Confirmed with Link: Dan Bylsma to coach U.S. national team in Sochi | Shero joins Poile as associate GM

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i find it hard to get behind the USA in international competition. i don't think it makes me less of a patriot, after all i once won a president's trivia night in a bar.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
TPB Derek @TPBderek
Datsyuk- Malkin- AO vs Joe Vitale -Vitale’s cousin - parise

I laughed, but we all know Vitale would be scratched.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
This is going to be USA's best team in years, and it is going to go wasted. Sorry Patty Kane, Kessel, Kesler.. you guys are just too talented to be on this roster. Better luck in 2018.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Poor Phil Kessel. Poor Patrick Kane.
It could be worse. They could put on their skate guards and be playing for Tortorella.

Kind of interested in seeing Disco without the Pens. To a degree I don't think the Pens allow coaches to overly coach.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
The worst thing to happen is he wins a gold medal playing "their game" and now folks would question the Penguin Players more than the coach and GM.

Congrats to Dan and Shero.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Players might react really well to him as the Pens did in 09. I think, like any coach, they have a time frame where players listen to them. The Pens need someone different now but that doesn't mean Team USA can't utilize his strengths in a tournament form.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The worst thing to happen is he wins a gold medal playing "their game" and now folks would question the Penguin Players more than the coach and GM.

Congrats to Dan and Shero.

That "would" be awful to correctly identify the root problem. :sarcasm: (if that is really it).

I do know that Orpik and Martin are locks on the team and will be paired up as the "shutdown" pairing. I am amazed at the quality of players developed in the USA now.

At least MAF isn't merican. Bylsma will probably ride Miller the entire way with him giving up 4-5 goals against. He will refuse to pull him for Quick.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Players might react really well to him as the Pens did in 09. I think, like any coach, they have a time frame where players listen to them. The Pens need someone different now but that doesn't mean Team USA can't utilize his strengths in a tournament form.

Absolutely. I agree with this. Plus, Dan might actually alter the system to fit Olympic ice. I don't necessarily think you will see "Penguins hockey" out of the US team. It will be interesting to watch the identity that the team has under Bylsma.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That "would" be awful to correctly identify the root problem. :sarcasm: (if that is really it).

I do know that Orpik and Martin are locks on the team and will be paired up as the "shutdown" pairing. I am amazed at the quality of players developed in the USA now.

At least MAF isn't merican. Bylsma will probably ride Miller the entire way with him giving up 4-5 goals against. He will refuse to pull him for Quick.

Quick will be the starting goalie.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Absolutely. I agree with this. Plus, Dan might actually alter the system to fit Olympic ice. I don't necessarily think you will see "Penguins hockey" out of the US team. It will be interesting to watch the identity that the team has under Bylsma.

Maybe it will even help him. He struggled with how many stars we had. Welp... now he has all the stars. He will learn a lot from this.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It could be worse. They could put on their skate guards and be playing for Tortorella.

Kind of interested in seeing Disco without the Pens. To a degree I don't think the Pens allow coaches to overly coach.

Sooo, it's the Penguins who are holding back the coaches? I think you have it backwards!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe it will even help him. He struggled with how many stars we had. Welp... now he has all the stars. He will learn a lot from this.

Yeah I only see it as a positive really. It's another opportunity for him to learn and grow as a coach.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Jeez, imagine how you guys would think of DB if he wasn't universally considered one of the best coaches in the game....tough crowd.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Jeez, imagine how you guys would think of DB if he wasn't universally considered one of the best coaches in the game....tough crowd.

His reputation of having no clue of a player's value to a team (and how to best use his players) is a.....(insert favorite bad thing analogy)

This was the same coach who never healthy scratched Tanner Glass during the regular season. He is an average coach blessed with one of the most talented teams.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
What the **** do people see in this guy...that being said...CANADIANS ARE HAPPY AS ****!!! Have fun with a top 6 consisting of Tanner Glass clones

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Awesome news. Big ice, no obstruction allowed, what a great choice.

Actually there's something to this. Bylsma would have an easier time succeeding in that environment (with let's face it: an all-star team) than in the NHL (with grinders and all-stars). I do not believe his approach will be exactly the same as he doesn't have time to institute that kind of system. He'll probably keep it simpler, and very up-tempo.

Canadians shouldn't care either way: the Russians are going to win (mafia-paid refs). ;)

Poor Phil Kessel. Poor Patrick Kane.

I think they'll excel along with Parise and Ryan, most likely. Kane will be free to do his thing.

Let's not pretend Bylsma is going to treat the Olympics like NHL grind-it-out-against-the-Atlantic. If he does he deserves whatever ridicule he gets. He won't win games there that way. The Olympic game is a speed and skill game, and even Disco Dan must recognize that. What I fear is if he's having a bad go here and then goes and takes the US to the Gold Medal game, he'll get a pass for another year here. Bank on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad