Damien Cox (Toronto Star) tweets during Jets/Lightning game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
Not sure how long this thread will last, I was going to put it in the post-game thread but wanted to ensure everyone was aware. I was so mad reading these after getting home from the game, and I certainly wont be reading the Toronto Star any time in the foreseeable future.

He's a respected sports columnist with 42,000 followers and does NOT post humorous or satirical tweets like Bruce Arthur or Down Goes Brown.

Warning: Colourful language in some of the responses.

https://twitter.com/DamoSpin/status/315993402862866432
Damien Cox
‏@DamoSpin
Hard to believe Bolts this much worse now than Thrashers.

https://twitter.com/DamoSpin/status/315997767447228416
Damien Cox
‏@DamoSpin
“@smalley1981: @DamoSpin they are called the Jets you fool. Get it right.†Really? Since when?

https://twitter.com/DamoSpin/status/316008176094949376
Damien Cox
‏@DamoSpin
Whoa. Nasty head shot on Desjardins.

https://twitter.com/DamoSpin/status/316009953007644672
Damien Cox
‏@DamoSpin
Man, that Clitsome can skate.

https://twitter.com/DamoSpin/status/316009348692336640
Damien Cox
‏@DamoSpin
Even with wicked homer, Bruin-like broadcast, love games from Winnipeg. Passion of fans comes right thru TV.

And there were more...sigh.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Since when is Damien Cox a repected sports columnist? This is his bread and butter. Saying outlandish things to try getting a rise out of people. If everyone just ignored him, he would go away.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Who?

Sounds like a hack, maybe Gary Lawless and the guy who writes Coffee Time news can give him some pointers.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Him referring to the team as the Thrashers simply indicates his lack of intelligence. Nothing more really needs to be said.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
he just wanted to get under some peoples skin, responding to his tweets accomplishes that. Very similar to that twolinepass guy.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
I know from watching him spout off for years on round table discussion shows like TSN the Reporters that he is an incredibly smug, dismissive, bald ******. You could always tell that even his fellow panellists found him insufferable.
Neither as insightful nor witty as his contemporary Steve Simmons, though he naturally must believe he is.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Him referring to the team as the Thrashers simply indicates his lack of intelligence. Nothing more really needs to be said.

The Jets are playing very similar to how the Thrashers played their final year in Atlanta. Put together a few surprising wins and get in the hunt, but seem to not be able to handle their success.

Until this team can break that stigma and win when it counts and be a legitimate playoff team, they will be compared to the thrashers or any other team that just can't get it done.

Cox is trying to be 'clever', but his arrogance gets in the way. Love to shove comments like that down his throat, but the Jets are terribly inconsistent still. Just like the Thrashers were.

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
Cox is a complete GTA homer, he was upset when WPG got a team before the GTA got a second, he's still mad......and a little stupid. Cox, McLean, and Healy should not have jobs due to their homerism.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
The Jets are playing very similar to how the Thrashers played their final year in Atlanta. Put together a few surprising wins and get in the hunt, but seem to not be able to handle their success.

Until this team can break that stigma and win when it counts and be a legitimate playoff team, they will be compared to the thrashers or any other team that just can't get it done.

Cox is trying to be 'clever', but his arrogance gets in the way. Love to shove comments like that down his throat, but the Jets are terribly inconsistent still. Just like the Thrashers were.

Sure, I can see that, and I agree. However, if he were to have re-phrased the tweet to indicate what you are saying it would make sense, but he didn't. His tweet was made in the present tense. It makes about as much sense as referring to the Avalanche as the Nordiques. No difference. Just a lack of intelligence. Guy is a moron.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Since when is Damien Cox a repected sports columnist? This is his bread and butter. Saying outlandish things to try getting a rise out of people. If everyone just ignored him, he would go away.

I follow him on twitter just cause having a cpl D-bag reporters on ur twitter feed spices it up!!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Sure, I can see that, and I agree. However, if he were to have re-phrased the tweet to indicate what you are saying it would make sense, but he didn't. His tweet was made in the present tense. It makes about as much sense as referring to the Avalanche as the Nordiques. No difference. Just a lack of intelligence. Guy is a moron.

I agree he's a moron and an embarrassment to the reporting profession.

Referring to the Jets as the Thrashers is, imo, his way of saying this team still sucks - like the Thrashers did - only making the playoffs once in all those years in Atlanta. He's arrogant and can get away with ****ing on the jets cause they haven't really improved all that much. If they were sitting where the Habs are (points-wise) he would be saying "these aren't the Thrashers anymore".

It will take some time and playoff action for the Thrashers to be gone for good, imo.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
You would think that a 50 year old man would be more mature than that. Attempting to degrade an entire city by implying we are hillbillies is pretty unbecoming. Not to get off topic but I don't understand why that is considered socially acceptable.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
If anyone is really that concerned about what some d-bag from Toronto is saying, write a complaint letter to his employers. Likely they won't care since the home market isn't being negatively impacted (and there is clearly a GTA meathead audience for this garbage).

I've said this before, but people who somehow think that calling the team the Thrashers is some big "finishing shot" at Winnipeg just need to give their heads a shake. As a "professional" this guy's comments are open for criticism... what he says and how he says it directly reflect on his level of professionalism; he isn't doing himself any favours.

Again, what can you do? Don't patronize the newspapers, magazines, websites, tv stations, etc... that are employing him. Better yet, also take the time to write/email these institutions and let them know you are choosing to not give them your business, and why. But be prepared for nobody to care.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
You would think that a 50 year old man would be more mature than that. Attempting to degrade an entire city by implying we are hillbillies is pretty unbecoming. Not to get off topic but I don't understand why that is considered socially acceptable.

When the anti-bullying stuff goes through maybe there's a case for some kind of lawsuit? :sarcasm:

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

Sounds like allot of Winnipeg/Manitoba when talking about Regina/Saskatchewan.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Sounds like allot of Winnipeg/Manitoba when talking about Regina/Saskatchewan.

Yeah but... but... but... :laugh:

Difference is I love making fun of my Sask buddies, but Regina is actually an okay city, and Saskatoon I've always found REALLY nice. So I do it in jest, knowing full well it's a nice place.

I doubt this guy feels the same way.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
He's just like Skip Bayless to me. I really couldn't give a crap what he says. He provides zero insight into the game. I can get the exact same information from someone at a bus shelter.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Don't give Cox the time of day. He is probably reading this thread enjoying the pain it caused immensely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad