Recalled/Assigned: Dalpe and Gragnani up, Nodl and Jordan down

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
dalpe more than deserves some nhl play, when he was last up i thought he did very well with skinner.

Hmm...I thought the opposite. I thought he looked "meh" and for the most part, he was invisible the last time he was up. Dump the puck in the zone, speed in after it, lose it along the boards. Dwyer has looked much better with Skinner/J. Staal than Dalpe did in his time up here.

I am glad he is getting another chance though.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Only reason it's Nodl down instead of Welsh is that Nodl and Dalpe are both wingers (at least so far in Dalpe's case). Now, whether or not they shouldn't give Dalpe a shot at the #3 center is another debate, but I like how Nash has played in that slot so no complaints there. It's just weird since Nodl's been a very competent checking line winger for us.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Only reason it's Nodl down instead of Welsh is that Nodl and Dalpe are both wingers (at least so far in Dalpe's case). Now, whether or not they shouldn't give Dalpe a shot at the #3 center is another debate, but I like how Nash has played in that slot so no complaints there. It's just weird since Nodl's been a very competent checking line winger for us.

I've also liked how Nash has looked so far. Small sample size so we'll have to see how he looks over a longer stretch, but hopefully he keeps it up. re: Nodl. Who knows. Maybe the coaches are asking for specific things that he isn't doing. Maybe Muller is shuffling players to see if he can find a line that develops some chemistry and can be effective and contribute some offensively long term.

The good news is a lot of these guys (Welsh, Nash, Dalpe, Bowman, Sanguinetti, Murphy, Jordan, etc...) are getting decent chances in the NHL to show if they can cut it or not.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010

The keyword is checking line winger. With Skinner injured and no one (mainly Jokinen) really stepping up the team is missing offensive threat from the bottom 9. Dalpe is way more offensive minded winger than Nodl so he'll be given another chance to show if he can bring some of his scoring ability to the NHL.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
@MSmithCanes said:
Nodl can be reassigned without waivers after being under games played/days limit after going through waivers process already.

I believe the limit used to be 30 days or 10 NHL games played but it must have changed with the new CBA since Nodl cleared the waivers more than a month ago.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I also just think nodl is viewed as a band aid long term, vs the other young players we want to look at. I think they hold priority, and the team has already decided to go with them over him. I think they'd move him if they could, and hope he got picked up if it was applicable. Found a taker for astew, not for nodl and he can't play his way past the decision without a notable change in success.

He's solid, just not the priority. I actually like that in theory, a definite change of pace from the past. Might be a money thing as well.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Personally I like Nodl on the fourth line, but I can totally understand why they would want to go another way. He doesn't give you enough on either end of the ice to take on a bigger role.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
You know, as odd as it may sound, I think Charlotte is afraid of losing Chris Terry's scoring for their club and prefers that Carolina call up Dalpe so that Terry doesn't have to clear waivers in the middle of what is turning out to be a Calder Cup hopeful. I know you don't usually consider things like that, but Terry has been on a torrid streak for Charlotte. For him to not get a look in this cycle of forward going up and down seems really odd. Especially when you consider that his help could be used on the point of the PP where he seems to perform really well. It has to be frustrating to see Dalpe, Boychuk, Welsh, Nash, and Nodl go up and down while he has been in the organizational pipe for longer than any of them and has yet to see his NHL debut despite some really spectacular seasons in the A.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
You know, as odd as it may sound, I think Charlotte is afraid of losing Chris Terry's scoring for their club and prefers that Carolina call up Dalpe so that Terry doesn't have to clear waivers in the middle of what is turning out to be a Calder Cup hopeful. I know you don't usually consider things like that, but Terry has been on a torrid streak for Charlotte. For him to not get a look in this cycle of forward going up and down seems really odd. Especially when you consider that his help could be used on the point of the PP where he seems to perform really well. It has to be frustrating to see Dalpe, Boychuk, Welsh, Nash, and Nodl go up and down while he has been in the organizational pipe for longer than any of them and has yet to see his NHL debut despite some really spectacular seasons in the A.

I was wondering why they didn't call up Terry sooner. But this makes perfect sense.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I was wondering why they didn't call up Terry sooner. But this makes perfect sense.

I could be entirely off base, but the fact that the guys that have been recalled for the most part have cleared this season or aren't waiver eligible seems really fishy when weighted against Terry's case. Welsh isn't eligible. Dalpe isn't eligible. Nodl isn't eligible, as he previously cleared. The only guy we tried to sneak down and didn't get was Boychuk.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I could be entirely off base, but the fact that the guys that have been recalled for the most part have cleared this season or aren't waiver eligible seems really fishy when weighted against Terry's case. Welsh isn't eligible. Dalpe isn't eligible. Nodl isn't eligible, as he previously cleared. The only guy we tried to sneak down and didn't get was Boychuk.

Does anyone know the rules for games played / time since last waivers that would require a person to go through waivers again? Nodl and Terry were both waived on the same date (Jan 16th) to be assigned to Charlotte.

EDIT: this explains it.

http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/nhl-waiver-rules-explained/

A player may be loaned to a club of another league if (a) he’s already been through waivers during the current waiver period and (b) the Player has not played in 10 or more NHL Games since the last time he went through waivers, and (c) more than 30 days have not passed since the last time he went through waivers.

That may explain why Nodl has been a recent scratch. If he played in 2 more games, he would have had to pass through waivers again to go to Charlotte (although nobody took him the last time so the risk is low). If I read it right, it also says to me that Terry COULD come up and play in up to 10 games without going through waivers again.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't recall Terry being waived this season, are you sure that transpired other than the mass exodus down to Charlotte after the rough shod training camp? I didn't think he had been recalled this year.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I don't recall Terry being waived this season, are you sure that transpired other than the mass exodus down to Charlotte after the rough shod training camp? I didn't think he had been recalled this year.

I don't think Terry was even invited to training camp, was he?

From what I see, Nodl was sent to Charlotte at the same time as Brett Sutter.

EDIT: Just checked the training camp roster, no Terry on there.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
That may explain why Nodl has been a recent scratch. If he played in 2 more games, he would have had to pass through waivers again to go to Charlotte (although nobody took him the last time so the risk is low). If I read it right, it also says to me that Terry COULD come up and play in up to 10 games without going through waivers again.

I was thinking about this a few posts earlier. Something's not right here because although Nodl hasn't played 10 or more games it has been over a month since he last cleared waivers and can still be sent down without going through waivers now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Both Terry and Nodl were waived at the same time (it's irrelevant if they were at camp or not).

http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/?article_id=1306

Aside from him and forward Andreas Nodl, the rest of the group are current Checkers who had to be exposed in order to keep their AHL assignments now that the NHL season is about to begin.

Rounding out the list of player on waivers – a necessity due to their age and experience – are forwards Nicolas Blanchard, Jerome Samson and Chris Terry, defensemen Brett Bellemore, Marc-Andre Gragnani and Justin Krueger and goalie Justin Peters.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I was thinking about this a few posts earlier. Something's not right here because although Nodl hasn't played 10 or more games it has been over a month since he last cleared waivers and can still be sent down without going through waivers now.

Yeah, I think the way it is written is confusing. Mike Smith definitely tweeted that Nodl can be reassigned without waivers after being under games played/days limit after going through waivers process.

EDIT: I found this on another website (capgeek)

If a player cleared waivers and is subsequently recalled during the same year, he does not have to clear waivers again unless he has either played 10 or more NHL games or has spent 30 or more days on an NHL roster since last clearing. Otherwise, he will have to re-clear waivers to be assigned.

Not sure how legit that is, but that one says the 30 days applies to time on the NHL roster and would make sense in Nodl's case as he was re-called on Jan 30.

Either way, I still think Terry can be re-called and spend less than 30 days and/or play less than 10 games without having to go through waivers again. I could be wrong, but that's what I've been able to conclude from the various websites I found.

Last edited:

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Alright, I think I found the reason:

Not sure if this is the case with the current CBA but the old 2005 CBA states:
the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.
Nodl cleared waivers on January 17th and was recalled on January 30th. So he hasn't been on the NHL roster for 30 days since clearing and because of that is exempt for waivers for another couple of days.

And I think Boom Boom Anton is right about Terry.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And the rule kind of make sense now that I think about it. Waivers is aimed at not allowing a team to keep a guy pinned in the minors if he has a real shot at the NHL. If you call a guy up and play him in 10 games...or keep him on the NHL roster more than 30 days, then you could argue that he should get a shot with another team if you don't want to keep him.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Both Terry and Nodl were waived at the same time (it's irrelevant if they were at camp or not).

http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/?article_id=1306

To me, that falls under the collusion act of "no poaching", in reference to why nobody was claimed. Pretty sure the GMs around the league kept their hands to themselves. I feel like if Terry was elevated now and had any degree of success, he might be a risk to be claimed.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
To me, that falls under the collusion act of "no poaching", in reference to why nobody was claimed. Pretty sure the GMs around the league kept their hands to themselves. I feel like if Terry was elevated now and had any degree of success, he might be a risk to be claimed.

A number of other guys were claimed back then (hickey, aucoin, etc..) so i don't necessarily agree that there was no poaching by gms. And if Terry was elevated now, he'd have to play 10 games or spend 30 days on the canes before he'd have to go thru waivers again anyhow.

I don't see how a fear of losing Terry to waivers is a reason why he hasn't seen a callup yet (unless my understanding of the waiver rules is wrong)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad