Pre-Game Talk: Dallas vs Vancouver 1pm start ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I had a pee-wee hockey game that afternoon and when the other kids were telling me we beat Calgary 11-0 I thought they were just messing with me.

I was coming home from a hockey game that day, too! We were driving back to Vancouver from Langley and my Dad turned on the radio and I remember being so sad it was 5-0 or something and thinking I’d missed all the goals that would be scored that day. And then they just kept scoring and scoring. I don’t know if the game was televised or not, but I vividly remember seeing a couple of those goals on TV which makes me think we made it home in time.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Anyways Stars look better than us this year but i think our guys are coming around and with a chip on the shoulder after the Las vegas loss i think we win this one 5-2 with goals by Horvat Boeser Granlund MDZ and Virtanen

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Nuts to Europe and Asia. Nuts to young families and small children. Nuts to every single person back East and in Alberta (I know the next step is to claim that this is a Maple Leafs centered conspiracy to allow more hockey on TV since we all have to play on CBC on the weekend).

I finally get off early on a Saturday, and I wanted to have several beers too many, watch the game, and get pissed off about our third party collapse.

I might sound like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm serious, nuts to those other groups of people. I'm a fan, and with the way this organization is being run, I think I deserve to be a little entitled.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hockey night in Canada. I certainly have nothing to be upset about, I get to watch hockey all day.

But, in general early starts at home can be a bit annoying, since the only reason is so that other Canadian teams get the prime-time spotlight instead. It's always been the Canucks on the shaft end of the schedule spectrum. Ottawa too. They have a 1pm eastern game.

Let's not fool ourselves, they aren't doing it for international markets or for families. They're doing it because more people will watch Toronto or Edmcdavid (although, I'll admit Vegas probably factors in as well).

I couldn't give a flying f*** what their single utmost primary reason is for doing it...
It benefits my ability to share the event with my family.

Who cares... Someone is always getting the shaft no matter what time the game is... and at the same time another group finally gets to enjoy it when they weren't able to prior. There's 82 games. It's good to spread times when they can to hit markets they otherwise never could if every game was 7pm.

I love 4pm Saturday home games as well. Ooooooo....

Reactions: Nomobo

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
1 p.m. starts are the only ones on the calendar I can conceivably go to on a day trip. I can't complain about them. And I'm used to non-showcase games in the BCHL starting at 2 p.m.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
IIRC, they were phased out for either 2008-09 or 2009-10? Bless this modern non-PPV paradigm
Cable companies are just scrambling to keep customers even paying for the service never mind PPV

We're in a golden age right now before ISP's start f***ing everyone over with their own package nonsense

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
IIRC, they were phased out for either 2008-09 or 2009-10? Bless this modern non-PPV paradigm

Yeah, I remember the PPV games.
When various Canucks players were reading from sheets of paper to promote anything non-hockey/hockey related...wouldn't hurt them for some cue cards though.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
All the western Canadian teams do this a couple times a year. Edmonton did one a couple weeks ago. My guess is Sportsnet only wants one HNIC "nightcap" game instead of splitting the audience two ways, so one of the teams is often bumped up to a matinee.

Whereas Toronto and Montreal are both allowed to play prime-time home games every single Saturday, but what can you do.

Last edited:

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
As an aside, I saw a Canucks 2019 calendar today that was so effing depressing I wanted to buy it just to burn it. Granlund, Loui, Sutter, Gudbranson, Hutton, Baertschi...12 months of mostly mediocre players who will be quickly forgotten if the day ever comes when they’re off the payroll.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I like the 1pm start every so often. I’m not going to this game but I know that taking my young children to a matinee is a lot easier to handle than a usual 7pm start. At least in this case the early start isn’t solely to cater to the “center of the universe”.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
tomorrow they will be announcing the Vancouver Overwatch League team between periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad