk McLean will be our next goalie coach. He has experience, is around the team often, has that 94' run sheen on him Aquilini loves, and is in good standing with the alumni Mafia.
Outstanding choice. He seems to possess all the necessities the organization looks for in a candidate for a position such as this. I believe Bones Bromley would give McLean his blessing in this matter.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
You are thinking "Re-signed." Your confusion may stem from spending too much time around 10 year olds on reddit.
Yes those two words mean the exact opposite of each other. Re-signed makes sense to me resigned does not. Maybe unsigned would be a good replacement or do people quitting need to sign something? Maybe re-sign the form that they signed when hired.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Oh great news. Why would anyone want to hire a sieve as a goalie coach. ITS DAN CLOUTIER for crying out loud.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
'Markstrom became terrible' suggests he was once better than he is now...
I'm not a Markstrom fan at all... but he's played better technically every season he's been here. Just not at a very high level of consistency.

Hopefully a different coach/approach helps our goalies achieve a slightly higher ceiling to their games.

Hire the goalie coach who has a track record for coaching goalies with the highest save percentage thru the first 5 shots of a game OR first 5 minutes of game (whichever comes second)...

Hire THAT guy.

Also Marky was one of the goalies most affected by the restrictions on pant size, really messed up all the work they had done on his glove positioning.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
No joke i bet its gonna be Alex Auld. He's already doing this at lower levels locally.

Woodley would be my choice if you can talk him into it. Love his segments and breakdowns he's pretty dialed and concise.

Congrats to Cloutier your kids are only young once enjoy.

Unlikely - iirc Woodley didn't want it when Rollie stepped down, not sure why he would want it now.

Korn would be a coup, but presumably goes to NYI?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I selfishy want John Garrett to take over for the year. I don't know how much more I can take listening him talk about his mid-intermission hot dog or his love for PB&J any more. Plus this would be the easiest way to tank for Hughes.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Goaltending has not been a Canucks strength for years. IMO, you need a well proven veteran demonstrating the NHL game to effectively mentor a rookie. Some old guy that played in leather pads is probably counter-productive. Also, an unreliable guy that never stole the job is not much help.

I feel sorry for Demko. They will throw him in behind a depleted defense and ask him to steal games from playoff teams next season.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Goaltending has not been a Canucks strength for years. IMO, you need a well proven veteran demonstrating the NHL game to effectively mentor a rookie. Some old guy that played in leather pads is probably counter-productive. Also, an unreliable guy that never stole the job is not much help.

I feel sorry for Demko. They will throw him in behind a depleted defense and ask him to steal games from playoff teams next season.

Maybe not relative to other teams, but relative to the rest of the Canucks, goaltending has probably been the closest thing to a “strength” that this team has had in the Benning era.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad