Confirmed with Link: Damon Severson traded to Columbus for a 2023 3rd round pick (via CGY) (signs 8 years, 6.25 per extension)

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I personally LOVE this move and don't care that he overpaid on term. Jarmo has stopped f***ing around and is AGGRESSIVE in adding legit NHL players to this roster and slotting them correctly.

He can make up some of these picks by dumping Peeke, Bean, Boqvist or whatever extra winger someone may value out there. And if he doesn't, I'm still perfectly fine with sacrificing a 3rd for this acquisition.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I dont think Boqvist is going anywhere. I suspect we'll see him in top 4 and Jiricek in 3rd pair to start the year

Playing on his off side with Gudbranson?

Defensemen perform longer than forwards and the cap is going to jump up, fairly minimal risk here. I think its more about competing for the playoffs and insulating the kids while making them fight for jobs. Dont see the doom and gloom you do

I don't think any team that has tried to rush a rebuild like this has ever ended up competing very well. Guess we'll see.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Playing on his off side with Gudbranson?

I don't think any team that has tried to rush a rebuild like this has ever ended up competing very well. Guess we'll see.
But thats the thing, it may have been short but I dont think it was rushed. We already had some pieces in place that many bottom feeders dont. Also had some very high picks that look extremely promising so far. While still having 1 pick that is likely to be the best of the bunch. We also only have a couple players over 30 so its not like Calgary where we created some small window for ourselves, it hasnt even opened yet

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think we could have waited a month and saved the third round pick. I also think 7 x $6.2 million would have been his best offer in free agency given most team’s cap issues and we would‘t have the 8th year on the contract.

I don’t mind adding Severson, but I think this is now the worst contract on the team and it hasn’t officially started yet.

Also, I think we have just shortened our window if we ever have a window.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Quote from the Devils board:

"Man, Columbus f***ing LOVES defensemen who can't play defense. I'm sure him he'll have a lovely time playing under Babcock."

Don't know much about him but this seemed to be only outright negative comment about hem. Others wished him well while adding they are glad the Devils didn't keep him on those terms.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I'm all for this aggressive Jarmo approach. They had an unbelievably bad year and will likely get a future #1 C out of that suffering. Now, shore up the back end, the coaching and hopefully the goaltending and let's see if this team can make some noise.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
werenski - severson
provorov - jiricek

that's one hell of a top four. one of the better ones in the league, even. severson probably slides down to the second pair when provorov's deal is up + mateychuk is ready, but by then the cap will go up by quite a bit and $6.25m for a second pair defenseman is below average.

for anyone complaining about them giving too much term: there's a $1m signing bonus in year 6, then it's all salary in 7 and 8. extremely buyout-friendly contract if they find themselves needing the cap space in 2029 or whatever. not worth worrying about until then.

they've pretty much fully addressed their defensive group and only gave up a late first, a future second, and their extra third. and they can recoup those assets now by moving one (or both) of peeke/boqvist – but since jiricek can be sent down to develop there's no huge rush to move both guys. should be able to fetch a nice fee for each guy.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm sure others have said this, but you're going to love, then hate, then love, then want him fired into the sun, then think the contract is a steal, then want him fired into the sun again. Most would say you would feel all these things after one period. I would disagree. You will feel all these things after one shift.

He's a great guy/teammate that suffered through years of terrible teams and I'll be rooting for his personal success.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

I would have been 100% in agreement with you on this last year as I felt the big piece missing in our pipeline was a true bluechip center prospect and we needed to suck at least one more year to get it.

Now that we're getting that piece I'm good with insulating this team with proven veterans to allow the young guys to grow while also competing with guys like Guadreau, Werenski, and Laine in their primes.

Still work to do and while I'm not expecting miracles next year I think we'll be competitive while sheltering our young guys, who, when ready, will be the ones expected to elevate this team to cup contender status in a few years.

I'm legit excited to be honest with how this can all come together in a few years. And I haven't felt that way probably ever with this squad.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I personally LOVE this move and don't care that he overpaid on term. Jarmo has stopped f***ing around and is AGGRESSIVE in adding legit NHL players to this roster and slotting them correctly.

He can make up some of these picks by dumping Peeke, Bean, Boqvist or whatever extra winger someone may value out there. And if he doesn't, I'm still perfectly fine with sacrificing a 3rd for this acquisition.
How can we dump Gudbranson?

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The defense is probably pretty set for 2023 with some shuffling I’ll jump ahead to 2024.

Werenski, Severson, Jiricek and Gud are locks. Two of these three - Mateychuk, Svozil, Cuelemanns - will likely slot in.

That leave Provolov in his final year who could stay or go. And it looks like the Frank Fritz bundle for dealing leaves Bean, Boquist, Peeke, Blanks and the AHL gang or even some of the draft trio above as trade candidates for a top 6 forward or sweeteners in they need to move away from Elvis. In any case, I don’t expect more than one of the aforementioned 4 vets to be on this roster for long.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

"Man, Columbus f***ing LOVES defensemen who can't play defense. I'm sure him he'll have a lovely time playing under Babcock."

Don't know much about him but this seemed to be only outright negative comment about hem. Others wished him well while adding they are glad the Devils didn't keep him on those terms.
I was following him last year, I think he was even scratched for a few games, the Devils fans comments weren’t too pretty, so I’m a bit concerned

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

He was 3rd on the team in blocked shots. He’s not Hamilton, Hughes, or Nemec but saying he doesn’t play defense is dumb. Most of our defenders are allergic to shot blocking.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
How can we dump Gudbranson?

Well I'm one who values what Gudbranson brings to a 3rd pairing role. Yes he's tremendously overpaid but even in today's NHL we need guys who can stick up for teammates and make sure guys, especially young guys, aren't intimidated. I won't ever forget that hit Bennet put on Sillinger for example with no response.

Call me old school or whatever but I highly doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Well I'm one who values what Gudbranson brings to a 3rd pairing role. Yes he's tremendously overpaid but even in today's NHL we need guys who can stick up for teammates and make sure guys, especially young guys, aren't intimidated. I won't ever forget that hit Bennet put on Sillinger for example with no response.

Call me old school or whatever but I highly doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.
Yes, Jarmo also loves his “toughness and leadership”, so he’s definitely staying, I just hope he doesn’t get to play more than 10 min a night

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad